• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New "light weight-modular" tacvest on the way?

From the trial, a lot. On my tour we got more grief over cargo shorts not being PT gear, than the configuration of your pouches. Basically got told carry 10 mags, make sure you can get to them, and keep your IFAK accessible by both hands. Otherwise it was carte blanche.

PuckChaser said:
From the trial, a lot. On my tour we got more grief over cargo shorts not being PT gear, than the configuration of your pouches. Basically got told carry 10 mags, make sure you can get to them, and keep your IFAK accessible by both hands. Otherwise it was carte blanche.

That's... incredibly good and succinct advice. It only took 10 years. (I have a MAV from c. 2008 that went to Afg)

Next thing you know everyone will get issued a battle belt?! 

NinerSix said:
Next thing you know everyone will get issued a battle belt?!

We even got Serpa leg holsters that don't lose your pistol and can actually be opened quickly.

Uugh, that Bianchi thing was a piece of crap.  Serpa or Safari drop-leg rig was the behind of the feline. :nod:

We appear to have progressed slightly from the days o that crappy LBV, that's greatest utility seemed to be filling the deltoid pockets (whoever thought those up, BTW? ??? ) with baby wipes and using the whole thing folded up as a pillow.

Equipping visiting staff officers aside, chest rigs seem pretty hard to get wrong, conceptually or practically. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Uugh, that Bianchi thing was a piece of crap.  Serpa or Safari drop-leg rig was the behind of the feline. :nod:

We appear to have progressed slightly from the days o that crappy LBV, that's greatest utility seemed to be filling the deltoid pockets (whoever thought those up, BTW? ??? ) with baby wipes and using the whole thing folded up as a pillow.

Equipping visiting staff officers aside, chest rigs seem pretty hard to get wrong, conceptually or practically. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Tangent on:

'Belt order' still has its place in the infantry IMHO.

Although the tac vest was excellent in operational environments like NI (where I picked one up from a colleague for 20 quid and happily used it daily), in a 'general war' scenario we always went back to webbing/ belt order.

The tac vest was pretty useless for the usual 'sliding around on your belly fire and manoevre' stuff you tend to find yourself doing in infantry land, largely because you have to raise yourself up so high to get the mags, you become an excellent target.

Tangent off

CBH99 said:
Oh fine guys, whatever, beat me to the punch.  *sniff* 

I'll post a few more pictures, just because I'm not sure if the vest that was trialed in Haiti is the same as being used in Ukraine?

Love it...

"On behalf of Canada, please accept this brick. It carries an honorary rank of MCpl!"

PuckChaser said:
We even got Serpa leg holsters that don't lose your pistol and can actually be opened quickly.

The Serpa is an attrocity that just wont die. It makes me rage that 3/4 of people are using them where I am deployed right now.

Beyond the Tex Grebner video where he shoots himself while drawing from a Serpa, just search for videos on youtube for Serpa failure. You should be able to find videos showing how the Serpa lock mechanism fails in sand/dirt/snow. USMC has banned the use of the holster (that's a clue) and all the trainers I respect have also banned the use on their courses (another clue).

Friends, don't let friends use Serpas.

Thinking back, and using your description, we actually had safariland holsters. Thumb break, not a button. Was a while ago, sorry about that.

Looks like they thought of almost everything.

2wg7qd1.jpg

Jarnhamar said:
Looks like they thought of almost everything.

2wg7qd1.jpg

Where do the magazines, grenades, NVGs, AA / CR-123 batteries, IFAK, grenades, and glow sticks go?

Hey now, I said almost everything  ;D

But ya that was the first thing that came to mind too. It speaks a lot about the project IMO.  Strap a CoralC to your belly? Sure.

Perfect Tac Vest for Peacekeeping. No need for that ammo or the other items Brihard mentioned.

Teager said:
Perfect Tac Vest for Peacekeeping. No need for that ammo or the other items Brihard mentioned.

Our situational awareness on things we choose to do absolutely nothing about has never been greater!

This was obviously designed by a staff geek for other staff geeks that reside in field cubicles...I take it that the "modular" aspect might allow for death, destruction and repair of same tools?  Or was that taken away when Mini-PET looked at it?

MM

PuckChaser said:
Thinking back, and using your description, we actually had safariland holsters. Thumb break, not a button. Was a while ago, sorry about that.

Safariland 6004 SLS... :nod:

Teager said:

Actually, my first impression was that someone at WarGaming in Belarus had created a TacVest for hardcore WoT players.

Good2Golf said:
Safariland 6004 SLS... :nod:

We're in the process of switching over to one of the Safariland molded LEvel 3 holsters, I just got mine and shot my quals not long ago. Love it. Very smooth holster.

Back