• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military ID Card Pics

Craignum2

Inactive
Reaction score
So I got my picture taken for my military ID card, and by the time it developed I realized I looked like hell. My berret flattened my hair beyond repair, glasses weren't straight, crooked smile, and I don't think the picture was taken when I was ready because I wasn't even looking like I was ready. And what am I going to do, say "Cpl., could I get another photo? I'm not sure I look good enough." Hehehe, I could just imagine what he'd say.

Nothin' like a good photo for a laugh.

Anyways, anybody else got any ID photo mishaps?

The Aussie IDs are all digital, as I suppose by now, so are the CF's.

So, ya sit down, (with the proper forms of course ( Unit raised) and they take your pic, you sign on the line with an electronic pencil on a pad, and 2 minutes later you get your card. Sometimes they even show ya the picture, and if its bad, its just the matter of another quick pic. Plus 2 yrs after i got my last card, it was so worn, I went back for a re-sit. My pic was still on the hard drive, so it just spat out the same pic from 2 yrs ago. In and out in uder 5 minutes.

Same with dog tags, you go to the QM, they pop 'em in a machine, and 2 minutes later (or less) you got them.

No waiting for weeks. Each Area QM has its own ID card computer, and electric dog tag embosser.

Cheers,

Wes

The day my BMQ was having their rifle qualifing four guys and I got dragged off by a Sgt to go get our ID's. The guy taking them was grumpy as heck and I'm pretty sure that we all looked half dead in our pics. When people see mine they say it looks like I'm about to either cry or fall asleep. I guess when you go from an area of high activity to an area with a guy wearing a labcoat barely saying anything other than, "look here" you really get to feeling tired.

just a question... does this apply to the reserves? i mean, getting dog tags and an ID card on request that quickly? or do you only get one or the other in the reserves, etc.

does every unit have a computer/machine for this?

Wesley H. Allen said:

Wes

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...................................................................

My last one was done with a polaroid camera on the parade square...I think it was back in September.

infamous_p said:
just a question... does this apply to the reserves? i mean, getting dog tags and an ID card on request that quickly? or do you only get one or the other in the reserves, etc.

Army is Army. Part-time or full time, what is required is the proforma. ID cards here do not say Reserve or Regular, they say Army, and also your rank, like CPL, MAJ etc. NO blood type either.

Area QMS have the machines, units do not.

Cheers,

Wes

infamous_p said:

in the canadian forces... i dont think ive ever heard of it comming that quickly ... and no I think a very small percentage of the units have the equipment for this. Usually ID DISCS...(dog tags) take a couple months... ID Cards about a month unless the BOR is quick on their feet. Permanent ID is also pretty slow, you need deus and 2 years in.

Just had a Temporary ID done last month...My God the Commissionaire who took the photo must have done Passport Photos in a previous life.....God it is bad...hope my real ID looks better.

GW

I had my ID renewed last year. You don't need to wear your DEU's but you have to take just the jacket, shirt and tie.

The pictures were taken with a digital camera and I received the new card in 3 weeks.

I was impressed as the time before that took 2 months.

I just had mine done back in Sept since the Permanent IDs are only good for 5 years. The temp one is a normal photo and takes a few minutes to make. The permanent one has to be in DEUs (waist up at least) and it's a digital photo, I think the Commissionaires here must know pilots pretty well because he took about 4 pictures until we got one that I was happy with.  ;D That was back in Sept, I ordered new tags at the same time and I got the tags last week, I'm still waiting on the ID card. 4 months and counting.

For our temp IDs, everyone was just told to bring in a photo, either one taken at a passport photo place or a photo booth, you didn't even have to be in uniform for it. Then the folks at the OR just popped your picture through the laminator machine along with the ID card itself, and voila.

Oh, can someone explain to me why for an ID picture you must remove your rank and nametag?  Wouldn't that, like, help to identify you...?

Wesley H. Allen said:

No, but the DMV is... it was pretty sweet... I still look like a convict on my drivers lisence, but that's beside the point.

so no one knows your name or rank silly :P (they have yet to realise that it IS an ID card) But yes...I am curious now that Michael brought it up..

As far as I know, you can keep your nametag but all other insignia must be removed. It's probably part security, can't tell what rank you are and what unit your from; and part practicality, if you get promoted or transfer you don't need a new card.

On my last ID there was no requirement to remove rank.  The name tag and ribbons would be at the bottom of the frame, so would be next to indistinguishable on a photo that size, if they even appeared--most would be cropped off.  If there was a requirement for rank in the photos, then most ID cards would have to be redone with every promotion.  If the photos are "generic" then less time and expense would be spent on renewing ID cards before the expiry dates.  ID Cards are classified as "Member" or "OFFICER" which would also be considered 'generic'.  

GW

Michael Dorosh said:
Oh, can someone explain to me why for an ID picture you must remove your rank and nametag?   Wouldn't that, like, help to identify you...?

What rank are you talking about? You should be wearing a tunic for the photo so I'm not entirely sure how you had to take the rank off that. Are you talking about the collar? I didn't think you wore it on the collar with a tie, it's been a while since I wore green DEUs though.....

I didn't have to take my name tag off and I couldn't take my wings off, the picture doesn't go low enough to see your rank anyway, even for NCMs. It only comes down to about the top of the pockets.

George Wallace said:
ID Cards are classified as "Member" or "OFFICER" which would also be considered 'generic'.  
GW

Actually, it is "Regular NCM" vice Member.

Back