• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MRAP Vehicles proving worth in Iraq

razorguns said:
yep.  those MRAP's are doing a great job protecting those contractors - while soldiers get crappy 10 y/o hummers with silk armor to drive around in.

r
Pray tell, what is "Silk Armor" on a M1114?

Never seen nor heard of such a thing....

The M1114 is the successor version to the XM1109 HMMWV Up-Armored Armament Carrier. The M1114 is an Up-Armored HMMWV that provides ballistic, artillery, and mine blast protection to the vehicle occupants. The principal modifications to the ECV HMMWV include an armor package, high capacity brakes, upgraded suspension and lift points, a reinforced frame, and a large capacity air conditioning unit. The weapon mount, located on the roof of the vehicle, is adaptable to mount either the M60, 7.62mm machine gun; M2 .50 caliber machine gun; or the MK 19 Grenade Launcher. The weapons platform can be traversed 360 degrees. This confirguration of the HMMWV is equipped with the self-recovery winch.

Yeah, I was a T/C on an M1114 for a Year in Baghdad, but Razorguns mentions "Silk Armor" Something I've never heard of.

Oh Yeah, M60's are gone from most all units now, We've been using M240B (FN-Mag58) since 2000.

I think "Silk Armour" is a joke about the armour being useless. Thats the inference i got though i could be reading it wrong. You know what i mean, silk isnt really known for its bullet/IED resistant qualities.
It would make a Humvee look dead pretty though.... ;D

Heh... HUMVEE with silk drawers?  Loveley!

Back