• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Chechen Fighters in Afghanistan

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
The following letter, which appeared in the 16 September edition of the National Post, is reproduced under the provisions of the copyright act. Comments, please.

No Chechen fighters are in Afghanistan
National Post
Published: Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Re: Foreign Troops Tougher Enemy, Matthew Fisher, Sept. 24.

Since 2001, the National Post has reported that Chechens formed, first, the "hard core" of al-Qaeda troops in Afghanistan, and, now, the "hard core" of Taliban fighters in combat against Canadian troops. In doing so, the Post has bought into one of the most bizarre and preposterous myths of the post-9/11 world -- the idea that a tiny Chechen resistance movement locked in a life or death struggle with the vast Russian military routinely sends large expeditionary corps of fanatical and highly trained mujahadeen to every conflict in the world involving Muslims.

Even the Russian-backed President of Chechnya declared last month that there were no Chechen militant groups capable of mounting large-scale attacks in Chechnya or beyond. Whatever one may think of the Chechen insurgency, it remains a simple fact that the number of Chechens killed or captured in Afghanistan since 2001 remains zero. Most disappointing are the assertions from within the Canadian military that they are at war with Chechens. Our troops deserve better intelligence work than this.

It is a serious matter to continually allege that the people of another nation are at war with Canada without proof; it is mischief at best and provocation at worst. To my knowledge, no Chechen leader, insurgent or loyalist, has ever even expressed an opinion on Canada, much less engaged us in battle.

If the National Post or the Canadian Forces have any hard evidence that Chechen fighters are engaged against NATO troops in Afghanistan, they should present it. Otherwise it is time to find a new bogeyman and let this myth die its long overdue death.

Andrew McGregor, Aberfoyle International Security, Toronto.

well.... I would say that it is easier for the public to digest the Afghan mission when it said that we are defending the Afghan people and that it is the bad TB & AQ terrorists from  outide the country that are causing all the problems.

Is it true?... who knows - the people we are facing ARE tough & tenacious... regardless of where they come from.  Also, given the ethnic mix of the Afghan people, how can anyone tell if outsiders are involved

Old Sweat said:
Most disappointing are the assertions from within the Canadian military that they are at war with Chechens.
I may have missed this report, but that is a source which should be confirmed, and if already done which should be looked into more closely.

Well, while I was over there, we were never told we were "at war with the Chechen's."  HOWEVER, we were told by the troops of the outgoing roto that there were foreign fighters in country, and that the Chechen's were the hardest of the bunch, and fairly professional too. In addition, I was told in several O-groups about the presence of foreign fighters, and Chechen's were indeed mentioned. Did I ever see them personally? No. Does that mean they aren't in Afghanistan? No.  I refer you to the book "My Jihad" by Aukai Collins, wherein he tells his story of being an American and joining the jihad. He tells of being recruited in the states, trained in Pakistan, going to the Former Republic of Yugoslavia, fighting there, and then going to Chechnya. He also tells of some of the inner workings of the jihad. He tells of infighting and logistical nightmares and poor leadership, which lead to him leaving the FRY for Chechnya but finding things not to be much better there. From what I remember of the book, any Muslim can join the jihad, and the more fanatical gravitate to the more intense combat zones. During the author's time in the jihad, there were several conflict areas, including the FRY, Chechnya, and eventually Afghanistan. That being said, I do not doubt the presence of some hardline Chechen jihadists in Afghanistan. However, no one has ever said that battalions or companies of Chechen jihadists were present, merely that they were in country along with other foreign fighters following the jihad. Also, no one has ever told me that we were at war with Chechnya. For the author of this letter to call BS on the presence of foreign fighters is naive on his part and shows his level of understanding of the nature of jihad. That being said, I'm no expert either, but I'll take the word of troops on the ground over an "analyst" any day.

Old Sweat said:
Even the Russian-backed President of Chechnya declared last month that there were no Chechen militant groups capable of mounting large-scale attacks in Chechnya or beyond.

What I put in bold is key.  The Russian-backed Pres is NOT saying that there are no Chechen "militant groups" in Afghanistan (or "beyond Chechnya").  He is simply saying that they don't have the capability of mounting large-scale attacks.  That is all.

Uhm I beg to differ about no Chechen's PUC'd

This guy is an a$$ hat pure and simple. I'm not sure what his credentials are as a "security consultant" or "expert" but he clearly hasn't read many of the OSINT sources available regarding foreign fighters in Afghanistan. Read Inside Al Qaeda by Rohan Gunaratna, The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright, Taliban by Ahmed Rashid or any of the following articles:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0326/p06s01-woeu.html
http://muslimvillage.net/story.php?id=370
http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=251023

In addition to Chechens, there are also reports of Syrians, Algerians, Egytians, Saudis, Yemenis, Sudanese, and of course Pakistani fighters traveling to Afghanistan to fight.

What's this guy's agenda?

MG

He is probably fishing for OPSEC.

His handlers want to know how NATO I.D.s Taliban bodies and so on.

Tell him nothing.

The way the article is written, it sounds like the guy based all his conclusions on OSINT sources, and not very reliable ones at that. 

TCBF said:
He is probably fishing for OPSEC.

His handlers want to know how NATO I.D.s Taliban bodies and so on.

Tell him nothing.

I have to agree...

IMO; Been there, seen what I've seen, and I'm not going to fuel the fire of speculation by passing on OPSEC information. 
But, with that said; are there foreign fighters in AFG; YES! a lot of them... they're the ones who like the head on fights.  All they have to lose it their own life and all they want to do is kill infidels (or get paid).  Most of the Afghan "fighters" I saw had families, some of whom have been killed or injured, or their livestock/land has been destroyed by "westerners", or they're just pissy at us for what ever reason... either way, they had the habit of coming to the road (or position we were in), firing some small arms and RPGs and trying to run away before the 25s could return fire.  They had lots to lose... like family.

Anyway, Chechens or not..  they're there... and they like to fight.. and they ain't local.

But again, this article is just stirring the pot and could potentially get people hurt.

Infidel-6 said:

The NEWEST int discipline!  This was my first out loud laugh of the day - thx!

Mortar guy said:
What's this guy's agenda?

Who knows what clients any private sector company or analyst in a Western free-market economy may or may not represent?  ::)

That said, he does appear to have written a bit, including "YouTube: The New Video Front for Chechnya’s Mujahideen", "Chechen Troops Accompany Russian Soldiers in Lebanon" and "Radical Ukrainian Nationalism and the War in Chechnya".

That was funny. We should have said yes and then just stared at the guy with our scariest interrogator stares.

;D

Actually putting on some rubber gloves and a rubber apron and reply "do you want me to be an interrogator ?"

Like the "investigators" in a different thread, this guy didn't spend much time or effort in research. He would have come to some interesting conclusions looking up the Taliban and AQ fighters the Afghans collectively call "The Arabs".

Another opinion - just to show that everybody's got one  :)

At least this one ends with a useful conclusion.

Article Link

Outside fighters join Taliban

Calgary Herald

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Those wishing to know what Afghanistan would be like if the western allies lose heart and abandon the Kabul government to its fate should not look just at the old Taliban regime. Rather, they should consider who is actually confronting NATO forces there these days.

Afghan fighters have been increasingly joined by foreign extremists -- "Chechens, Egyptians, Saudis, Pakistanis, guys from the Yemen" -- in the words of a Canadian sergeant.

The war has thus become a test of wills between western liberal democracies and a loose coalition of Islamist radicals from many parts of the Muslim world.

Should one suppose that victory won, these people would shake hands with the leaders of a Taliban-redux government, then all return home?

Or, should one assume they would build on what they had won, and Afghanistan would be back as a secure base for terror?

Neither is much of a prospect for ordinary Afghans. More to the point, it is not much of a prospect for the West either, if a large no-go area is re-established, in which zealots who hate our way of life can gather to plot its destruction.

It is a pessimistic thought, but the West will either deal with these people in Afghanistan, or in its own cities.

This is not a war from which one can withdraw on a date of one's own choosing.

© The Calgary Herald 2007

Emphasis added is mine.

tomahawk6 said:
Actually putting on some rubber gloves and a rubber apron and reply "do you want me to be an interrogator ?"

...the wrong kind of interrogator...

Heck, even the UN Secretary General's latest report on AFG talks very specifically about foreign help coming to help the Taliban:
Following counter-insurgency operations in the south and east, the Taliban have lost a significant number of senior and mid-level commanders. In Hilmand, Kunar, Paktya and Uruzgan Provinces, insurgent leaders have been forced to put foreigners in command positions, further undermining the limited local bases of support. This has heightened the importance to the Taliban of the support it receives from the border regions of Pakistan.

Back