• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date
Not all log. There are a few edge cases, ammo and postal (perhaps), where total numbers and numbers employed would make no sense to split elements. Ammo has one or two working for the air force, one or two strictly for the Navy. If you count coastal depots, there's maybe 30.

Solutions?

That's pretty easy, you guys can stay as is. AFAIK all members of those trades wear the Army uniform. You're Army, all stop.

So keep the status quo for you folk. Army trade with the expectation of continued service for the RCN and Air.

Unless the RCN and RCAF suddenly want to create their own versions of those trades, which I highly doubt.

Canada is in discussions about joining an expanded AUKUS deal between the U.S., Britain, and Australia formed to counter China's growing military influence in the Asia Pacific region, Canadian Defence Minister Bill Blair said.

Canada has said it wants to join a second pillar of AUKUS that will collaborate on new military technologies, including artificial intelligence and quantum computing, but has not so far revealed any details of those talks.

"There have been important discussions about processes and platforms on a project-specific basis on where other nations, including Japan and ourselves, might participate," Blair said in an interview in Tokyo where he met his Japanese counterpart Minoru Kihara.

"I would respectfully wait until they've come to their determination, but I'm very optimistic," he said.

Blair said he and Kihara discussed AUKUS, which is already considering working with Japan. The initial phase of AUKUS involves the three founding members working on nuclear submarine technology for Australia.

Blair, who was on his first trip to Japan as defence minister, arrived in Tokyo from South Korea, which is also in talks about a role in AUKUS.

This potentially could be quite valuable for programs like unmanned warships with partners like Australia and the United States, alongside a multitude of other programs.

This potentially could be quite valuable for programs like unmanned warships with partners like Australia and the United States, alongside a multitude of other programs.
Most of the other partners aren’t holding their breath that you will belt up to the bar for the cost of admission.

I suspect the price of admission will be a new sub buy and soon.
And then some…

We were building autonomous semi-submersibles in the 1980's. Used to see them being tested all the time.
And?

I'd suggest zero relevance, for a few reasons:

1) as just like the Avro Arrow, when the Canadian money stops, others didn't. Personnel tend to follow the money, and often end up working for allies that pay.
2) stuff 40 years ago isn't exactly a credible leg to stand on.

Canada wants in as a Pillar 2 AUKUS member, but there are many obstacles to that path.
The biggest obstacle is outside of very limited places (DRES, CSE, segments of CANSOFCOM) Canada has no real understand of security and secrecy.
Following the Security and Secrecy issue, there is the whole funding and focus of mission (which the lack thereof tend to really hurt the prioritization of Security and Secrecy).

Canadians need to understand that.

I suspect the price of admission will be a new sub buy and soon.
Buying from Japan (best sub available IMHO though the Germans make a great product). Australia is musing the JAUKUS is going to be based on the new Mogami class frigate being purchased for Australia as their teir two combatant. They don't mention Canada of course because it was an article on new frigates and what Japan can provide.

The thing is the pillar two tech transfer stuff has delivered even less than the pillar one. They just go around to each others conferences and write briefing notes on said conference. It hasn't paid off for anything. Australia's press is souring on the deal, wondering "wheres the beef" as all it seems to them is that they get to support US and UK nuclear submarines at bases and that's it so far.

Not that I hold the reactionary Australian press in high regard.

Buying from Japan (best sub available IMHO though the Germans make a great product). Australia is musing the JAUKUS is going to be based on the new Mogami class frigate being purchased for Australia as their teir two combatant. They don't mention Canada of course because it was an article on new frigates and what Japan can provide.

The thing is the pillar two tech transfer stuff has delivered even less than the pillar one. They just go around to each others conferences and write briefing notes on said conference. It hasn't paid off for anything. Australia's press is souring on the deal, wondering "wheres the beef" as all it seems to them is that they get to support US and UK nuclear submarines at bases and that's it so far.

Not that I hold the reactionary Australian press in high regard.
Keep in mind that it was only last week that Congress passed the ITAR exemption for Technical Data for AUKUS. Everything in Pillar 2 was contingent upon that exemption as the safeguards on nuclear power technology doesn’t just rest with DoD, and Quantum Computing doesn’t just rest with DoD either — as well as a few other aspects to P2.

There are some other administrative issues to be ironed out as well WRT Security that some members haven’t finished addressing, but it should start producing member benefits in short order.

Back