• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Terminology - Where did it come from?

Shamrock said:
Don't forget anachronisms.  The rest of Canada must be an unwashed mass - only the army performs daily ablutions.
Why does the Army call lessons "mutuals"?

I have a book that was given to me many years ago that may be out of print called:  FIGHTING WORDS From War, Rebellion and other Combative Capers by Christine Ammer published by Dell Books #0440-206669  I would highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in military expressions.

The author goes into great detail on the source and origins of many expressions including anecdotal evidence of the initial usage.

Colin P said:
Not sure if the navy used it, but Coast Guard always called laundry Duhby (spelling?) Arabic for laundry

We do, but we spell it with an "o" instead of the "u": dhoby.

"guerrilla": Spanish for "little war", but they adapted it form Samuel de Champlain's reference to his fighting the Iroquois being a "petite guerre" because there never were fights of large body of men face to face as in European wars of the time.

thanks I could not remember how it was spelled. Turkshead brushes and then there was the name for the capstan winch drums which i won't actually type in case it triggers a ban.

Here's a couple I picked up from doing historical research;

Chit:
  Hindi word derived from their word for paper or a small slip of paper. The British Army used to issues pay notices for goods or services and the locals had to take their chitty to the paymaster to exchange it for hard currency. Apparently the pronunciation was more akin to sh*tty vice chitty but the term chit stuck with the army for a small slip of paper or note and today we still use it for sick notes or chit's from the MIR.

Split-arse:
  Us old soldiers know this as a derogatory term for the fairer sex and we always assumed it referenced their private parts however a couple of centuries ago women wore underwear that was commonly referred to as "split-arse bloomers". Much like capri styled undergarments they wore as a base layer. The bloomers were open from the front to the back to facilitate calls of nature while wearing their skirts/dresses with out having to completely disrobe. From what I could glean men did not wear "split-arse bloomers" so the term stuck for women. I can well imagine a crusty old RSM telling his troops to keep their camp wives in line using the vernacular of the day.

prairefire said:
I have a book that was given to me many years ago that may be out of print called:  FIGHTING WORDS From War, Rebellion and other Combative Capers by Christine Ammer published by Dell Books #0440-206669  I would highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in military expressions.

The author goes into great detail on the source and origins of many expressions including anecdotal evidence of the initial usage.
On the Air Force side, Tom Langeste's Words on the Wing: Slang, Aphorisms, Catchphrases and Jargon of Canadian Military Aviation Since 1914 published by Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies is a great source too.

Rheostatic said:
Why does the Army call lessons "mutuals"?

This might be a misapplication. Thinking back to taking and later, teaching on, NCO courses in the 1970's and 80's, the practice periods of instruction in which candidates taught their peers were referred to as "Periods of Mutual Instruction". We referred to these as "Mutuals". Likely the usage of the term was broadened uot to mean all periods of instruction.

Cheers

Oldgateboatdriver said:
We do, but we spell it with an "o" instead of the "u": dhoby.

"guerrilla": Spanish for "little war", but they adapted it form Samuel de Champlain's reference to his fighting the Iroquois being a "petite guerre" because there never were fights of large body of men face to face as in European wars of the time.

And we call laundry detergent "dhoby dust".

As for Duff.  That's desert on ship, so "no duff" is indeed a serious situation.  ;D

pbi said:
This might be a misapplication. Thinking back to taking and later, teaching on, NCO courses in the 1970's and 80's, the practice periods of instruction in which candidates taught their peers were referred to as "Periods of Mutual Instruction". We referred to these as "Mutuals". Likely the usage of the term was broadened uot to mean all periods of instruction.

Cheers

Sounds about right to me and I'm from the same era. Mind I do remember not be allowed to refer to them as "periods" by a crusty old MWO.  8)

Going back to the Brass Monkey debate:

From the US Department of the Navy Naval History & Heritage Command

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq107.htm

The first recorded use of the term "brass monkey" appears to dates to 1857 when it was used in an apparently vulgar context by C.A. Abbey in his book Before the Mast, where on page 108 it says "It would freeze the tail off a brass monkey." [Source: Lighter, J.E. ed. Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang. (New York: Random House, 1994): 262.]

It has often been claimed that the "brass monkey" was a holder or storage rack in which cannon balls (or shot) were stacked on a ship. Supposedly when the "monkey" with its stack of cannon ball became cold, the contraction of iron cannon balls led to the balls falling through or off of the "monkey." This explanation appears to be a legend of the sea without historical justification. In actuality, ready service shot was kept on the gun or spar decks in shot racks (also known as shot garlands in the Royal Navy) which consisted of longitudinal wooden planks with holes bored into them, into which round shot (cannon balls) were inserted for ready use by the gun crew. These shot racks or garlands are discussed in: Longridge, C. Nepean. The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships. (Annapolis MD: Naval Institute Press, 1981): 64. A top view of shot garlands on the upper deck of a ship-of-the-line is depicted in The Visual Dictionary of Ships and Sailing. New York: Dorling Kindersley, 1991): 17.

E.R. Campbell said:
And see the tubby troops thread for the consequences of too much "duff."
Ah well they've gone "blue menu" on my ship since she came out of the yard and as I understand the rest of the fleet will be press ganged into it as well very shortly.  Duff is on the endangered species list I fear.  Nevertheless, I won't run while at sea.  PT is a shore side pass time as far as I'm concerned.

Back