• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

Blackadder1916 said:
Actually no, again.  It's VAdm Sir Adrian Johns in his fancy navy suit during the ceremony installing him as Governor of Gibraltar.

This is Adm Band in his monkey suit . . . along with the other two chiefs in their's.

cjiefs.jpg

Of *course* the RAF has to look wildly different than the RN and Army.  8)

First Sea Lord, First Land Lord, and Lord of the Flies - but I cannot remember who came up with that one.

Thank you NavalMoose and Pencil Tech,

I see so many First Sea Lord's, they all "look the same".  Thank you.

:eek:ff topic:

Blackadder1916 said:
Actually no, again.  It's VAdm Sir Adrian Johns in his fancy navy suit during the ceremony installing him as Governor of Gibraltar.

This is Adm Band in his monkey suit . . . along with the other two chiefs in their's.

cjiefs.jpg

I stand corrected.

Is there a timeline on when the new fancy duds will be rolled out to the fleet and us poor land-based sailors?

hawke1759 said:
Is there a timeline on when the new fancy duds will be rolled out to the fleet and us poor land-based sailors?

I head that the new NCD's will be rolled out by this summer however the Base Chief recently at a morning coffee briefed everyone in attendance that it may be several years. Who really knows.

Chief Stoker said:
I head that the new NCD's will be rolled out by this summer however the Base Chief recently at a morning coffee briefed everyone in attendance that it may be several years. Who really knows.
Pray it doesn't happen the same way they've rolled out the CADPAT ICU.  You'll be mixing and matching for the next decade otherwise...

garb811 said:
Pray it doesn't happen the same way they've rolled out the CADPAT ICU.  You'll be mixing and matching for the next decade otherwise...

Or longer.... ;D

garb811 said:

You'd rather see the army throw away millions of dollars worth of serviceable field clothing because it offends your fashion sense?

[quote author=dapaterson]
You'd rather see the army Naval Dress committee throw away millions of dollars worth of serviceable field clothing because it offends your their fashion sense?
[/quote]

FTFY. Yes. Yes, they would...if they could justify it.  :facepalm:

dapaterson said:
You'd rather see the army throw away millions of dollars worth of serviceable field clothing because it offends your fashion sense?
Why not? They did it with DEU tunics for the officers.

Chief Stoker said:
Would it be plausible that he as the Commander of the RCN is publicizing the new uniform?

I wouldn't doubt this;  years ago, around the early 2000s, the Army had changed it's rank slip-ons for CADPAT back to the high vis ones.  The only people getting them initially was the high paid help;  Area Commander and CWO, etc.

The reasoning given when we asked "why isn't everyone getting these before people start wearing them" was "so the troops will get used to them".

::) 

Hi-vis on a camouflage uniform would seem to be counter-intuitive.

Particularly in the centre of mass.

dapaterson said:
Who said anything about throwing serviceable items away? 

Sorry - I misunderstood your post then.  Thought you were suggesting we replace all the CADPAT with ICU.

The thing I find somewhat amusing about the complaints are that only one person has mentioned a potential operational impact from the new uniforms, everybody else seems to be complaining because they don't like the badges. The badge complaints seem to be coming from people that will likely never wear the uniform, and are either retired or close to it. As I said before, the current NCDs don't scream navy at best they indicate security/repair staff. At least the new uniforms with the extra "bling" look military, even if it's modern military and not 1960's "proper navy" uniforms.

As to the potential loss of a fire resistant layer, if they extra layers(the jacket is lined with Nomex too, making it two by itself) were that important the FFs and HTs would have been carrying them all along. It's a loss of protection, but one that was apparently already deemed acceptable many years ago.

One thing I don't recall seeing mentioned is that new shirt will remove the need for new blue NCD shirts to be replaced every 6 months because the collar has worn out.

Weatherdog, that is a point however the tee shirt was deemed to be the second layer.  I personally would like jacket or equivalent to remain as tee shirts are short sleeved so less coverage down the arms.  Otherwise l like the new NCD, bling aside. 

Don't forget the FF/HT would be closed up in Bunker gear during emergency/action/flying stations anyhow.  I expect the non-jacket issue would stem from the FF coming from the Wing Halls where they would be in Bunker anyhow at a scene, so standard practices.

jollyjacktar said:
Weatherdog, that is a point however the tee shirt was deemed to be the second layer.  I personally would like jacket or equivalent to remain as tee shirts are short sleeved so less coverage down the arms.  Otherwise l like the new NCD, bling aside. 

Don't forget the FF/HT would be closed up in Bunker gear during emergency/action/flying stations anyhow.  I expect the non-jacket issue would stem from the FF coming from the Wing Halls where they would be in Bunker anyhow at a scene, so standard practices.

Agreed the tee shirt isn't an ideal second layer, but at the same time neither are tightie whities, boxers, thongs, etc.. There needs to be a reasonable balance between comfort and protection. I personally loved the NCD jacket as an intermediate layer, and am slightly sad to see it going. Though the chances I'll get a chance to get back to sea seem to be slipping away, so it's likely not going to have any impact on me. 

Yes, my sailing days are done too.  I'm thinking of the collective and practicality for those who will be sailing.  I do hear they're looking at a FR fleece jacket, if possible, that would provide the comfort and protection presently provided by the jacket.  They need something for the intermediate range of temperatures.

Back