• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mobile internet stick @ CFLRS

tylerlleslie said:
Ive got unlimited...

I knew a guy who had unlimited once ... until his carrier noticed that there had to be more than 1 user expending bandwidth at a time due to the extremely high rate; and, as per his contract specs for 'no sharing with unauthorized users', promptly started charging him usage per MB at that moment as per the fine print he signed in their contract due to irregular contract & unauthorized use of his account; the look on his face when he got the bill was stupefying I'm sure; as was his disappointment when they wouldn't allow him to go back to "unlimited". Moral:  Be careful ... and always read the fine print.

Your priority on basic training should be approaching the staff and ensuring you have internet access, just incase any emergencies develop at home someone can facebook you right away.

I've never been to St. Jean so I'm unaware of the internet facilities they have other than what was mentioned. However during a six month deployment to Italy this past summer, many people used rocket sticks for their rooms and at work. They were with the Tim or Wind network. I personally did not have much success with them and would not recommend them at all if you have access to a library or Starbucks or some place with free wi-fi. They worked ok when it was not typical peak cellular hours. In our hotel rooms they barely worked because of the thick concrete walls so most people had to buy an extension cable and affix it to the window with velcro. And as far as unlimited, we bought some that were advertised as such and in reality, unlimited meant just that HOWEVER after a certain amount the speed would slow down to worse than dial-up until the beginning of the next month. After the three month trial period was up I said to heck with it and just utilized the free wi-fi in the lobby, which worked a lot better.

ArmyVern said:
I knew a guy who had unlimited once ... until his carrier noticed that there had to be more than 1 user expending bandwidth at a time due to the extremely high rate; and, as per his contract specs for 'no sharing with unauthorized users', promptly started charging him usage per MB at that moment as per the fine print he signed in their contract due to irregular contract & unauthorized use of his account; the look on his face when he got the bill was stupefying I'm sure; as was his disappointment when they wouldn't allow him to go back to "unlimited". Moral:  Be careful ... and always read the fine print.

First off it's jailbroken so it's no biggie. I'm allowed to have it tethered and used as a wifi hotspot. And its an old rogers data plan. I use to work for rogers, I know all the ins and outs.

Rocket sticks suck anyways.  Honestly you are better off to get a phone these days.  Most of my peers that invested in a rocket stick got frustrated with it and hardly used it.  Honestly any time you have in basic to use internet will be on the weekends.  Don't get into the mindset that because the staff leaves your floor at 17:00 hrs on a Wednesday that you have personal time.  Use wifi on the weekends when you get as far from base as possible for a bit. And really, don't get suckered into a rocket stick.  You never know how useful it will be in 15 weeks when you get posted to somewhere else. 

SentryMAn said:
If money saving is your main concern, just head to any McDonalds, Mikes Restaurant or other similar place with Wi-Fi access on the week end.  You'll want to get as far form the school as you can on your time off.  I would normally hop the bus to Montreal(<$10 ec way) and spend some time enjoying a nice Coffee while I chatted to my wife online.

Best place in St-Jean is the Cora's  Go there for Breakfast and bring your computer and its the perfect break from training.

But the best breakfast is Eggsquis, or alteast it was when I was working at the Mega.  I went for the coffee though, not the internet.

Eye In The Sky said:
But the best breakfast is Eggsquis, or alteast it was when I was working at the Mega.  I went for the coffee though, not the internet.

Maneken Pis?

I was thinking an internet stick too about a year, but honestly they are a waste of money.  Any newer smartphone can tether to a laptop or computer (if you don't want to be using your tiny screen to do all your browsing), either by USB cable or wirelessly.  Data plans now support that.  My current phone plan includes 6GB of data.  Since I've had that plan, I've used at most 3 GB in a month.  Since you probably have a phone anyway, its the best way to go, IMHO.  Plus you don't have another bill or piece of equipment to worry about.  You may still run into connection issues if you are in the middle of nowhere, but you would with the stick too.

Just my  :2c:

Regardless if you're using an internet stick or tethering, you will still have an issue with the cell signal. We were in the blue sector on the 9th floor and reception was only possible in one area. We would have 5 people jammed in the fire picket room all trying to get a signal.

Signal does suck, but it's better then no Skype. worth the $40 a month imo 

I just left there finishing my PLQ. I tethered my cell phone. Worked fine but watch your data usage!

Back