• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

It is indeed a Slava class cruiser, despite Mr. Staples emphatic expert assertions to me that the vessel was a Canadian frigate.

The aft crane actually turns around the other way and rests between the funnels.   

Most AESOP's on this board that were on the East Coast about 5 years back probably flew over this vessel outside of Halifax and snapped a few pics.

Cheers

On further investigation it appears that Krasina was the name initally assigned to the class by NATO while Slava was the soviet designation.  In any case, in no way Canadian.

The successive versions of the M103 shared many components with the M47, the M48 Patton tank and the M60. Tracks, rollers and suspension elements were the same with some modification to take into account the greater weight. The engine and transmission though were never modified enough to give the extra power needed for the greater weight of the M103, and as a result the tank was relatively underpowered and the drive systems were fragile.

You hid the giveaway barel...

Damn! I thought I would have stumped you guys for at least a couple of hours! M551 playing dress-up as a T-72 is right. You have the conch.

MG

That would be an Iranian  Zulfiqar-3.

If I am right, I have no picture to post...

You posted when I posted. NS grabbed the photo from FAS.

Here's a weird one:

nsmedicman said:
Iranian Zolfaquar 3

Just a quick point out here troops.....but there are lots of inconsistencies between both tanks.

Shape of turret and lifting points. Crew commander's cuppola on the top pic is very different from the bottom.

Sponsons and slope of frontal armour going up on the bottom picture is somewhat reminiscent of a Leo 2, including the skirts are a bit on the M1ish side.

Top pic has what appears to be fuel storage reminiscent of a T-72 on top of the sponsons as well, where as the bottom doesn't and the sponsons are flat sided.

The top pic has 6 road wheels and the bottom has 7.....

Care to explain?  ;)

Oh my god.  I didn't think anything of those differences...
And I am usually observant.

Good call, you now have my curiosity.

I think the first one is the Zolfaqar 1, and the second is the Zolfaqar 3.

Sorry guys....my mistake....the top one is in fact a Zolfaquar 1...and the bottom one is a Zolfaquar 3.....my apologies....

Back