• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Misconceptions abound...

Okay, Okay I knew that one would be brought up. I just wanted to get rid of the myth that the Canadian armed forces was actively recruiting people to fill some quota overseas. As this forum demonstrates every day soldiers are hoping to get tours overseas and I am pretty sure the few positions available in iraq are not going to be forced upon a first year soldier.

Michael Dorosh said:
To their everlasting credit.

I would not compare that in the least to the National Guardsman or Reserve soldier in the US.   The MIA Marine I wrote about was actually inactive for several years; a few weeks of refresher training and he was off to the war, running foot patrols.   Those Canadian officers being discussed here were professionals practicing their craft at the time the units they were with were warned for war service.

its funny, canada is not a 'coalition country' but i have met more canadians in uniform over here than many other nations that supported this stupid war. most recently i met a LCol who was a major in 3VP up until about 6 months ago, now he is over here with 3ID. its not just comissioned guys either, i have met 2 WOs over here, even brought one of them off base to our house for a BBQ and some beers, us canadians have to stick together, no matter where we are !

GrimRX... you didn't take into account residence, or food/rent/utilities...

If I were to be living on residence, not at home:
$5000 for tuition
$1200+ for books
$6000+ for residence...

So, at least $12 000 per year, for the average program. If you were in orthodontics, for tuition, you could be spending upwards of $8000... PER TERM!...

So there is no way the reserves... or any job, can pay for the average student's expenses on a yearly basis.

Just adding to the cost of university...

Stauds said:
GrimRX... you didn't take into account residence, or food/rent/utilities...

If I were to be living on residence, not at home:
$5000 for tuition
$1200+ for books
$6000+ for residence...

So, at least $12 000 per year, for the average program. If you were in orthodontics, for tuition, you could be spending upwards of $8000... PER TERM!...

So there is no way the reserves... or any job, can pay for the average student's expenses on a yearly basis.

Just adding to the cost of university...

Yes, I didn't mention those (though I tossed food in there at the end) mainly because I was speaking purely of tuition.

Stauds said:
True.   However, it does pay for a good chunk of it; more than not having a job, and one that will reimburse you for some of your tuition.

George Wallace said:
True.  However, it does pay for a good chunk of it; more than not having a job, and one that will reimburse you for some of your tuition.

That was my point, in opposition to Worn-Out-Grunt:  That regular attendance doesn't pay for everything, though it is a good program.

Back