• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

muffin said:
That is the Jaguar Main Battle Tank Prototype

Info:
The Jaguar Main Battle Tank (in reality a light tank) was first put forth in 1989 by two of the more interesting partnerships.  America's Cadillac Gage teamed up with China's National Machinery Equipment Import & Export Corporation to produce a  modified and upgraded version of the Chinese Type 59 tank.  The political scene in both countries in the early 1990's however led to the design never being put into production, however with the outbreak of war and China's need for military supplies to fight against Russian troops  the Jaguar was once again revisited.
The improvements made originally were retained, a Detroit Diesel engine was standard issue along with a 105mm cannon (equipped with a thermal sleeve) along with computrzied fire control systems completed the package.  The design itself was produced in North America initially and shipped to China, it is estimated that some 75-200 models may have been produced prior to the November Nuclear Exchange.  It is known that 75 of these were not shipped and were in both dock facilities to be shipped and at Cadillac Gages facility awaiting transport.  The status of these 75 tanks is currently unknown.

From http://www.wapahani.com/updmbt.html

Um, right to a point...  You've got stats from an RPG site, there bud.  The Jaguar was likely terminated after Tiannamen in 1989, but China didn't fight the russians in the early 90's, nor did they produce a couple hundred Jags, nor was there a November Nuclear Exchange.  :P

Argh - this is what I get for posting while trying to work lol...

I didn't  examine the passage as "intently" as I apparently should have. WRT the Nuclear Exchange I figured they were talking about any number of gatherings between Russia and China because Moscow sells so many arms to China.

My understanding was there was never a confirmed number of Jaguars produced, and the war I assumed was with Chechnya.

Guess next time I will stick to the name of the vehicle.

Thanks

Big Foot said:
Try this one.

The Skeleton Tank 1918 USA
Was came from the idea that small tanks  , had many advantages (i.e. cheap , not that big of an engine) , but it couldn't really cross trenches very well so  this was built to achieve maximum trench-crossing and a weight of around 8 tons.
So they cut the hull to the bare minimum, so the structure was made of  iron pipes (acting as structural members), joined by plumbing connections. This was really cheap and allowed the tank to be packed up and ship quickly (say ,across the Atlantic)

he hull was a rectangular box made of Armour 12mm thick, with a front driver and a gunner in the rear operated the single machine gun mounted in the turret.     

Turret is too far back to be the BMP-3

Perhaps the Bulgarian BMP-23/30 family?

Is the vehicle immediately behind it of the same type?  It's hard to make out with the blurriness.

Back