• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

military medals you have received

• Thread starter Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date Start date
Right on thanks for the info on the wound stripe!

Here is my question, I am pretty much retired now, and wear a regimental blazer with the crest on the breast pocket, do I wear my stripe on that?

dileas

tess

BTW Micheal, excellent excellent site!! I've surfed it from time to time, and must commend on the shear amount of info, and work you have put into it!

Wish I had more time to devote to it, Tess, certainly the subject matter deserves it.  I certainly appreciate the feedback.

If you ever have the desire to put together photos/bio I would love to put your story up on the site, as I did with Art Johnson.

To the matter at hand:

I think it would be unusual to wear the wound stripe on your blazer - but i doubt anyone would have the balls to tell you to take it off, either!

It's unfortunate it doesn't have the status of a Decoration.

cheers Michael,

I would be honored!!  Art is someone many many many of the lads in the regiment, and I am sure here, have looked up to.  A true Highlander and soldier.

We should talk, as I would love to add a bio to your site.

Now that I think of it, I guess you are right about the blazer, it would make it look a bit gawdy.

dileas

tess

Ok, this is really ironic but I'll share my medals....when I was in the CF I got none...no deployments and not enough time for my CD (10 months short).  As a Marine, I have three medals:  National Defense Service Medal (aka the fire watch ribbon), my Good Conduct Medal (given for every three years of undetected crime-like a CD but you don't have to wait as long) and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (given to everyone during this time of crisis-not to be confused with the global war on terrorism expeditionary medal, given to those who went to Iraq).

The irony of it all is that I only have four years in the Marines and no deployments.  Amusing at times.

PJ D-Dog

UNFICYP (Cyprus 1990)
SFOR (Bosnia 1997)
SWASM w/ Afghan Bar (Afghanistan 2002)
CD 1 (22 years of service)
CFPSM (Freebie for Cyprus & Bosnia)
U.S. Army Bronze Star for Merit (Freebie - Afghanistan 2002)
CinC Commendation (Freebie - Afghanistan 2002)

I consider multiple medals/commendations awarded for a single deployment to be "freebies".  Given their largely redundant nature, I don't assign much personal importance to those....

Cheers,

Mark C 

I'm pretty much in the same boat as PJ D-Dog.

No CF service or campaign medals, however in a period of 4 years in the Marines I've so far been awarded:

Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal (3 years service in the Marine reserve, kind of an abbreviated timespan CD)
National Defense Service Medal (served during the time of war)
Global War on Terrorism, Expeditionary Medal (for service in Iraq in 2003)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 'M' device (for service in a reserve unit that was mobilized during a time of war, Iraq 2003)
Presidential Unit Citation-Naval (Awarded to 1st MEF for service in Iraq)
Sea Service Deployment (for service outside of the US for a period of 3 months or longer)

I also rate, but have not yet been awarded:
Global War on Terrorism, Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal

:bullet:
I've been awarded in my 12 odd years the following:

NATO PEACEKEEPING SERVICE MEDAL BOSNIA 1998 OP PALLADIUM  ;D
NATO PEACEKEEPING SERVICE MEDAL KOSOVO 1999-2000 OP KINETIC  :-[
CANADIAN PEACEKEEPER SERVICE MEDAL  :army:
GENERAL CAMPAIGN STAR AFGHANISTAN 2003 OP ATHENA  :blotto:
SOUTH WEST ASIA SERVICE MEDAL AFGHANISTAN 2003- 2004 OP ARCHER  :threat:

Still waiting on my US Army Commendation Medal  :crybaby: for service at the CLJ in Kabul.
Soon to be awarded my CD for 12 years of undetected crime.  :mg:
:cdn:

Back