• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Urban Legends

I was just in Wainwright a few months ago on BTE and went all over Centurion field on the way to and from recovery calls in my ARV(I was driving). Didn‘t see anything that looked like something big was buried there.

Quite a story, makes you think....

Regards

Has anyone seen the old Sherman tank in Pet? I can‘t remember if it was behind the berm of Bravo or Charlie range but the turret was seperated from the hull, and the hull was in two or three pieces, with road wheels all over the place. It was in some pretty thick undergrowth so if you were more than 10m away you wouldn‘t be able to see it. Looked like it was shot up pretty bad.

I haven‘t seen the burned-out M113 in Meaford, but I have seen what looked like the hull of a Sherman tank which is upside down on the east side of a hill. I don‘t quite remember where it was, but it was west of five fingers. Anyone else see this?

Tyler

Originally posted by D-n-A:
[qb]

I heard an urban legend about Mr Rogers before, saying that he was an ex-US Marine Sniper who did a few tours in Vietnam, and the reason why he always wore those sweaters on the show was because his arms were covered in tattoos. [/qb]
Ahh that‘s too funny!

[looking through a high powered rifle scope]

Mr.Rogers : "Hello neighbour. Time to die!"

Originally posted by George Wallace:
[qb]
Originally posted by Danjanou:
[qb] How do you explain a missing tank? :D [/qb]
An extremely good Cam Job.

Gw [/qb]
In the vein of buried armor, I‘ll reiterate a story passed along to me by a local commisionaire... apparently they lost a Leopard (Or it might have been a centurion for all I know, he only said tank) and two MLs while on exercise... they were dug in and cammed... they had to leave them for whatever reason, and then came back, unable to find them...

They were found two years later, when one of the MLs was run over by another tank (Crunch).

i heard that Ruskies could sumhow fire .308 NATO ammo, but we couldn‘t fire their 7.62x39mm ammo, i also heard that one abotu the old OD buttons

NO, NOT NEVER! 7.62 x 51mm (NATO, C6, FN C1, C2, M14, M60, etc)), and 7.62 x 39mm (type M43 AK family, SKS, etc), and 7.62 x 54mm (Dragonov, and M1891/30 and PKM MG‘s etc) is NOT interchangeable or vice versa.

If anyone tells you they are interchangeable, they don‘t have a clue, and are passing on a rumour a generation old!

So if you here this BS, thats what it is, is a big giant crock of BS.

I have instructed this subject many times, had cutaway chambers form each calibre rifle as training aids, and besides, look at the cartridge lengths in mm‘s. You don‘t have to be an engineer to figure that out.

So, if you here this rumour, set em straight!

Cheers,

Wes

Almost forgot, the buttons of the CF OD combat uniforms are and were just plastic, nothing to heat up into warm water to make a soup out of.

Cheers,

Wes

Originally posted by Wesley H. Allen, CD:
[qb] Almost forgot, the buttons of the CF OD combat uniforms are and were just plastic, nothing to heat up into warm water to make a soup out of.

Cheers,

Wes [/qb]
The buttons on the very old parkas in the 1950‘s-60‘s were said to be survival buttons that could be boiled. Those Nylon parkas had fox fur collars on the hoods and were phased out for two reasons: Nylon produced static electicity, which was not a good thing when handling electrically fired explosives or on the flightline; and the PETA crowd objected the use of real fur. Have I ever boiled any buttons to survive--No; and I was not going to ruin any part of my uniform to find out.

GW

Originally posted by Danjanou:
[qb] How do you explain a missing tank? :D [/qb]
They are heavy enough to sink if left for a LONG period on soft ground...

I had a Cdn X series parka, 1950‘s dated, and the 1960‘s real animal furry hood trim type, angle ‘C1‘ pockets, non-detachable hood,etc. All had plastic buttons.

The only thing I know about unique buttons that RCAF had a tiny compass which was one of the buttons on their flying uniforms, along with other escape material used in WW2. I have seen these buttons before in books and antique shows.

Cheers,

Wes

Originally posted by 2332Piper:
[qb] I dunno if anyone else has heard this legend, I read it somewhere in some military related book of some sort. Way back during the Cold War two British soldiers were on an exercise decided to set up their sleeping bags under a Challenger tank in bivouac to get out of the rain. Since the ground was so soft (due to rain) the tank began to sink into the ground and by the time the sinking was discovered it was sunk up to the middle of its tracks and it was too late for the troops underneath. I really can‘t confirm this tale,I was maybye 6 months old when this happened, but hey, makes you think twice before sleeping under a vehicle. [/qb]
I was told in battle school that it happened to a Canadian tank crew...I guess it could have happened more than once.

To all Zipper head‘s like George who were in Germany and did Ex. on the (spelling)Luenberg Hieder up in the Brit.Sector.
The Centurion that sank into the Bog fully bombed up and all attempt‘s to recover it failed.

Yes it happened,my father was a Cent. driver in the 4th Hussar‘s and we where living in Germany in Hohner Garrison when it happened and he was a witness at the attempt‘s to recover the tank.It was from his Reg.
In the end they just closed her up and let her sink in the Bog ans it‘s still there today.

Like Buddy stepped on the A.P. and heard the click and didn‘t move and untill buddy slid a plate under his foot and when clear all jumped away from the blast! :eek:

Or the one about the bouncing betty,buddy was so quick that when the mine bounded he cut the cord before it could initiate! :eek:

Dream on!!

Pretty good tales so far troops....

Let‘s keep ‘em coming..it‘s good to clear up these stupid myths.

Regards

One weird one that I had heard was that the Viet Cong would recycle M-72's for use as mortars.

The way the legend goes is that they would pick up a used LAW tube and gerry-rig a base plate using a nail and a piece of wood. These would then be deployed along the FEBA just before an assault. The troops would each have a 60 mm round, then as the assault began they would drop the round into the tube as they passed it, then carry on the assault. As the assault wave moved forward far enough to engage the defenders with small arms, the mortar rounds would be dropping in on the defensive positions.

Utter hogwash, I know, but I actually believed this one when I was a noob.
:blotto:

http://www.snopes.com/military/military.asp

Here is a great resource for military urban legends explaining why or why not they are false. Also has links to a bunch of other subjects

All right, once and for all, what is the real story behind the Gustav Gone For Good. I‘ve heard half a dozen variations, all at different times, places, and circumstances. Someone kindly clear this one up.

As for myths, I keep hearing about these guys dressed in CADPAT walking around Pet, but they supposedly had Jesus-freak long hair and biker facial hair, and they wore no rank or name. Sounds like a BS ghost story to me though...

ooooooo.....the JTF oooooooo

:rolleyes:

Regards

Back