• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

military medals you have received

• Thread starter Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date Start date
V

Veteran`s son

Hello everyone:

I am wondering what military medals the members of this forum have received?

Also, some of the members have spoken of serving in Bosnia, I believe.

Which medal is awarded for service in Bosnia?

Again, your replies would be appreciated!

As you can see by my signature, I served in Bosnia in 93-94. This entitled me to the UNPROFOR medal and later on, the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal. While I was there I served at the Backovici/Drin hospital which earned me the Commendation you see below.

Bzz

I have racked up a few myself

Gulf War Service medal
UNPROFOR (2)
KFOR
UNDOF(2)
CPSM
CD
SSM (NATO)
Wound Stripe (Sarajevo 1992)

The thing is all that and $1.25 will get you a coffee at Tim Hortons and not much else

I‘ve received a couple from Cadets:

Legion Medal of Excellence
Lord Strathcona Medal

NATO Peace keeping Medal Bosnia 97(IFORintoSFOR)
CPSM
CD with bar
QGJM(Don‘t know why?Never got caught I guess :D )
CO‘s commandation and verious ata boy letter‘s.
(Do they count?LOL!)

MG34,just curious,how did you get the Gulf War Service gong?Protection force for the pecker checker‘s?

I‘ve got the CD, and was awarded the rank of Henchman in the Clan of the Gallant Canadians.

;)

The Gulf War medal was for guarding an airfield in Qatar,wooohooo!!!!fun wow

Cadet medals sometimes don‘t mean anything. More of a political thing than what one would think. This may not be the case for your corps, but in my old corps and many others I have seen, it was certainly the case.

11 years until my CD (hopefully)!

:p

:cdn: UNPROFOR Op Harmony Roto 2
CPSM
Golden Jubilee
CIC Commendation (Medak Pocket)

Interesting to see the mention of a wound stripe, tell us more. I lost a leg and part of an elbow with the 1st Bn RCR in Korea and wasn‘t issued a wound stripe. Pro Patria

I am not too sure when they started reissueing the Wound Stripe,I got mine for getting shot in the leg Sarejevo Airport in 1992 Op Harmony Roto 0,on that tour I beleive at least 4 others were wounded as well with Wound Stripes being issued as well.I got mine 4 years after the fact in 1996,and some others were issues them in the 1993,1994/5 tours as well I am sure there are more out there as well.

MG34:

The Wound Stripe, our traditional badge to honour soldiers wounded in action, disappeared with Unification and the Green Suit that Mr. Hellyer gave us. It reappeared in the early 1990s, I believe right around the same time that the VC was reinstated into the Canadian Honours system.

I do not recall the exact year this happened, but ‘92 or ‘93 seems about right. I believe that the reason was that the powers-that-be realised that with the operations in FRY, Canadian soldiers were going to be WIA, and there was no official way to recognise/honour them. Unlike our Yank Allies with the Purple Heart, the Wound Stripe was the traditional way that the Armies of the British Commonwealth recognised soldiers who had actually shed their blood in defence of the nation.

If the Wound Stripe was reinstated in ‘92 or ‘93, it would have taken the NDHQ staff some time to work out who was entitled to receive this award. You may remember that NDHQ‘s records of Canadian casualties (WIA) in the early ‘90s were less than accurate/complete - Capt Kennedy, the original Editor of LFCA‘s Army Newspaper, The Garrison, wrote an article on this. This may explain why it took so long for you to receive the award.

Perhaps Michael Dorosh or someone else on this Forum can give us a more exact date for the reinstatement of the Wound Stripe?

As to the original question, I have a CD.

Regards,

CPSM
UNTAG (Namibia 1989, ROTO 0)
UNPORFOR (Bosnia 1994/95, ROTO 4)
CD
HOStJ

Another Recce Guy, I am member of St. John, i haven‘t heard of the Grade H.O.St.J, did you mean O.St.J.

I have a CD, and to be honest - I am not sure where it is. Packed in a box in the garage, I suspect. I also have a couple that I made myself - the accompanying scrolls are signed by General Windwolfe :D

Hello everyone:

Thought that I would mention this topic again to see if anyone else would like to reply. :)

SWASM, CPSM, CD, UNPROFOR ,SFOR CinC
cold bored hot and heavy its all the same its all in how you see yourself
:fifty:

Back