• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"N.B. woman made up story about gunpoint abduction to Toronto, police allege"

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
"police expended a lot of time and resources on the case over the course of two weeks, and have now referred it to prosecutors to decide if any charges are warranted.":
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090817/national/nb_ont_abduction

Police allege there was in fact no abduction and that Simmons went to Toronto for personal reasons.

"We don't know why this happened. We were not told exactly why the victim went to Toronto. She is keeping that to herself," RCMP Sgt. Claude Tremblay told a news conference.

I think most of us could make a fairly accurate guess as to the reason for her little trip.  ::)

It's a real pity that these type of things take place.  I recall (although I don't remember the specifics) fraudulent claims of financial distress which sucked in a whole BUNCH of people a couple of years ago - many cases of husbands reporting "missing wives" after having murdered them - again sucking in the public, and other variations on the theme.

It's unfortunate because, every time I hear such a story - I have a tendency to suspend belief for a while - until it's verified. 

This means that I don't contribute funds to "the cause", if such is the intent or necessity, for ANY such reports.  And SOMETIMES, (not too bloody often - says the cynic in me) these types of claims ARE true - and my dollars would be well spent - but my dollars aren't there because of fraudsters like this.

Roy Harding said:
It's a real pity that these type of things take place.  I recall (although I don't remember the specifics) fraudulent claims of financial distress which sucked in a whole BUNCH of people a couple of years ago - many cases of husbands reporting "missing wives" after having murdered them - again sucking in the public, and other variations on the theme.

It's unfortunate because, every time I hear such a story - I have a tendency to suspend belief for a while - until it's verified. 

This means that I don't contribute funds to "the cause", if such is the intent or necessity, for ANY such reports.  And SOMETIMES, (not too bloody often - says the cynic in me) these types of claims ARE true - and my dollars would be well spent - but my dollars aren't there because of fraudsters like this.

Agreed.
A few times people have came on television saying their children were "missing",the first thing that came to mind was which parent killed them.Thankfully I get proven wrong from time to time.

I must admit I haven't spent any significant amount of time thinking about this particular case, but with that being said as soon as I heard about it on the news a few days ago some warning bells starting firing in the back of the head.  In fact the same bells that went off when that woman in Pittsburgh (?) claimed that she was attacked at an ATM and had a B carved into her face becuase she was a McCain supporter last October.

Here is another similar story from today's Sun. These girl/boy who cried wolf stories are putting a strain on police wo/manpower.
"Bail for man accused of faking abduction":
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/08/26/10619551.html

Seems body in Toronto that went missing the other day after claiming he was abducted by gunmen, but found yesterday in St Catherines ON, is going to be charged now for a similar thing.

Now I doubt his was a "booty call", but then again his parents said he had about 1k on him?

Back