• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memories of Germany

I think Germany was definitely the funnest time of my life.  The money exchange was good, the beer and other vices were cheap and you could travel all over Europe in very little time.  I actually went to Paris on a school trip!  In Ontario students go to the science centre, no comparison.

Coming back to Canada was termed coming back to reality.  That pretty much sums it up.

GreyMatter said:
What kind of reunion? A CF one or private?

I'm leaving on Tuesday at 0-dark-hundred. It's an army reunion of my buddies from Germany and I'm also visiting some very old friends from when I was a boy. My family lived in Germany for almost 11 years when I was growing up (my dad was a career Soldier) and I was stationed there for four years during my career in the 11th Cavalry Regiment. I can hardly wait to get over there! 

"For now, I will just look at pictures and reminisce."

Try this page and reminisce, it has changed, I was there for 15 years in The RCR and Commando

http://www.badenremembered.com/

Ah!  The 11th Cav.  We (RCD) used to work with them from time to time.  Always ran into a team or two at CAV Cup in Graff and later at Boeselager.  Were you up in Hof?  That was a great 'Border Tour' to be hosted on.

George, I was stationed in Bad Kissingen with 2nd Squadron. Our border camp was up at Wollbach and we linked up on the south with the guys based out of Hof. If memory serves me right, that was 3/7 Cavalry out of Schweinfurt.

I have pics of the base as it looks now but don't know how to post them

Red 6 said:
I'm leaving on Tuesday at 0-dark-hundred. It's an army reunion of my buddies from Germany and I'm also visiting some very old friends from when I was a boy. My family lived in Germany for almost 11 years when I was growing up (my dad was a career Soldier) and I was stationed there for four years during my career in the 11th Cavalry Regiment. I can hardly wait to get over there! 

Have fun!  "Enschuldegung, zwei bier, bitte!"

I just got home last night and the trip was amazing! It went by way way too fast though. I'll post some photos once I download them from the camera. PS: Hefeweizen still tastes the same! ;D

Here are a few pictures from my recent trip to Germany. The top one is the view from the Heimatblick near Melpers looking into Thuringia, which was in the old GDR. Where  I was standing was one of our old patrol checkpoints on the East German border. Below that is a sunset in Thalwenden which is a beautiful spot in central Germany. The third picture is me at our Regimental monument at OP Alpha, which today is a memorial and museum. The final picture is my ricksack and hiking staff propped on an old Kingdom of Bavaria border stone near Frankenheim.

Back