• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Disston Tractor Tank - Afghanistan

Developed in 1933 by the Disston Safe Company. Built on a Caterpiller tractor model 35 or 40. In 1934 an improved model was made mounting a 37mm main gun in an open top. Rejected by the US Army, it was sold commercially as the Disston Six Ton Tractor Tank  to "nations (like Afghanistan) with greatly reduced appropriations"  according to their sales brochures.

Well you could have at least waited until I said you were right there Blackadder :'(

Nice one I thought I had some stumped this time. Ok back to googling the worlds most obscure fighting vehiclles web site.

So the next time I actually win a round here postign a pic of  a certain Aussie tank/tin shack is not a good idea.

No joy on your latest yet. Pine trees and headress on the commander suggest Finnish, but they borrowed, stole, captured so much equipment that really doesn't narrow it down much. 8)

Not Finnish. Never was, never could be.  This variant was in service in only one country's military. And the "commander" is looking out the back of the vehicle.

edited to clarify - in service with only one country but this variant may have been deployed operationally in other country.

Blackadder,

Could that country be Germany?  It has a 'WH' serial number on the bottom left rear.

Dan.

Here's a wild guess But the Germans built a couple observation vehicles base on a 3/4 tracked vehicle, As I recall Some were used at an artillery range and the other at the V2 test site in Northeastern Germany .

Feuerleitpanzerfahrzeug für V-2 Raketen auf Zugkraftwagen 8-ton Zugkraftwagen 8t. This was a SdKfz 7 version that was used as the control vehicle for V2 launches

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/v2_vehicles.html

If found to be correct, someone feel free to post a photo.

Larry Strong said:
Feuerleitpanzerfahrzeug für V-2 Raketen auf Zugkraftwagen 8-ton.  SdKfz 7 version

Das ist korrekt.

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/mobileoperations.html
The most ideal firing sites were those that provided heavy camouflage, along with a flat, firm footing for the firing table. The firing crews were not limited to using prepared concrete launching pads. They often used asphalt roads, paved ways, and even firm soil to fire the A4. Clearings in wooded or forested areas were most ideal. These areas provided heavy camouflage as well as protection from wind gusts that could deviate the A4 during its slow lift off. The firing crews preferred to launch near dusk in the late evening hours. They would leave the firing site 30 minutes after the launch, which made it impossible for Allied aircraft to locate their position.

...Two operational troops were formed: Gruppe Nord (north), Gruppe Süd (south) - each consisting of several technical and firing batteries. 
A Typical V2 Batterie consisted of (5) platoons. All platoons also carried the usual weapons of a combat unit and the normal equipment associated with their duties.

Headquarters Group: Unit administration and command communication.
Launching Group: Included (3) firing units, each of the three having (1) Bodenplatte and (1) Feuerleitpanzer. There were (3) Meillerwagens per each unit - so, a total of (9) Meillerwagens per platoon.
Radio Group: Normal group communications, the calculating of the launch site, Brennschluss and Leitstrahlstellung (guide beam).
Technical Group: Unloaded rockets, minus warheads, from the rail cars that carried them to the operational areas. Moved the rockets to the field stores. Tested and prepared them for the launching platoon. The technical troop would use about (3) Vidalwagens for each Meillerwagen - so, a V2 batteries technical troop would have approximately 27 Vidalwagens.
Fueling Platoon: Included (3) sections - 
1st unit handled the supply of liquid oxygen from railhead to firing site.
2nd unit handled the supply of alcohol from railhead to firing site.
3rd unit handled the supply of warheads and sodium permanganate to the field stores.

I love reading this thread for some reason, and I think I know why.  It comforts me to know that there are men that live beyond the bible belt who enjoy these sort of things (ie. big, loud and capable of leveling a city block).  Even after reading most of this thread I know  nothing about these vehicles, but I still find myself looking at the picture after the answer is given and thinking "yeah I would have got that...".  In other interesting news, reading this thread from start to finish takes the same amount of time as it does to cook a large roast to mid-rare.  Go figure.

UPS Sorry. I completely forgot that I posted something here.
----------------------
No, it is not an Nodwell tractor.

Regards,
ironduke57

Back