• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CAN Olympic Uniform Logo: It's Kinda Like....

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
...but not EXACTLY like the Roundel - see attached.  More, from the Canadian Press (highlights mine):
From psychedelic to simplistic - and, perhaps, a little too familiar.

The uniforms that Canadian athletes will wear during the 2010 Olympics were unveiled Thursday, featuring plain, old-fashioned designs that reach into Canada's past, which will no doubt be seen as a welcome departure from the bizarre designs worn last year in Beijing.

But one of the new logos was prompting some decidedly non-Olympic comparisons, with Opposition MPs in Ottawa suggesting it smacks of a Conservative conspiracy and others noting similarities to an iconic Canadian military symbol.

The logo in question appears on several shirts and sweatshirts in the Hudson Bay Co.'s Team Canada line, with a thick black letter C surrounding a red maple leaf in front of a white background.

At first glance, the logo looks remarkably similar to the Royal Canadian Air Force's historic emblem, still used by the air force today, which features a dark blue circle around a maple leaf.

(....)

As for the air force logo, (Suzanne Timmins, the Hudson Bay Co.'s fashion director) acknowledged the Olympic graphic is similar.

She insisted it was strictly a coincidence, but they were close enough that lawyers for the company and the air force sat down to talk about the resemblance. In the end, they decided the Olympic uniform logo was different enough that it could be used.

The Canadian roundel is not "the Royal Canadian Air Force's historic emblem".

It is a national aircraft marking.

It was also warn by Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army aircraft.

Loachman said:

It is a national aircraft marking.

It was also warn by Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army aircraft.

MSM strikes again.... :(

Loachman said:

Don't get into too much of a huff......the MSM didn't even get the nation correct:

"No, we certainly didn't want to look like the Royal Air Force or anybody else. It's such a simple graphic and there's only so much you can do."

That would be the UK.

Opposition MPs in Ottawa suggesting it smacks of a Conservative conspiracy
  ::) 

Can't have too many conspiracies; shame the idiots weren't mentioned by name.

Journeyman said:

Allow me, courtesy of CanWest ;D

“Canada’s Olympic Games belong to all Canadians. While it is clear that the Conservative government’s multimillion-dollar infrastructure campaign is crassly partisan, can the prime minister at least stop trying to politicize the Canadian Winter Olympics?” Liberal MP Hedy Fry asked in the House of Commons.

(....)

NDP MP Charlie Angus called it “cheap partisan politics” by the governing Conservatives.

“If the Conservative party had nothing to do with this, then it would be suing the Olympic team for trademark infringement. This is the Conservative party logo. Anyone can see it is the Conservative party logo. It has nothing to do in the entire history of Olympic hockey,” Angus said.

“If Minister Lunn thinks he can go into a Tim Hortons anywhere in Canada and tell an average hockey fan that this is not the Conservative party logo, then Mr. Lunn thinks the Canadians are stupider.”....

You're the best.

(Remind me to choose my 'three wishes' better next time  ;D )

This is the Conservative party logo. Anyone can see it is the Conservative party logo.

Hmmm....I didn't clue into that, oh well, it's better than a red maple leaf.....supporting a little slightly tarnished red book.......... ::)

One of them was, unsurprisingly, Hedy "Crossburner" Fry.

Journeyman said:

All I can say is why do we pay for the salaries of these MP's - there must be somewhat more earth shattering things happening in this country right now, not to mention around the world, for them to be grilling the government about.

MM

I suppose the Liberals really don't consider their logos to be any less controversial.  Red and white with a Red Maple Leaf............Sound or look a little familiar?   

Just as much a stretch as what they are doing here.

i dont really like the emblem, i think it could be a lot more out there, in this case i prefer a big ol' maple leaf then this

I agree, the MSN is making too much over nothing. If there were trademark issues, they would have been cleared long before Olympic wear was advertised.

Here's a blog from one of the athletes about life in Whistler.  Pretty interesting, however, this is the comment (from the link) that belongs here:

We can't even peacefully unveil the Olympic '‘uniform' that the Canadians will wear without political upheaval from our government's opposition and their accusations that the logo was a devious scheme of the conservatives as part of "cheap partisan politics."

Well I'm not much into politics but if the conservatives need me, I'll vouch for them. I was part of the athlete panel who voted on the final logo and I assure you, I wasn't in cahoots with Steven Harper.

At the end of the day, Steve Yzerman likes it, so it's fine by me.

hmm..its amazing when i see n it first. there was not even a thought of political gain to be made out of it.... i kinda like the old school vibe that the logo carries. allot better than other logo's ive seen of recent

Maybe the Olympians can adopt the Air Force motto when they're in the athlete's village, going through the thousands upon thousands of condoms provided for their use.

As a pilot once translated for me Per Ardua Ad Astra - "It takes a lot of work to get this much ass".

Back