• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CF Fitness Policies Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the reserves,

I'm told by friends in ottawa that reservists are no longer allowed to use the NDHQ gym there.

In my town we used to be able to use the gym facilities at NavCan, now apparently it's off limits to the reserves.

I remember talk in the reserves about us being given some type of allownce to go towards a gym membership or to do organized PT but apparently it was nixed.

Is there anything done to help reserves with PT financially is it basically 'You should be doing it anyways so do it'?
It would be nice for the reserves to have access to government facilities such as NDHQ or NavCan

I don't bother with military gyms.As a reservists I use a civilian gym its closer than the base.Thats terrible that the reserves are not permitted to use the facilities at NDHQ and NavCan. :(All I can say as a reservist you are an individual when it comes to PT.

Unless it changed in the last week, reserves can use the NDHQ gym during 'work' hours (0700 - 1800?) I'm not sure but I think that reserves can also access the YMCA passes that are available to mil pers in Ottawa.

signalsguy said:
Unless it changed in the last week, reserves can use the NDHQ gym during 'work' hours (0700 - 1800?) I'm not sure but I think that reserves can also access the YMCA passes that are available to mil pers in Ottawa.

Yep, reservists can use the NDHQ gym during the day. At night it's a no go, only open to people with NDHQ building passes (security reasons). I don't have the memo here but remember seeing it. 33 CBG HQ tried fighting it, but to no avail.

YMCA passes are intended for people entitled to fitness facilities (Reg F and Class B Res F).

The support in Ottawa for all pers has gone way downhill since CFB Ottawa was shut down, but that's another rant...

Well thats good atleast.  My buddies said they we being turned away during the day even, maybe a miscommunication though.

Sucks for reserves who work during the day though and wana hit NDHQ at night.  Another fitness nightmare is trying to get new recruits (or those applying to me) tested for their CF PT test in ottawa.  No longer being held at NDHQ some friends and I had to run around ottawa all day (and even into quebec) going back and forth trying to find a place to get almost 15 of these guys tested. It's funny when you need a person to have their parents permission on a slip to be tested in a gym when their applying for the military.  Again thats another rant.

Nothing that happens in Ottawa surprises me, using you brain in the NCR has been forbidden by the National Capital Commission.

I do my PT along the Rideau Canal (or on it in the winter), the proximity to Ottawa and Carleton U helps with the motivation...  ;)

Glorified Ape said:
I took my test in July - that would make me exempt, would it not?

You're good 'till the end of the PER reporting period (31 March) and good as far as the CDS's direction goes in the CANFORGEN. Unless you got Exempt on the EXPRES test, and you aren't in an Army unit that does the BFT annually, you'll have to do it again at some point in the next reporting year (1 Apr 06 to 31 Mar 07).

what do the reserve non fulltime's have to do for promotion now? the full battle fitness test, which includes the 13K ruck march? or the standard 20 pushups, 20 situps, 6 pullups and the step test?

Jonnyboy250 said:
what do the reserve non fulltime's have to do for promotion now? the full battle fitness test, which includes the 13K ruck march? or the standard 20 pushups, 20 situps, 6 pullups and the step test?

Until the new DAOD is published, there is no requirement for Class A Reservists to be fitness tested for promotion.

Jonnyboy250 said:
lol sweet, then my unit is belt feeding me the bullshit

That's the spirit!

Keep in mind, there is maternity wear available for the larger troops, so don't be afraid to be who you are, even if it is 250-300lbs. Your Chain of Command can't make you do a damn thing - so do the minimum - that'll teach 'em - sweet!

::)

Jonnyboy250 said:
lol sweet, then my unit is belt feeding me the bullshit

So step right up to the dessert tray and be a good example to your troops.

GO!!! said:
Your Chain of Command can't make you do a damn thing - so do the minimum - that'll teach 'em - sweet!

Except defer your promotion because you can't keep up with your subordinates.  That's called "lack of ability".  Wanna get promoted?  Buck up and be ready.  Once the DAOD is issued, there'll be no mercy extended to "tubs".

foerestedwarrior said:

If I said "soon" that wouldn't help so I'll  say "unknown, but hopefully soon" as this will affect the entire CF.

I believe that the DAOD is being worked on as we speak. It was actually drafted some time ago but there may have been funding issues.

Question 1.
There are some soldiers in the CF who are on medical categories thus exempt from this rule.
Will this get in shape or else rule prompt more soldiers to find ways to be put on medical categories?  I mean won't there be a big temptation to try and cheat the system?

Question 2.
I've seen some soldiers who are VERY overweight. I'm not in near as good shape as I should be but some people are not in any sort of shape at all. I recall working with one soldier a few years ago who must have been 350+ pounds. I wouldn't be surprised at 400.

Now anything short of a near miracle, I couldn't see this soldier dropping to a healthy shape or even dropping down to be considered overweight. He was obese in a shocking way.
What happens to him? 
Does he simply get passed up for promotion until he reaches the CF physical standard, will the CF offer him some kind of serious help program (like gastic bypass? I mean if they pay for boob jobs and sex changes....)  OR do soldiers like him run the risk of being released from the CF.

If enough people ARE released I can see us developing some serious man power problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back