• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

my story

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty people here on this site that have similar problems, but they don't speak up because of the backlash they receive from 'some' of the members on this site,
I believe that is is good way to speak up and raise concerns and issues that some of new guys who wants to join up have, but they found themselves in situation where medical problems they have stood against them. All of you that have experience can help out, some things are not explainable, and the best is to guide them to give proper information.
I would suggest that you contact CF center or go in person and talk to officer that interview you, and ask them for info, or talk to doc that was checking you out at the time of the medical test for explanation, I went through the same situation you went through, and I have gave up last week  after talking to Major that sent me the first original  letter, it took me 6 months to get appointment , I drove to Ottawa , had a interview, I came up more shocked, then I hoped for,  I wasn't prepare to hear/see this, but it made my day.. I would suggest to look for other jobs that can fulfill your dream.. there is a reason why H1 and H2 is required, vision is not the same as hearing , hearing you can loose very quickly in short period of time then vision, I agree that vision V4 should be not accepted as well, each body responds differently to noise level, and it is hard to predict that..  I think good ear mufflers are required , now I know why some officers after 5 years + service wear hearing aid ...

tech2002 said:
now I know why some officers after 5 years + service wear hearing aid ...

Officers???  And not NCMs?
Here's the facts folks, and I've held off for sometime (what a shock!!!).  There are enrollment standards and guess what?, despite the fact that "I've wanted to be in the military since I was 12" (13, 15, whatever) they are there there for a reason and they are not going to change any time soon.  Since you are still young, go to school, learn a trade and get a job, don't keep holding onto something that may never happen.  That also goes for you "older" folks that (for some trades) standards have changed.  Don't pin all your hopes on the fact that you may still be able to get in.  Yes, you have the "life" experience but face it, you're older, competition is there.  Don't get all obsessed by something you've always "wanted to do" and then be disappointed because it doesn't happen.....again.

Everyone, please be realistic!!!

You guys with the "dream" also aren't looking at the bigger picture.  The enrollment standard for hearing is H2.  There is a simple reason for this.......for every combat arms trade, and most other trades for that matter you are near loud things everyday.  I'll use armoured as an example because I'm most familiar with it.  As a crewman you are in a freakin loud vehicle regardless of whether or not you're in the turret, GIB hole, or drivers hole.  Same deal with tanks.

Now I don't know what my hearing is but it's obviously at least H2.  So if I have H2 hearing, after 10 years you can pretty much guarantee it will have degraded.  Let's say after 10 years I drop to an H3.  Well if you come in as an H3 it's safe to say after 10 years you will be H4 or whatever it would be.  See where I'm going with this?

Obviously I'm not a doctor and don't know anything technical about hearing.  But if you come in with worse hearing than other recruits, down the line in you're career it's quite possible you will reach an unnacceptable level of hearing faster than other soldiers.  Now you've become useless to a combat arms trade and potentially a burden on the CF.

Does it suck? Yep.  But unfourtunately, and this might hurt to hear, the army isn't for everyone.  And it seems you're one of the people who it isn't for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back