• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nijmegen Marches - Merged Thread

PViddy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any information on the Nijmegen Marches as it pretains to the CF.  Particularly, how do you apply, who can go ?  Any information pretaining to the March would be greatly appreciated.  Hoepfully this is in the topic forum, if not i am sure the Mods will sort me out  :salute: .

Thanks ahead of time folks.

cheers

PV

Though the biggest IML marching event, the Nijmegen marches is not the only one of its kind.
Last year I joined the marching team of the University of the German Armed Forces in the 7th Annual Blossomwalks marching-festival. This took place in Victoria/Vancouver Island, where the Canadian Pacific Fleet is stationed.

A thing I missed were CANADIAN SOLDIERS! DonÂ't you know of this event? Or do NAVY-Soldiers not march and ARMY-Soldiers not travel??
If anyone is interested in doinÂ' this march, look at

http://www.walkvictoria.ca/

WeÂ'll be there again. Watch out for the German flag on the horizon   ;)

Cya   :salute:
Manuel

I am still looking for any infor on the Nijmegan marches as it pretains to the CF.  How do i go etc.  any info would be appreciated.

thanks

PV

Let your chain of command know that you're interested.

In my Brigade, at least, a message was sent down that filtered to all the troops in the unit (but we're also a small unit) for returns of who wanted to go on Nijmegen. A buddy and I said yes, but we're still waiting to be put on a team.

There was also a training requirement stipulated, that you have to march 500km with your team otherwise they will not send you.

Is travel etc. covered by the CF ? assigned to a team locally i assume ? 

PV

I think travel costs would be covered by the CF for the CF authorized teams, otherwise my just-graduated-starving-student budget won't be able to cover it..

From what I've been hearing back, the team will be local, formed from 41 brigade members, but nothing has been confirmed to us regarding this team, or us getting on a team, and I'm starting to get concerned, as 500km as a team is a lot of ground to cover, and IMHO a much more difficult task to organize than marching 500km as an individual.. But that's the way the Army works ;)

Regarding the origional post, I think that would be great to make it out for that, but unfortunatley I'll be starting my final exams at that time  .

I just did the 89th Nijmegen March where I met some fantastic people from Cananda. I think they were from an Ontario based unit and went by the shortname CSRCT or something like that. One of them worked as a radio operator in a school training others.

If anybody has some info on the army contingency from Canada this year - please drop me a line on how to locate some of these people.

Best regards
Lancecorporal Morten Kviesgaard

Well there was a post I read just after reading your's on one of the newsgroups about someone from the Canadian team I guess who was over there for the same thing..
I posted a message about your reference, and hopefully someone will get back to you on here, if not, and you are used to newsgroups check out this news group called can.community.military  if you do a search you'll probably come up with something as well...
Anyhow hopefully someone will get back to you...

Now as per your Unit group, Unfortuneately I don't know CSRCT, the sigs are or would be trained in Kingston, and the training school is CFSCE..
Well hopfully someone will find the post I also made and again get back to you... Good luck...

Can someone with access to the DIN copy and paste me CANFORGEN 037 06 -- it pertains to this year's Nijmegan.

Thanks.

[quote author=CANFORGEN 037 06]
CANFORGEN 037/06 CEFCOM 053/06 031600Z MAR 06
OP NIJMEGEN 2006 - CEFCOM OP O 800 (001/2006)
UNCLASSIFIED
REF: CDS DIRECTIVE 019/06 2214Z FEB 06
1. SITUATION 

1.A. THE NIJMEGEN INTERNATIONAL FOUR-DAYS MARCH IS HELD ANNUALLY IN THE NETHERLANDS. THIS
RIGOROUS AND PRESTIGIOUS EVENT DRAWS APPROX 45,000 MARCHERS FROM 50 COUNTRIES AND IS
WITNESSED BY OVER 1 MILLION SPECTATORS. CANADA HAS PARTICIPATED SINCE 1952 

1.B. MILITARY ENTRANTS COMPLETE THE FOUR-DAY 160-KM (4 X 40-KM) MARCH IN CADPAT UNIFORM,
CARRYING A MINIMUM RUCKSACK LOAD OF 10-KG 

1.C. THIS YEAR, THE 90TH NIJMEGEN MARCHES (NM) WILL BE HELD 18 - 21 JUL 06. AS DIRECTED AT REF, THE
CF WILL PARTICIPATE IN RECOGNITION OF THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP EXISTING BETWEEN CANADA AND
THE NETHERLANDS SINCE THE SECOND WORLD WAR. CF PARTICIPATION WILL BE UNDER THE DIRECTION
OF CEFCOM 

1.D. THE THEME OF PARTICIPATION IS NATIONAL REPRESENTATION. PARTICIPANTS ARE TO COME FROM
ACROSS THE BREADTH OF THE CF INCL REPS FROM ACROSS RANKS, TRADES, ENVIRONMENTS AND
PROVINCES. TEAMS ARE TO BE LARGELY COMPOSED OF FIRST-TIME PARTICIPANTS. IDEALLY, TEAMS
SHOULD INCLUDE A MAXIMUM OF TWO PERS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY PARTICIPATED IN THE NM TO PROVIDE
FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF THE EVENT. WHILE TEAM MARCH TRG WILL DETERMINE THE SUITABILITY OF
VOLUNTEERS FOR THE EVENT, NATIONAL REPRESENTATION WILL BE THE OVERRIDING CRITERIA APPLIED
FOR FINAL SELECTION. COMDS AND GROUP PRINCIPALS ARE REQUESTED TO ENSURE THEIR TEAM(S)
COMPOSITION REFLECT THIS
2. MISSION. THE CF WILL PARTICIPATE IN THE NIJMEGEN MARCHES
3. EXECUTION 

3.A. CONCEPT OF OPS 

3.A.(1) CDN PARTICIPATION IN THE NM WILL BE PLANNED AND ORGANIZED AS A CF TRG ACTIVITY UNDER
THE NAME QUOTE OPERATION NIJMEGEN 2006 UNQUOTE. THE FULL JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 WILL CONSIST OF
APPROXIMATELY 170 PERSONNEL OF THE REGULAR AND PRIMARY RESERVE FORCE FROM ACROSS THE CF
ORGANIZED INTO 12 TEAMS OF 11 PERSONNEL EACH, A SMALL NUMBER OF INDEPENDENT MARCHERS, AND
A SMALL SUPPORT STAFF. THE CONTINGENT MAY BE AUGMENTED BY OTHER MARCHERS FROM RELATED
ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS THE RCMP, MP S, SENATOR, LEGION, ETC SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF
SUFFICIENT AIRLIFT AND BUDGET 

3.A.(2) OP NIJMEGEN WILL BE CONDUCTED IN A MANNER SIMILAR TO ALL CDN OPS. COMDS SHALL ENSURE
THEIR TEAMS HAVE MET THE TRAINING STANDARD AND ARE OPERATIONALLY READY TO DEPLOY. TEAMS
SHALL TRAIN AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. CENTRAL FUNDING WILL BE PROVIDED FOR JTF NIJMEGEN 2006
PERS FROM THE RESPECTIVE CDN AIRPORT OF EMBARKATION (APOE) TO THE RESPECTIVE CDN AIRPORT
OF DEBARKATION (APOD). THIS INCLUDES COSTS FOR MARCHER REGISTRATION, RATIONS, QUARTERS AND
FIELD OPERATION ALLOWANCE (FOA). IT IS EXPECTED THAT A MAXIMUM OF ELEVEN DAYS WILL BE
REQUIRED AS FOLLOWS: 

3.A.(2)(A) TRAVEL TO NETHERLANDS 1 DAY 

3.A.(2)(B) ORGANIZATION, ADMINISTRATION AND ACCLIMATIZATION 2 DAYS 

3.A.(2)(C) MARCH (OPENING CEREMONIES PLUS 4 DAYS MARCH) 5 DAYS 

3.A.(2)(D) REST (MEDICAL RECOVERIES, REST AND RECUPERATION INCLUDES A MOVE FROM NIJMEGEN TO
HARSKAMP) 2 DAYS 

3.A.(2)(E) TRAVEL TO CANADA 1 DAY 

3.B. TASKS. RECOGNIZING THE CURRENT HIGH TEMPO OF ACTIVITY WITHIN THE CF, IT IS EMPHASIZED THAT
THE ALLOCATIONS BELOW ARE DEPENDANT ON THE AVAILABILITY OF PERSONNEL. THESE TENTATIVE TEAM
ALLOCATIONS ARE BASED ON A BALANCE BETWEEN HISTORICAL PARTICIPATION AND CURRENT
COMPONENT COMMAND (CC) STRENGTH 

3.B.(1) CMS 

3.B.(1)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS TWO TEAMS 

3.B.(1)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO OIC SUPPORT (MAJ J.F. STOREY J1 RES
CFJHQ 613-541-5010 EXTN 4349 OR EMAIL) BY 10 MAR 06 

3.B.(1)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAMS IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES 

3.B.(2) CLS 

3.B.(2)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS FOUR TEAMS 

3.B.(2)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO OIC SUPPORT (MAJ J.F. STOREY J1 RES

3.B.(2)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAMS IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES 

3.B.(3) CAS 

3.B.(3)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS THREE TEAMS 

3.B.(3)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO OIC SUPPORT (MAJ J.F. STOREY J1 RES

3.B.(3)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAMS IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES 

3.B.(3)(D) PROVIDE CF AIRLIFT (CC-150 PREFERRED) FROM CANADIAN APOE(S) TO LILLE FRANCE AND
RETURN TO CANADIAN APOD(S). THE FOLLOWING PRELIMINARY AIRLIFT PLAN IS PROVIDED FOR PLANNING
PURPOSES (READ IN FOUR COLUMNS - ETA/LOCATION/ETD/REMARKS) 

3.B.(3)(E)(I) NA/VICTORIA/14 JUL/EMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(II) 14 JUL/EDMONTON/14 JUL/EMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(III) 14 JUL/WINNIPEG/14 JUL/EMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(IV) 14 JUL/TRENTON/14 JUL/EMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(V) 14 JUL/HALIFAX/14 JUL/EMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(VI) 15 JUL/LILLE, FRANCE/ALTERNATE EINDHOVEN NL/ DISEMBARK (TBD) 

3.B.(3)(E)(VII) NA/EINDHOVEN/24 JUL/EMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(VIII) 24 JUL/HALIFAX/24 JUL/DISEMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(IX) 24 JUL/TRENTON/24 JUL/DISEMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(X) 24 JUL/WINNIPEG/24 JUL/DISEMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(XI) 24 JUL/EDMONTON/24 JUL/DISEMBARK 

3.B.(3)(E)(XII) 24 JUL/VICTORIA/NA/DISEMBARK 

3.B.(4) ADM(HR-MIL) 

3.B.(4)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS ONE TEAM 

3.B.(4)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO OIC SUPPORT (MAJ J.F. STOREY J1 RES

3.B.(4)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAM IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES 

3.B.(5) CANOSCOM 

3.B.(5)(A) COORD STRAT AIRLIFT OF PERS FROM APOE TO APOD WITH 1CAD AND CEFCOM 

3.B.(5)(B) CONDUCT MED RECCE/LIAISON WITH CFSU(E)/HNS. QUERIES TO OIC SUPPORT MAJ J.F. STOREY J1
RES CFJHQ 613-541-5010 EXTN 4349 OR EMAIL 

3.B.(5)(C) PRODUCE MED ESTIMATE AND MED PLAN FOR OP 

3.B.(5)(D) PROVIDE ROLE 1 HSS TO JTF NIJMEGEN AND COORD PROVISION OF ROLE 2 AND 3 HSS THROUGH
HNS 

3.B.(6) ADM(IM) 

3.B.(6)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS ONE TEAM 

3.B.(6)(B) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC. NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO OIC SUPPORT (MAJ J.F. STOREY J1 RES

3.B.(6)(C) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAM IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES 

3.B.(7) NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION (NCR) 

3.B.(7)(A) INITIAL ALLOCATION IS ONE TEAM 

3.B.(7)(A)(I) TEAM TO CONSIST OF PERSONNEL FROM THE NCR 

3.B.(7)(A)(II) APPOINT AN NDHQ POC (TEAM LEADER NAME). NAME TO BE FORWARDED TO OIC SUPPORT (MAJ
J.F. STOREY J1 RES CFJHQ 613-541-5010 EXTN 4349 OR EMAIL) BY 10 MAR 06 

3.B.(7)(A)(III) TRAIN AND SELECT THE TEAM IAW ABOVE GUIDELINES 

3.B.(7)(B) CA NMR SHAPE 

3.B.(7)(B)(I) PROVIDE LOGISTICAL SUPPORT (TRANSPORT, LAUNDRY, AND COMMS) 

3.B.(8) VCDS 

3.B.(8)(A) REF EMAIL FROM CFSU(OTTAWA) DATED 4 JAN 06, CFSU(O) HAS AGREED TO: 

3.B.(8)(A)(I) ARRANGE TN FOR AND FUND THE OFFICIAL NCR (NDHQ) REPRESENTATIVE TEAM FOR OP
NIJMEGEN PERSONNEL TO/FM CDN APOE AND APOD 

3.C. FOR PLANNING PURPOSES, MILESTONES ARE AS FOLLOWS 

3.C.(1) COMDS/GROUP PRINCIPALS TO NOMINATE POC - 10 MAR 06 

3.C.(2) APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR TEAM NOMINATIONS - 15 MAR 06 

3.C.(3) COMDS/GROUP PRINCIPALS TO ADVISE COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 OF ABILITY TO MEET TEAM ALLOC -
17 MAR 06 

3.C.(4) COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 ANNOUNCES TEAM ALLOCATIONS - 03 APR 06 

3.C.(5) APPROX START OF TRG PERIOD - 05 APR 06 

3.C.(6) OP NIJMEGEN RECCE - 23 - 30 APR 06 

3.C.(7) TEAM READY DECLARATIONS TO COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 - 15 JUN 06 

3.C.(8) ADV PARTY TRAVEL TO NL - 10 JUL 06 

3.C.(9) OP NIJMEGEN SEND-OFF PARADE AT THE CANADIAN WAR MUSEUM OTTAWA - 12 JUL 06 

3.C.(10) JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 TRAVEL TO NL - 14 JUL 06 (ARRIVES AM 15 JUL 06) 

3.C.(11) A SPONSOR HAS PROPOSED FUNDING A VISIT TO VIMY RIDGE BY THE CONTINGENT. SHOULD THIS
MATERIALIZE, THIS VISIT WOULD OCCUR ON ARRIVAL WITH BUS TN TO NIJMEGEN ARRIVING LATE PM 15 JUL

3.C.(12) NM 2006 - 18 - 21 JUL 06 

3.C.(13) MOVE TO HARSKAMP - 22 JUL 06 

3.C.(14) REST AND RECOVERY - 23 JUL 06 

3.C.(15) CONTINGENT RETURNS TO CANADA - 24 JUL 06 

3.D. PA POLICY. PA STANCE FOR THIS OP IS PROACTIVE 

3.E. PASSPORTS. ALL JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 PERSONNEL WILL REQUIRE A PASSPORT. THOSE PERSONNEL NOT
IN POSSESSION OF EITHER A GREEN (SPECIAL) OR BLUE PASSPORT ARE TO APPLY FOR A GREEN
PASSPORT THROUGH DTM PASSPORTS AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY. APPLICATIONS MUST BE
ACCOMPANIED BY PHOTOS AND COMPLETED CFAO 20-1 ANNEX B 

3.F.(1) TRAINING. THE MINIMUM TRAINING STANDARD FOR EACH TEAM MEMBER IS: 

3.F.(1)(A) 500 KM MARCHING WITH THEIR TEAM 

3.F.(1)(B) TWO 40 KM MARCHES CONDUCTED ON CONSECUTIVE DAYS WITH THEIR TEAM
4. SERVICE SUPPORT 

4.A. THE FOLLOWING AUGMENTATION IS REQUIRED: 

4.A.(1) DRIVERS - THREE MCPL/CPL/PTE DRIVERS FOR 9 PASSENGER VANS WITH STANDARD TRANSMISSION 

4.A.(2) DRIVER - ONE MCPL/CPL DRIVER FOR 7 TON TRUCK WITH STANDARD TRANSMISSION AND AIR BRAKES 

4.A.(3) COOKS - 1 X MCPL, 2 X CPL/PTE 

4.A.(4) ONE SGT/MCPL CONTINGENT QUARTERMASTER (MUST BE ABLE TO DRIVE 9 PASSENGER VAN
STANDARD TRANSMISSION) 

4.A.(5) ONE SGT CANTEEN MANAGER 

4.A.(6) TWO CPL/PTE GENERAL DUTY PERS 

4.B. INTERESTED PERSONNEL SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR REQUEST TO VOLUNTEER VIA THE CHAIN OF
COMMAND. REQUESTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO OP NIJMEGEN POC (MAJ J.F. STOREY J1 RES CFJHQ 613-
541-5010 EXTN 4349 OR EMAIL) NLT 01 MAY 06. EVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE TO OBTAIN MAX ASSISTANCE
FROM UK AND NL CONTINGENTS AS IN THE PAST. ADDITIONAL SUPPORT TO BE PROVIDED FROM CFSU(E) AS
RESOURCES PERMIT
5. COMMAND AND SIGNALS 

5.A. COMMAND AND CONTROL. BGEN R.R.ROMSES, CANADIAN DEFENCE LIAISON STAFF (LONDON) IS
APPOINTED COMMANDER JTF NIJMEGEN 2006. CEFCOM WILL ISSUE TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR COMD JTF
NIJMEGEN NLT 1 JUN 06. PRIOR TO AND DURING DEPLOYMENT COMD JTF NIJMEGEN WILL REPORT TO THE
COMD CEFCOM 

5.B. CF PERS PARTICIPATING IN OP NIJMEGEN 2006 WILL TOCA TO COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 FOR THE
DURATION OF NM 2006 FROM APOE TO THE NETHERLANDS AND RETURN TO APOD 

5.C. COMD JTF NIJMEGEN 2006 IS AUTHORIZED TO RELEASE ALL SUBSEQUENT OP NIJMEGEN 2006
MESSAGES ON MY BEHALF 

5.D. POC 

5.D.(1) MAJ NOWAK, INTERNATIONAL PLANS 2-1, STRATEGIC JOINT STAFF, 613-996-1440 

5.D.(2) MAJ TASCHEREAU, J3 PLANS 7, CEFCOM,(613)944-8257 

5.D.(3) BGEN R.R. ROMSES, COMD JTF NIJMEGEN, CDLS(L), TEL: 44 20 7248 6400 OR CELL: 44 07770 348 045 

5.D.(4) LCOL L.G. DEZIEL, D/COMD, CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER, DGAEPM, CSN 990-9761 OR COMM 613-990-

5.D.(5) MAJ J.F. STOREY, OIC SP, J1 RES CFJHQ, CSN 271-4349 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 4349 

5.D.(6) CAPT R.A. DOUTHWAITE, LO, SO COMD CFJHQ, CSN 271-8316 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 8316 

5.D.(7) CAPT M.F. COTTON, FIN O, CFJHQ J8 FIN, CSN 271-4361 OR COMM 613-541-5010 EXT 4361 

5.D.(8) MAJ P.D. GILLIES, REAR PARTY, J3 CFJHQ, CSN 271-4145 OR COMM (613) 541-5010 EXT 4145 

5.D.(8)(1) SILENT HOURS, CFJHQ DUTY O, CELL (613) 540-4796, PAGER (613) 650-3690 

5.D.(8)(2) COMMISSIONAIRE, (613) 541-4135 

5.D.(9) LT K.M. ALLAN, PUBLIC AFFAIRS, CEFCOM PA,995-5297 

5.D.(10) CWO L.O. VEINOT, CONTINGENT SERGEANT-MAJOR, GP CWO, 72 COMM GP HQ, 902-427-5265 

5.D.(11) CAPT S. HARVIE, CANOSCOM MOV PLANS, 613-992-8028 

5.D.(12) CANOSCOM MOV OPS, 613-996-2601 FAX 613-992-7953, CELL 613-850-302 

5.D.(13) CANOSCOM HSS OPS, LCDR A.ARSENEAU, 613-995-4193
[/quote]
Here you go

First time I see a CANFORGEN with smilies... Now that's a change for the better !!!  ;D

lol Jungle, I just noticed that, too. I guess they're subconsciously telling us to be happy soldiers ;)

They wanted names in by 10 mar? God, that's excessively early.

Not really...  The Victoria crew has been doing doing 10k rucks 4 times a week.  I guess they want ample time for training.

T

http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?article=38750&section=104

Deaths prompt end to Four Days Marches in Netherlands
U.S. military participants healthy, but intense heat claims 2 others

By Matt Millham, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Thursday, July 20, 2006

Michael Abrams / S&S
Members of the 66th Military Intelligence Group from Darmstadt, Germany, march through the Dutch country-side in a previous International Four Days March of Nijmegen. This year’s edition was cancelled after the first day of marching due to the heat.

The International Four Days Marches event in Nijmegen, Netherlands, was canceled after one day following the heat-related deaths of two marchers on Tuesday.

It was the first time the event has been canceled for anything other than a world war.

“With great regret we have decided last night to cancel the 90th Four Days Marches,” Wim Jansen, chairman of the organization that runs the marches, wrote in a letter posted Wednesday on the event’s Web site.

The names of the two dead marchers have not been released. A press release from the public affairs office at the U.S. Army base in Schinnen, Netherlands, said all U.S. personnel taking part in the march were accounted for, and that none were seriously ill or injured. About 300 U.S. personnel were participating in the event, which began as a military training exercise in 1909.

Of 19 U.S. military teams that competed, seven completed the first day’s march in the required time, said Laurri Garcia, a spokesman for U.S. Army Garrison Schinnen. Only three of those teams finished the day without having a team member drop out.

“Because the temperatures rose steeply in the second half of the afternoon, hundreds of people became sick,” Jansen wrote, referring to Tuesday’s march. Weather forecasts called for the heat wave to continue, prompting organizers to pull the plug on the event after one day on the trail.

Both marchers and spectators were struck by heat-related illness as the temperature climbed to 95 degrees Fahrenheit by Tuesday afternoon. Media reports from the Netherlands reported 30 people were admitted to the hospital, one in critical condition.

Roughly 44,000 people showed up on Tuesday to walk one of three routes, the longest of which snaked for 31 miles through scenic Dutch towns.

Of those who started, 1,012 failed to complete the first leg of the four-day event, which was about average for the first day, said Andre Sonnéville, a spokesman for the march.

Jansen said the heat had imposed a strain on medical services, which organizers feared would be unable to guarantee the safety of walkers if the marches continued.

Organizers removed markers showing the route marchers would have followed during second day of the event and urged disappointed participants not to continue walking.

“If something happens, people will always point to you as the bad guys, and that’s not something we wanted in any case,” said Sonnéville.

The march is one of the biggest events in Netherlands, and this year drew a crowd of more than a million to the city of Nijmegen, which has a resident population of about 160,000. Most of the visitors showed up to take part in the festivities that go along with the marches. Those festivities will go on, said Sonnéville.

Two people died from the heat during the marches in 1972, but this is the first time the march has been called off since it began in 1909, with the exception of breaks during World Wars I and II, when the event paused for a total of seven years.

From the offical march web page:

http://www.4daagse.nl/index.asp?taal=en&pagina=homepagina&interactivepage=

Wow. I went last year and completed it, there was no hot weather like that. Being in Texas right now on leave I can understand how hot 95f is... its over 100 here every day. The cold water tap is always luke warm. Anyways, its to bad its cancelled. I wonder what the troops are doing with all the extra time now?

Ref the cancellation - thats probably for the best.

I was there in 1995 - the last day was a furnace. Our 11 man team would go through a 2 litre bottle of water every 18 mins. I was lugging 6 x 2 litres bottles for the team, doing bike doc bandaid duty - and keeping ahead of them all the way. Last 6 miles both tires went pop - rather than ditch the bike now I had a dead bike and still had to keep the water relay going. That`s a good tasking for a can do perspon. Lots of teams were dropping like flies.

For the military in the heat - it is probably do-able - even if we didn`t sleep at all the night before the first day - because we just had to have 1 more. With wall to wall civvies - carrying Orangina bottles of water only, it could easily get out of hand x 30,000 plus civvies - many civvies and military running on beer fumes from the night before.

Next year in Nijmegan! :)

Back