• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Brunswick Highland Games

neko

Inactive
Reaction score
I was at the 25th anniversary of the New Brunswick Highland Games and Scottish Festival last night for the Military Tattoo. It was quite impressive. A drum salute and then the massed pipes and drums, nothing beats the sound of that, its got to be the most stirring music ever.    The military re-enactment was done by the 78th Highlanders and was impressive I think it was my son's favourite part, he enjoyed the live musket fire, my wee girl on the other hand had a few issues with it (she's not quite a year old yet)and much prefers the bagpipes and drums.  However, brave soul that she is, she withstood the gunfire for a fair bit before deciding she didn't like it. Actually I think she was just too overwhelmed at first to even cry. I like watching drill, very professional and impressive. The re-enactment was entertaining with a speaker narrating what was taking place, with charging the enemy and whatnot, and enemy sharpshooters managing to shoot off two of the soldiers backpacks ;) It's funny how whenever I see soldiers I always feel that I can't stand very straight or dress myself properly! Anyways they all did a wonderful job, very enjoyable experience.

I missed that last night.  Would have loved to have been there.

As a side note, I see that you have "zero" posts, which is odd, as your post is directly above mine ;D

von Garvin said:
I missed that last night.  Would have loved to have been there.
They were scheduled to do a demnostration and parade today too, but I have missed that, unfortunately last night was my only chance to go to the Highland Games I won't get too see anything else, still it was the event I was most interested in. 
As an offshoot, does the military ever do any public displays anymore? My husband told me of one he went to see,a little while back where they demonstrated alot of the vehicles and equipment, must have been an awesome display of fire power, wish I could have seen it.

von Garvin said:
As a side note, I see that you have "zero" posts, which is odd, as your post is directly above mine ;D
That is odd, my one and only post and it doesn't count.  :( Well I guess this makes 2
Edit: I believe it is because this is Radio Chatter and posts here don't count if I remember correctly

Nuts just burnt a batch of cookies making this post  :rage:

For a military demonstration/military day, I believe next weekend is the weekend. There are going to be static displays, vehicle rides and so forth.  This will be on the "south common" as I think it's called, as well as in Oromocto.

Ah cool, thanks for the heads up I shall have to go.  Would this be on Saturday or is it the whole weekend?  Umm the south common, is that 'the green' along the river behind Queen Street?

I'm not sure exactly "when" it will be, although there was a commercial on The Fox or FRED FM the other day.  The "Green" along the river by Queen Street is where it will indeed be.  My only hint: listen for the sound of Leopard Tanks (Sound similar to Diesel Locomotives) and bypass the Birkenstock Brigade (read: the perrenial protesters to all things military) and voila!  The Green Vehicles will be the army ones ;)

Ususally quite a crowd shows up, and I'm pretty sure that there will be refreshments and other stuff available.

Ok thanks again for letting me know about this. I shall just take my kids and go to town for the weekend so as not to miss anything. I shall listen carefully for the tanks.

von Garvin said:
The Green Vehicles will be the army ones ;)
Ah, colour co-ordinated vehicles; very cool 8)

neko said:
Ah, colour co-ordinated vehicles; very cool 8)

Yes, you see, the role of the army is to "...look cool in all phases of war.".  Also known as the "LCF" ("Look Cool Factor")

;D

All occupations? And is this an just an army directive or is it required for the navy and air force as well?

Mostly just the army, but the Air Force and Navy have similar traditions.  And it applies equally to all trades :D

Now just what do you do to troops who fail to meet the standard?  :o ( I assume there is a standard.)
The charge must be interesting ;)

So do you get military issue sunglasses in keeping with the LCF?

LOL: that's right.

Hey, check your personal messages (next to "my messages" above this message)

Back