• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New TT vest for the CF???

if its just a trial then dont bank on getting one. I would say with something as important as your load bearing gear its worth buying and training with.

Thanks for the heads up on that.  I'll wait out a bit before I buy my own rig, still gotta find out what kind of kit I'll get an need to carry on me, etc. First tour so I got no clue what I'll be issued; brother(031 in TF 3-06) gave me an idea of what I'll get, but I'm sure his loadout will varie from mine.

If you plan on paying out of your pocket order well in advance...guys on last Roto here in Pet ordered stuff and it wasn't all in when they were leaving and they were left scrambling for assorted pouches

Mike,

Do you know what weapon system you will be carrying? Once you know that it is pretty easy to start setting up a rig just based around base level requirments i.e. IFAK pouches etc. Ammo loadout on your vest is fairly standard and the beauty of a modular system is it can reconfigured. To mirror what rigger said on 1-06 I didnt order my stuff in time and had to deal with the hassel of having things redirected to the ghan. If you have questions or need some more info feel free to pm me anytime.

According to the CO of TF 0307.. the TF should be getting 125 rigs/vests that he will be giving to one of his companies.  No news on what the rig/vest was but just that that's the only "non issued" kit that we'll see during the tour.

Bzzliteyr said:
According to the CO of TF 0307.. the TF should be getting 125 rigs/vests that he will be giving to one of his companies.  No news on what the rig/vest was but just that that's the only "non issued" kit that we'll see during the tour.

Leadership at its finest, give a small portion of your unit something the rest don't have.  I can't see that causing any problems...........

hehe, did I word it to sound like that?  My mistake.  A certain subunit within the TF may possibly be issued with the new vest/rig for the tour.

The "there will be no non-issue kit in theater" statment seems to be continually made by deploying battle groups, yet once in theater after the first TIC it seems that non issue stuff is good to go? Seems to me this is just screwing the boys by a) not allowing them to train with kit they will inevitably use b) forcing a lot of guys to make the decision to not have the kit when they deploy and finally c) forcing guys to pay significantly more for shipping to get their kit sent to Afghanistan.

IMHO troops deployed outside the wire should just buy a rig. Realistically you are looking at spending around $300 or so on a decent non issue rig. For a lot of guys on contract getting ready to deploy this isnt a huge expense (obviously it will vary depending on each guy and their personal situation). Buy the kit, take it with you, if you dont end up using it you can always sell it. I was able to sell my kit from TF 1-06 for basically exactly what I bought it for. I think it is better to have it then not.

Sadly the chain of command in a lot of areas is hidebound to its idea of how a soldier should be equipped.

Most of the units - not having seen combat cannot relate to the issues.  The first TIC brings the reality of the requirements to light -- and all the fact that the others who have been there and got the T Shirt have been saying for years...
Then the Chain of Command rotates and the Dinosaurs retake the earth.  -- Soon however the dinosaurs will be extinct.

My attitude was always -- WTF you going to do charge my ass for wearing unissue gear? -- Fine - I will take a CM and show the FACT that the TV sucks ass and is a detriment to my life.  The fact that 3VP, 1VP, 2VP, 1RCR and now apparently 2 Chicken have found the TV to be a giagantic POS make it easier to show a better system is needed

MJP made a nice video to that effect too BTW.

When the 1CMBG Commander came down to talk to us, he was all for troops gettin their own thing, only rules he gave with it.

CO/RSM Must be alright with it
Aslong as you look like a Normal Soldier, an not some JTF2 Navy SEAL its good
An talk to the guys who have been over already, since they know what works an what doesn't.

Also, he was for troops training with the equipment they bought, since its better to train an get used to the kit here in Canada before deploying, than gettin used to it, etc in-theatre.

I've already picked up a few things for tour like the BLSS Helmet kit an a Camelbak Moterlode in Desert MARPAT. Plus all the other kit I've picked up since I've been in, IE jump ruck, 3L camelbak, etc

This might sound like a stupid questions. I'm going on TF 108 and I want to buy a chest rig. Wondering if most guys are getting it in CadPat AR, CadPat ,OD or Khaki ?

Well there is definately alot of choices out there. I would say your bext bet is to get something in Tan or AR. That being said, after a couple of weeks in the dust, everything will look tan!!! Personally I will buy in AR as it will tie into our uniforms more. Just my thoughts though.

Dunno what guys are buyin their rigs in, I'd assume it'll be in AR CADPAT or tan/coyote brown though.  My brother when he went over with 3-06 bought his rig in tan an other guys had AR CADPAT, black, etc

I would try to stick with AR or Tan, but that being said I have a couple ranger green rigs that I am just going to paint. Krylon works fine for altering the color.

And where might we find the said video from MJP?

I brought up the "modular tacvest" situation and referred to the 10 mag loadout during a question and answer period with the TF0307 CO and RSM.  I am not one to stir up any poo poo, but the response given to the whole squadron was that 5 mags are enough, there are LAV3s in the background that the troops can go and reload in.  I am positive he saw my jaw drop and hit the ground!!! He made reference to videos that we've seen of soldiers shooting aimlessly during firefights and wasting ammo, referrring to Vietnam techniques.  The RSM referred to the overseas situation as the wild west and that all the mixed kit was unprofessional and undisciplined.  He even went as far as comparing the old 64 pattern webbing with the new tacvest suggesting that if I had worn the latter, then I would be appreciating the tacvest alot more!!

That is first hand info and I am sorry to say, it scares me.

Aimlessly to him = enemy in many different directions...
All I can say is they will learn -- I hope you guys dont have to pay that much blood in that learning curve...

- PM Mike for the vid and presentation.  Or better yet take AAR's from the Archer and (Kandahar) Athena TF's, and make your own presentation.

I'll see if I can dig up the presentation and the accompanying videos.  It was really another members baby to give credit where credit is due.  We just built on his already strong supporting argument with a power point and some videos.

Bzzliteyr said:
I brought up the "modular tacvest" situation and referred to the 10 mag loadout during a question and answer period with the TF0307 CO and RSM.  I am not one to stir up any poo poo, but the response given to the whole squadron was that 5 mags are enough, there are LAV3s in the background that the troops can go and reload in.  I am positive he saw my jaw drop and hit the ground!!! He made reference to videos that we've seen of soldiers shooting aimlessly during firefights and wasting ammo, referrring to Vietnam techniques.  The RSM referred to the overseas situation as the wild west and that all the mixed kit was unprofessional and undisciplined.  He even went as far as comparing the old 64 pattern webbing with the new tacvest suggesting that if I had worn the latter, then I would be appreciating the tacvest alot more!!
hand info

Sounds like your CoC is stuck in the 80/90's with regards to aftermarket kit.  We are fairly new into the actual fighting game as an institution, so maybe not everyone got the memo that we are at war and war fighters need the proper kit to succeed.  Just  maybe they need a friendly email/nudge from their our better informed higher echelon peers.  I certainly hope for your sake and the guys you deploy with they pull there collective heads out of their @ss and join 21st Century.

You think Bzz is getting worked up here on the boards?  You should have seen him the other day when he dropped in to visit me at the shop... :rage:  Just ask him about the TFs desert boot policy.

Bzzliteyr said:
And where might we find the said video from MJP?

That is first hand info and I am sorry to say, it scares me.

SO he's expecting troops to fall back to LAV's to rebomb mags in the middle of a firefight? Wow.... that's a unique tactic...

Back