• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

military occupations

atticus

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi! What are some military occupations that well relate to something in a civillian field? I'm not meaning something like a dentist or such but something that you learn in the army that can be almost directly related to something in a civie career field. I'm just curious because when I go reg force I don't want to choose to do a career if five or so years down the road I have nothing to fall back on when I want to get a civie job. I'm also wondering what occupation lets you travel to different places while doing your job? Is the navy a better choice for traveling than the army?

I didn't put this into the recruiting folder because I have already went through that with the reserves and it also didn't seem to fit into any of the three subfolders.

If you were a little more specific about what career line you are interested in, it would help.As for trades that travel alot I would say traffic tech however if your looking for "tours" overseas there is not really one trade that gets more tours than an other.Maybee comms.I would suggest you chose a trade that appeals to you as a military trade because once you are in the CF, there is plenty of opportunity to upgrade your education for free to whatever you want.As well, when you are ready to release from the military, they will offer you the SCAN (second career assistance network) to help you ease out of the military into the job of your choice.

If your primary thought on joining the forces is "what civilian career can I move into when I'm done?" then my guess is you should be considering your motivations for joining in the first place. Join the military in a trade that interests you, and you'll have a much better time doing it. If you sign up for a trade only because it's highly transferrable to a civilian job, then you're pretty much setting yourself up for a miserable time (constantly counting down days 'till you're out and in that civilian job, etc, rather than making the most of your time in).

Recceguy's link pretty much gives you what you asked for.

Edit: just realized you're already in the reserves. Ask around your unit: people who have been around will know of others in all sorts of trades who have moved civie-side and could provide input.

Okay, thanks for the website. I was just asking so I don't make an uneducated choice. What exactly does this SCAN do?

I have never used it but from what others have told me, it is a program that will take your interests for a future job and advise you what training you will require to enable you to become competative in the hiring for that job.For example I had a friend who got out and wanted to drive trucks.The military set him up in a truck driving school, paid for his training and thusly avoided adding another number to the unemployment lines.The military will not entertain releasing someone that just wants to live with mom and dad again and get drunk.You will have to provide a realistic plan that wont leave you out in the cold and trying to blame the CF.

With many baby boomers getting getting ready to ret, they'll be plenty of jobs in the health care field. MOCs geared towards the medical/health fields will probably translate into jobs in the public sector.   You should join b/c of passion and drive, not b/c you can grab a job in the public sector down the line. Most decent jobs today require some level of re-training..which is something else to think about.

Back