• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Days 6-7 Oct 06

Journeyman said:
Must.....not.......comment......

...only Navy Day press coverage was ARMY!!

.....oops   >:D

I should have known YOU would make a comment.  Guess you missed the part where it said to watch for more in next week's edition, eh?  ::)  ;)

Did anyone go to Navy Day’s? If so what did you think?

I was very impressed and pound as I walked around. Being Navy (the senior service lol) I thought that the name was misleading, while the Navy is the largest component on the southern island, the Army and Air Force put on an excellent show as well. I would think that a large part of this was funded by OP Connection, and from a requiting standpoint it could have been called CF Day's or something like that.

Another thing that surprised me was that on the Friday there where very few school kids there, perhaps the MOB should provide busses next year to the schools (liability allowing).

Pigpen, there is a thread on Navy Days here with the lead up to it, as well as comments from some that attended.

PigPen said:
Another thing that surprised me was that on the Friday there where very few school kids there, perhaps the MOB should provide busses next year to the schools (liability allowing).

$300 was offered per school IRT transportation for public schools in the area.  We had 4 show up, one all the way from Comox.  They were aware, and had the money for transport.  It's probably a tough sell to teachers (*cough* union *cough*) on the island for a Friday afternoon...  The kids that did show up absolutely loved it, however.  I wonder if some of the schools were worried about potential issues with parents (ie. Why do you take my precious little Johnny/Janey to a recruiting drive for the Evil-(insert current government here) militant dictators that is the CF?  They just want little Johnny/Janey for canon fodder for the war in Iraq!  ::)) and stayed away to avoid such problems...

T

From this week's Lookout:

Bravo zulu on the success of Navy Days

When I walked into the display at Ogden Point for Navy Days it was the enthusiasm in the air that caught my attention first.

The naval compliment of bravo zulu does not even begin to express how proud I am of the people who were with the displays and  everyone who worked so hard to make our community welcome. It was immediately evident to any visitor that everyone involved was enthusiastically engaged to make Navy Days: Discover your Canadian Forces a success.

Navy Days was truly an “all hands” evolution. I was pleased to see first-hand all components and sub-components of the Canadian
Forces working together toward a common goal. The entire defence team including the Regular Force, the Primary Reserve, Cadet
Instructor Cadres, the Supplementary Reserve, and civilian employees demonstrated what they do on behalf of our ultimate clients, Mr. and Ms. Canada.

There is no doubt in my mind we made an impact. Our 13,000 guests will be talking about the event for weeks to come and their
experiences will be recalled well into the future. It is evident that visitors went away informed, amazed, and entertained. Most of all
they witnessed your pride in what you do on their behalf.

Thank you to everyone involved and especially to your families for giving up the Thanksgiving Saturday.

RAdm Roger Girouard
Commander
Joint Task Force Pacific

Navy Day Numbers
Electrical wire used 6 km
Temporary fencing used 2 km
Displays 37
Space used 11 acres
Visitors over two days 13,000
Staff needed for event 500
Sections of modular tenting used 90
Sandbags used 1,200
Months to plan 6
Chairs used 750
People on day sails on Friday 300
(HMC Ships Algonquin, Whitehorse, Winnipeg, and Oriole)
Staff needed for setup on Friday 100
PA speakers needed (divided into eight zones) 32
Aircraft flyovers 6

And some pictures, also from the Lookout:

LS Malena Moffat and LS Joy Taylor hand out souvenirs to children.

Search and Rescue Technician Sgt Scott Elliston heads back to shore in a Fleet Diving
Unit (Pacific) boat after a demonstration jump into the waters surrounding Ogden Point.

A Buffalo Search and Rescue aircraft makes a drop over Ogden Point Oct. 6.

Sailors demonstrate damage control techniques as part of the Damage Control Olympics.

Looks like it was a good thing the Air Force was there to provide some displays for the "Navy Days"  >:D

You might appreciate this article JM.  Also from the lookout and semi-related to Navy days:

Accident delays SARTech demonstration
The Navy Days crowd at Ogden Point was left looking up at an empty sky Oct. 7 when two search and rescue technicians (SARTech) delayed a parachute demonstration to help the victims of a car accident on the Patricia Bay Highway.

Sgt Scott Elliston and MCpl Stephane Richard, from 442 Squadron at 19 Wing Comox, were in a taxi on their way to the Victoria airport to board their Buffalo aircraft when they came upon the two-car collision.

Although the two SARTechs did not witness the crash, they saw the immediate results.

“The car was cut in half and sent spinning,” said MCpl Richard. “The cab driver pulled over and we were the first to respond. The driver walked away, he was very lucky.”

“The female passenger in the front seat was bleeding and in pain. She required significant medical attention,” said Sgt Elliston. “MCpl Richard supported her head while I checked her vital signs. We also assessed the driver in the other vehicle. He was understandably shaken up but okay overall."

When the ambulance arrived on the scene the two SARTechs helped extract the injured woman from the vehicle and assisted in getting her and her husband into the ambulance. The couple was then taken to Victoria General Hospital.

The SARTechs hopped back in the taxi and continued to the airport, where they boarded the Buffalo aircraft.

The bright yellow search and rescue plane finally appeared against the clear blue sky over Ogden Point more than an hour late for their 10:30 a.m. parachute into the surrounding waters.

Sgt Elliston and MCpl Richard explained the reason for their delay once they landed safely at Ogden Point.

photo4_sm.jpg

Sgt Scott Elliston and MCpl Stephane Richard, Search and
Rescue Technicians from 442 Squadron at 19 Wing Comox,
helped the victims of a car accident on the Patricia Bay Highway.

James Bay irked by Navy Days

By Andrea Lavigne
Esquimalt News
Oct 13 2006

Howitzer explosions, CF18 flyovers, loudspeaker announcements - Navy
Days was designed to give Greater Victoria residents a taste of our
military's capabilities, but for James Bay neighbours, the event
gave them a taste of living a war zone.

"My house was rocked by artillery explosions while soldiers across
the street at Ogden Point carried out repeated attacks. A booming
officer informed the neighbourhood over a loudspeaker that these
actions were just like those carried out in Afghanistan," said James
Bay resident Nedjo Rogers.

Rogers, his partner and two children were "forced to evacuate" from
their home on Dallas Road last week during the Navy Days military
event carried out Oct. 6-7 at Ogden Point.

They called navy public affairs to complain, but had trouble getting
their message across.

"Quite literally, my partner phones the navy to complain... and the
woman said that she'd like to take down her number but she couldn't
hear. And my partner said, 'that's because you're bombing across the
street.'"

The two-day event included ship tours, a small arms simulator, an
artillery gun position display and firings, a Kandahar check-point
simulation, airplane fly-overs, high-angle rescue demonstrations and
more.

"The aim is to reach out to local population and expose them to what
happens in the military community," said Capt. Darin Guenette, base
public affairs.

Canadian Forces have held open houses before, but this is the first
time the event has been held off CFB Esquimalt.

"The base was not as attractive because we're physically separate
from downtown and where most of the people are," Guenette said.

Ogden Point was chosen because of its proximity to downtown Victoria
and accessibility for navy ships. And with the ebbing cruise ship
season, it was available. Almost 15,000 people attended the event.

Rogers says he heard Navy Days were coming, but was surprised
neighbours weren't warned more explicitly of the events.

"When there's a marathon, at least they drop off a flyer to let us
know what's going on. I know they advertised, but to me that's just
not the same as actually engaging with us as the people who are
going to be totally directly affected."

And while Rogers saw advertisements, he was not prepared for the
events.

"We were just really, really upset. We had seen the banners, but I
had no idea this involved real military exercises," he said.

The navy did consult with the James Bay Neighbourhood Environment
Association prior to the event; however, the association's chair Tim
Van Alstine, says it had little choice in the matter.

"It was a situation that was almost a fait d'accompli when it was
presented to us. The city council was already very supportive of
it," he said.

Van Alstine received several complaints from neighbours about the
loudspeakers.

"I think the number one thing was it was a bit noisier and some
people, just being anti-military period, were upset by it too," he
said. "The residents in that area are really feeling overwhelmed by
all kinds of activity. It's not just Navy Days. They've got that
cruise ship port going there, they've got the buses, they've got all
that stuff on top of it and that's just one more."

But Rogers says he can put up with the tour buses, the marathons,
the helijets and the cruise ships that operate outside his home, but
Navy Days was invasive and offensive.

"We were inundated with military propaganda all weekend - and in our
homes. We were inundated with military propaganda that glorified
this foreign campaign and that, ultimately, is the thing I find
objectionable. I shouldn't be subjected to that in my home and
driven out of my home.

"They have to know that Canadians are deeply divided about what's
going on in Afghanistan right now, and that this is not a neutral
activity to bring into any community."

Guenette says Navy Days wasn't just about Canadian activities in
Afghanistan.

"We have a variety of tasks. Do you think firefighting is glorifying
war? Our police force is glorifying war? We have a lot of different
roles and we don't see them as glorification of war. That's why I
think people need to be educated."

While Guenette wouldn't say if Navy Days would be staged at Ogden
Point again, Van Alstine said an invitation isn't guaranteed.

"We'd have to really rethink it if something like this were to occur
again," he said.

The association has already requested noise and air quality testing
to be done on Ogden Point on behalf of beleaguered residents.

Some local coverage.

heh,heh...you just can't keep anyone happy. It's refreshing to see the military basically say, "Um...live with it. Have a nice day."

Reminds me of living in Eastern Passage and residents would complain the one time a year, or one time every couple of years an American carrier would be moored OUTSIDE the Halifax harbor (some non-nuclear thing) but it's squadrons would be flown ashore. Or the ODD CF-18 made a low pass during some sort of operation.

Wolfmann said:
heh,heh...you just can't keep anyone happy. It's refreshing to see the military basically say, "Um...live with it. Have a nice day."
Sounds pretty typical of James Bay...actually, that area in general.  When I was with 443 we had noise complaints because of the Sea Kings at the airport, people on Salt Spring Island breaking out in boils after a mysterious liquid dripped off of some type of weapon a Sea King was carrying as it flew over (it was a sonobouy and the liguid was seawater) and people who owned houses in Nanoose upset about weopons firing at the range.  They just love to complain about the military out there.

rmacqueen said:
Sounds pretty typical of James Bay...actually, that area in general.  When I was with 443 we had noise complaints because of the Sea Kings at the airport, people on Salt Spring Island breaking out in boils after a mysterious liquid dripped off of some type of weapon a Sea King was carrying as it flew over (it was a sonobouy and the liguid was seawater) and people who owned houses in Nanoose upset about weopons firing at the range.  They just love to complain about the military out there.

What do you expect from a bunch of draft dodging, hippies...not that there's anything wrong with that. One such person managed to get a BJ in the oval office...so kudos to those that can live with themselves.

A couple video clips from Base Imaging, as seen on the MARPAC Notice Board.  Click on each to play.

Back