• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Obama achieves historic U.S. presidential victory

Please excuse me while I do not celebrate.

"Real leader"? Empty suit. Style over substance.

This is not a good thing.

Loachman said:

Loachman, you are exactly right. The USA has elected their own PET, let`s hope Obama doesn`t do as much damage as he did.

God help the USA.

God help Canada especially on trade matters.

God help the Secret Service, they will need it.

KJK :cdn:

Loachman said:

Well time to move on. McCain did say he would help Obama lead. No matter who is in charge, we all have to hope for the best.

Obama becomes first black president in landslide

McCain pledges to help Obama lead..

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/04/election.president/index.html

Obama and the dems have a very strong mandate.  The repercussions will be huge should they not be able to deliver, and they won't be able to blame anyone but themselves if they fail.  NAFTA could be an issue for us.

He has not had an opportunity to show any substance as of yet. Style.....if he can generate enthusiasm and excitement among the people at a time when the economy is going south, good for him, I hope it works.  JFK, Trudeau are two other leaders I have lived through that, while they did not have initial substance, had the style and generated the "idea of the possible"....maybe Obama will be one also, only time will tell

The election of a black man to the white house is going to have profound effects everywhere. There is going to be all kinds of messages coming out of that......most good for the USA.

Congratulations to Obama, may he do well

Good luck Mr. President - no matter who won, big issues ahead.

Already, pro-Sunni bloggers that like sharing the latest from A-Q and the Taliban have this to say - interesting references to PAK (highlights mine)....
With the elections over, President Obama will now add some flavor to the Global Crusade against Islam. The promises he makes - as any politician would do - are meaningless to the Mu’mineen because a Crusader leader will remain a Crusader leader. People are swept off of their feet for Obama for 4 major reasons:

1. His looks.
2. His extremely eloquent style of speaking and free-styling of his speeches.
3. His awareness on the uselessness of the war in ‘Iraq.
4. He’s not George W. Bush (i.e., as stupid).

One thing we know for sure is that the Pakistani Government now has massive pressure upon its shoulders if they don’t act quickly in regards to the situation in West Pakistan. This will perhaps lead to major and memorable battles in Pakistan. We expect an imminent US invasion and occupation on Pakistan before the end of this year; if not, then it will happen soon.

The Muslims who rally behind Obama are those who don’t understand their religion, no matter what title they carry in front of their name. The fact of the matter is that this Kafir1 will continue the American aggression against Islam and the Muslims. Sure, he will be more respected than George W. Bush, but this type of respect is not the type where a Muslim should ever give his Wala’ (allegiance) to him.

Nevertheless, it will be very interesting to see what the future holds and how it will play out. From what we have heard, the explosions, corruption and absurdness in Pakistan is now at an all time high. In our view, Allah is getting Pakistan ready for something huge. When ‘Iraq fell to the Americans, the corruption was at its peak in the history of ‘Iraq; but that eventually led to a huge revival of Jihad against the occupiers.

Finally, the most important point out of all of this is that any Muslim who happily supports Obama has taken part in fighting Allah, ‘Azza wa Jall. We ask Allah to protect us from the likes of these corrupt-minded Muslims.

Rasoolullah, sallallahu ‘alayhi wassallam, said that Allah Ta’ala said:

“Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him.” [Al-Bukhari; Hadith Qudsi No. 25]

1 - Non-Muslim, non-believer, infidel

Edward Campbell has a more sobering and realistic look at the challenges that face Canada now that we must deal with an Obama administration. You will note there isn't a whole lot to cheer about here:

I can't help but question Obama's moral fibre.  For 20 years he was a member of a religious congregation whose leader preached anti-Americanism and anti-Semitism.  Did Obama challenge it?  Did he leave in protest and affiliate himself with another congregation?  No.  This is telling.   

What was it Edmund Burke wrote:  "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"?  What did Obama do?  Nothing... until it became a campaign issue. And then and only then, when his fortunes were at stake,  did he decry but not denounce the hateful dogma spewed by his radical cleric.

He is undoubtedly a brilliant mind and a golden orator. But does he have the political courage to lead and deliver as promised? 

No offense to McCain (I am sure he would have made a good president also) but I am glad Obama won, and I'm glad to live during this event :)

But as others have said, the Americans may be still facing a time of trouble with their government.. Obama may be young (fairly) and hip and all that.. but he is fairly inexperienced with this sort of thing..

Good luck to him though, all the best.

When I worked for a polling firm some time ago, we did a lot of US political polling - some featuring Obama. He was popular then, long before the presidential race, so I'm not overly surprised. We did, however hear lots of nasty and  prejudicial comments. I hope he can live through his term in office, and hope he turns out to be a good and strong president.

Best wishes, President Obama.

:cdn:
Hawk

I have seen this movie before,but I wish President-elect Obama well.

Not only is it monumental and historic result, but he also has the opportunity to leave a historic legacy other than just his race.  He is the President-Elect coming into office in a Country which is almost assuredly into recession, books riddles with red ink, and 2 wars.  That is quite the plate to begin serving with.

Resolving any of these problems will help prove himself as a strong leader, however his shine will fade very quickly if jobs keep disapearing at the current rate.

Presidential results history in the making
It's U.S. President Barack Obama

WASHINGTON
LEE-ANNE GOODMAN
The Canadian Press

Barack Obama was swept to the White House on Tuesday by enraptured Americans who embraced his message of hope and turned their backs on centuries of racial division by electing their first black president.
The Illinois senator, born to a white mother and an African father 47 years ago, was elected in a momentous day that many black Americans believed they would never see.
It came some 232 years after the country was founded on the principle that all men were created equal.
“What we are witnessing in America is a non-violent revolution,” Congressman John Lewis, an iconic figure of the civil rights movement, said Tuesday night as the results rolling in suggested the Obama juggernaut was unstoppable.
“It is a revolution of values. It is a revolution of ideas.”
News of Obama’s win prompted jubilant celebrations across the United States as millions of weeping and exhilarated Americans took to the streets.
It seemed less an election and more a coronation for a man who inspired people from every walk of life with his consistent message of hope, change and promise, and his pledge to end the divisive politics of President George W. Bush.
In Obama’s hometown of Chicago, hundreds of thousands of people gathered in a city park to celebrate their native son’s entry into the history books on an unseasonably warm night.
Thousands of cheering people also assembled in New York’s Times Square in a scene more reminiscent of New Year’s Eve than election night.
John McCain, the Republican nominee, also promised change and attempted repeatedly to distance himself from Bush, but it was a message that apparently fell on deaf ears.
“We have come to the end of a long journey — the American people have spoken and they have spoken clearly,” McCain said in a gracious concession speech in Phoenix.
Upon mention of Obama’s name, the crowd booed, but McCain hushed them, referring to his rival for the White House as a “good man.”
“His success alone commands my respect for his ability and perserverence,” he said. “This is a historic election and I recognize the special significance this has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.”
It was considered a watershed moment in American history.
The U.S. economy is in a shambles. America’s prestige abroad has been battered. Victory in two wars in far-flung Iraq and Afghanistan remains elusive.
Obama’s popularity among voters reflected the fervent desire of millions of Americans to chart a new course for a country that many believe has lost its way in the past eight years.
He continued to climb in the polls throughout the campaign. Some suggest the widespread acceptance of him as a viable presidential candidate represents the passing of a torch to a new generation, one that’s racially diverse, accepting of minorities, socially progressive and weary of old-style politics.
Obama was adored by major blocs of voters, including young Americans between the ages of 18 and 30 who favoured him almost 3-1 over McCain, and African-Americans, millions of whom registered to vote for the first time in order to cast their ballots for him.
Women and Hispanic voters also flocked to him.
At a Washington, D.C., subway station on Tuesday, one black man stood in tears on the platform as he spoke of how he’d voted earlier that day.
“I never thought I’d see this day,” Sam Richardson, 65, said as he wiped tears from his face. “I just would never have believed it could happen in my lifetime.”
McCain, a moderate Republican distrusted by his party’s social conservatives, won the party’s nomination on the promise of a new direction for the United States.
The Vietnam war hero represented a repudiation of those very socially conservative ideals that had been the bedrock of his party for decades. He effectively ran his campaign against the Republicans.
Nonetheless, polls had suggested for weeks that Obama was poised to become the first African-American to be elected president.
Election day was the culmination of almost two years of politicking by McCain and Obama, who both fought tough battles during the primary season to win their respective party’s nominations.
Their showdown against one another was bare-knuckled, but the economic crisis benefited Obama, who dealt with it with assured calm, compared to McCain’s erratic responses to the financial meltdown.
McCain also faced relentless criticism for his choice of the much-maligned Sarah Palin as his running mate. After causing a brief bump in the polls for the Arizona senator soon after he chose her, the self-styled hockey mom and social conservative was a consistent drag on the Republican ticket.
Many Americans, including lifelong and prominent Republicans, said they could not vote for McCain because of Palin and would cast their ballots for Obama instead.
Palin was emotional during McCain’s concession speech, her eyes welling with tears on occasion.

I dont buy that Palin was a drag on the ticket. McCain was a flawed candidate and was lucky to do as well as he did considering the historical factors that he faced.After 8 years of control by one party the electorate tends to give the out party a chance to do better. The economy wasnt a serious issue until the credit/mortgage markets collapsed. Palin energized the base and positioned herself nicely for a run in 2012. The one lesson that the GOP has to understand is that politicians that run as conservatives win and those who are moderates/liberals lose. Michigan and Illinois rank last in the nation for economic growth.Both are run by democrat 2 term governors and yet the voters keep electing democrats.It makes me wonder how brain dead the democrat voyer must be.This is evident in the NE and west coast as well.All have poor economies all love liberal democrats. The problem is places like North Carolina are being flooded with refugee's from the blue states and yet what do they do ? They vote for liberal democrats.

Some pundit I was listening to last night was talking about how at the end of the day this was an election that both parties probably wanted the other guys to win.  Steering the US out of the mire it is in now will be a difficult job, and Obama's first term will be completely judged by it.  It's not going to be an easy job at all, but overall I think he's up to the job, and where he lacks he seems adept in seeking and accepting advice.  I didn't really see McCain as having any really big, dynamic plans or vision, and that's what Obama did that really captured a lot of votes.  As for Palin, well, that was the nail in the GOP coffin I'm reasonably sure.

At the end of the day would McCain's experience in the Hanoi Hilton make him a better president really?  Obama has in a relatively short life done a lot of things - he came basically from nothing, it's sort of a great American Dream-ish story.  That too I think sparked a lot of people.  As for sending troops into harm's way - he plans to make sure the US gets out of Iraq in a responsible way, and wants to commit more forces to Afghanistan.  He also talked about being a little more firm with Pakistan which is crucial.

As for "negotiating with terrorists", I presume you are referring to his plan to open diplomatic channels with countries like Iran without preconditions.  I view that as a positive thing - bringing those sorts of countries into more normalized diplomatic relations is the best hope of ever getting them to stop being a problem.  Isolating them hasn't done anything positive.

Overwatch Downunder said:
As much as I would rather support a Republican government, the people have spoke, and made their choice. Here is whats in the Regina Leader Post has to say ......  

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/index.html

Regardsless of who sits in the Oval Office, it will be a rough ride.

I do not agree many/most, if not all of his intended policies, and he has no experience in the calibre of this leadership, plus his arrorgance is a shocker IMHO. I guess time will tell. Just because he is well groomed and can talk well does not make him a good leader. I find him rather plastic (the likes of Barbie's Ken in appearance) to be honest.

With McCain, with age comes wisdom with life experience, and he is a veteran too, with all those years in the Hanoi Hilton, beaten and tortured. He knows life on the edge, sacrifice, and the decision of troops going into harms way he can identify with, then there is BHO, who wants to negociate with terrorists.

Good luck Yanks, you'll need it.

OWDU

Kat Stevens said:
Ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".

Another Chinese curse: "Be careful what you wish for."

All those people who are wetting their pants about Obama winning may come to regret it. He has connections to some shady people to say the least (e.g. Ayers, Wright, ACORN, etc).  They have been several alleged cases of ARCORN being involved in voter fraud. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. Also worrying is how the Democrats went after anybody who criticized Obama (e.g) The Democrats using official government resources to get dirt on Joe the Plumber. Something to keep in mind.

I haven't seen the results from the Senate elections, so I don't know if the Democrats gained control or not. If so, then they will pretty much have absolute powerand pus any measure through (e.g nomination of members to the Supreme Court). That, coupled with an adoring public, a co-opted media/ intelligentsia does not bode well for the future. As much as some of us may despise the media, they do have a function in keeping government honest by exposing abuses/coverups. Watergate, the My Lia Massacre being examples of cover ups exposed by the media. However, with Obama, the media is so enthralled by him that they ignored anything that might tarnish his shining white armour. Again, not a good situation.

It will also be interesting to see how many of his promises he implements (e.g.) taxing the so-called "rich people" and reinstitution of the Fairness Doctrine as championed by Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats. These could be (will be!) very divisive. How the Democrats handle the current economic situation will also be interesting.

As for those who think Obama's election will improve the U.S.' international standing; don't hold your breath. Things may be pretty rosy at first, but that will wear off quickly. Especially, if, as believed, Obama starts asking our NATO allies to start ponying up more troops for Afghanistan. Then you'll see a change in opinion!

Now I could be wrong, its happened before. And I hope I'm wrong. Maybe Obama will be one of the great president's, but my initial feelings say otherwise.

I'll leave you with another quotation, courtesy of John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton; “And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. All power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

Off topic by for Retired AF Guy.

Democrats hold control of Senate, House
Last Updated: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 | 9:19 AM ET CBC News

On the same night their leader was elected president, the Democrats won enough seats to maintain control of the U.S. Senate, although it seemed doubtful they would garner a filibuster-proof 60 seats.

Barack Obama handily defeated his rival John McCain to be elected the first black president of the United States.

With 32 of 35 Senate races called Tuesday night, Democrats were guaranteed at least a 54-41 advantage, including two holdover independents who vote with Democrats. The majority was declared following several key Democratic wins in Republican strongholds such as North Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia and New Mexico.

But three states were still too close to call: Alaska, Georgia and Oregon.

With 99 per cent of the precincts reporting, controversial Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska was slightly leading his Democratic opponent Mark Begich, the mayor of Anchorage. Stevens, 84, the U.S. Senate's longest-serving Republican, was convicted last month on several felony charges.

The charges stemmed from claims that he received free home renovations and other gifts worth more than $250,000 US from his friend and millionaire oil contractor, VECO Corp. chief executive Bill Allen.

In another high profile race, Republican incumbent Norm Coleman narrowly beat Democrat Al Franken, the former Saturday Night Live writer and actor, in Minnesota.

Earlier, State Senator Kay Hagan unseated Republican incumbent Elizabeth Dole in the race in North Carolina, where the seat had been held by a Republican for 35 years.

Hagan's victory followed a similar Democratic grab in Virginia, where former state governor Mark Warner was in competition to replace a retiring five-term Republican senator. Warner was up against another former governor, Republican Jim Gilmore.

New Hampshire also changed from red to blue after the first woman elected governor there, Jeanne Shaheen, beat Republican incumbent John Sununu. In New Mexico, Democrat Tom Udall won the seat that had been held by Republican Pete Domenici.

Going into Tuesday's election, the Democrats held a 51-49 majority in the Senate, but their edge was maintained only by the support of two independents who have voted with Democrats the past two years.

One of them, Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, campaigned on behalf of McCain in the 2008 election.

Obama's running mate Joe Biden won another six-year term representing Delaware in the Senate, however, both his and Obama's Senate seats will now be filled by appointees chosen by the governors of Delaware and Illinois.

Economic woes, compounded by widespread distaste for the administration of current U.S. President George W. Bush, could help the Democrats in their drive to dominate Congress and add to the six Senate seats they gained in 2006.

Voters reportedly packed the polls to vote for 35 Senate seats being elected Tuesday night. Of the 35 races on Tuesday's ballot, 23 were held by Republicans, 12 by Democrats.

Leaders in both parties, however, have admitted that a 60-40 Democratic majority that would prevent Republican senators from blocking bills and judicial nominees is unlikely.

Democrats were also expected to gain about 20 more House of Representatives seats to give them a strong majority Tuesday night.

"It's the night we have been waiting for," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

"This will be a wave upon a wave."

Democrats controlled the House of Representatives by a 235-199 margin, with one vacancy, before the election. In 2006, they won 30 seats and control of Congress in a surge powered by voter anger over the Iraq war.

With fewer than a dozen races still undecided, Democrats had made gains, winning at least 251 seats. The Republicans had won 173 seats.

With files from the Associated Press

The same can be said of John McCain - or most poltiicians for that matter - they're supposed to be all about style - policy formation, decision making, etc, are the domain of the backroomers, and it's the mandarins that really run most countries anyhow.

Loachman said:

Back