• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Mess Dress

On reason perhaps: Water was forbidden for toasting after the 1745....

Irreverant Scots would toast the King of England by first passing their glasses over a bowl of water..
In effect toasting to the King over the Water..........The Stuarts in exile.....

Second question:

Does Naval mess dress require a Green Parrot or a Maccaw?
Or is the distribution of birds, shoulder mounted; varied by rank and/or postion.....

And is the colour of head scarves by ship or mess?  >:D

SB

Do eyepatches have to be worn over the same eye - like the "watch on the same hand" game in Basic?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Superstition or tradition?

Well, both, I suppose.  The superstition is that a person toasted with water will drown as a result, and from that we get the tradition that it's downright rude to inflict this on someone.

A related superstition/tradition has it that ringing a glass (by striking it) will cause a sailor to drown -- but if you stop it before it rings itself out then God takes a marine instead!

In the really bad old days, in the British army water was not allowed on the table during the loyal toast to the King. The rationale was that Jacobites would swing their port glass over the goblet of water, thereby toasting the Kiing over the water, that is, the exciled Stuarts.

Being of Highland Scots ancestry from a clan that was out in '15 and 45' I have done it, but I don't take it seriously.

Of course, some of my Highland ancestors maintained that to use real uisge in a toast to some great lump of a german was wasteful and somewhat sinfull.......

Water was MUCH more frugal........ ;D

SB

Surprisingly there is still a Scottish "pretender" to the English throne, or a legitimate claimant depending on your view:

http://www.royalhouseofstewart.org.uk/

Due to lack of information at the local base tailor, I've the follwoing question:

What style are the lapels of the navy mess dress white waiscoat?  Shawl or peaked (or anthing else)?  I've been told peaked but it sounds wrong because the waistcoat is single-breasted (not that the combination is impossible, but it seems 'incongruous').

Sailing Instructor said:
Due to lack of information at the local base tailor, I've the follwoing question:

What style are the lapels of the navy mess dress white waiscoat?   Shawl or peaked (or anthing else)?   I've been told peaked but it sounds wrong because the waistcoat is single-breasted (not that the combination is impossible, but it seems 'incongruous').

Maybe if you translated into english instead of using super fabulous terms that no normal man should know.

Shawl collared being rounded (like the airforce mess jacket lapels) & peaked lapels being like the lapels of the navy's black jacket (pointed up 'filling in' the notch where the collar and lapel meet.  (This point is known as the 'gorge.')

Though if the QM cannot give me a pattern, I suppose no one really cares which style of vest I have.

The vest is unimportant....

It is the type of Parrot which is all important....... >:D

Sailing Instructor said:

What style are the lapels of the navy mess dress white waiscoat?   Shawl or peaked (or anthing else)?   I've been told peaked but it sounds wrong because the waistcoat is single-breasted (not that the combination is impossible, but it seems 'incongruous').

I don't have my waistcoat in front of me, but I'm almost positive it's shawl.  I agree with you that peaked or notched would look pretty weird.

Further to my last, I've checked and the lapels are in fact of the shawl type.

Hopefully you will show that much interest in the well being of your sailors under your care as you have in how well you will look.

I should hope so!  That's one of the reasons I volunteer with my old sea cadet corps: in order to make my mistakes as a DO now rather than when it matters more (not that cadets aren't persons too, but the good of the CF outweighs a few individuals).

Back