• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mefloquine (a.k.a Lariam) anti-malarial in CF use (merged)

• Thread starter Thread starter Pugnacious
  • Start date Start date
Alcohol is a dangerous substance whose byproducts include formaldehyde. Most people have no problem over dosing on it.

On a completely different thought:
Ask anyone who has had malaria....they'd rather have some bad dreams, instead of living in one for 10-14days.

Pieman, given that they didn't cite any stats, they're having problems finding them (and so are we for that matter) but are trying to infer that there are many.  Just like the drug was "declared dangerous" - by one physician.  The PHAC or any other regulatory agency in this country haven't come out saying so, and we've been using it for a number of years now.  If someone were to decide that mefloquine was dangerous, PHAC and Health and Welfare Canada would have to acknowledge that...and to be honest, if it were to get pulled, they'd better start pulling some considerably more dangerous medications and other products off the shelves shortly afterwards.

Seems like some pretty terrible reporting by the CBC, once again......I know that must come as a shock to many of you. ha! I'm not sold this is a real issue unless they come up with some stats showing long term effects one way or the other.

Rider Pride said:
Alcohol is a dangerous substance whose byproducts include formaldehyde. Most people have no problem over dosing on it.

On a completely different thought:
Ask anyone who has had malaria....they'd rather have some bad dreams, instead of living in one for 10-14days...or longer

There - FTFY.  Saw my first malaria attack when I was 9 - my grandfather started cycling on a plane ride back from the UK with me.  He contracted it in SE Asia during the Second World War and never got rid of it.

Edit for spelling.

MM

Mefloquin turned me into a newt!

Wacky Wednesdays on ROTO 0 in Kandahar...my nightmares were more entertaining than anything else in that dust pit.....

In 2007, I took Malarone, one of the daily pill because I didn't have enough workup time before deploying to get on mefloquin. Didn't like it because 1. I always forgot to take it, and 2. it seemed to mess with my appetite.

In 2009, I wanted mefloquin, particularly to see what the "vivid dreams" would bring me. First Mefloquin monday, nothing at all...and the same followed for the following 10 months. What a rip.

We did however have a guy who did get the terrors, pretty bad ones too. Easy enough, go to the medics, "Hey, mefloquin f**** me up", and prescription promptly changed.

I took mefloquine, and got the crazy dreams (don't know about nightmares, but I would definately wake up, with a sense of well that was f'ed up).  I still get the dreams though, and I have been back for over a year.

recceguy said:
I had trouble with it and switched to Doxy for the rest of the tour. Once I was off the mefloquine I was fine (at least I think so, others aren't sure)

You are correct in your assessment sir and I heartily concur!!

A few  troops from the Airborne told me they had "meflomares". All anecdotal though and no real evidence.

Jim Seggie said:
You are correct in your assessment sir and I heartily concur!!

A few  troops from the Airborne told me they had "meflomares". All anecdotal though and no real evidence.

I have no numbers, but many shipmates (myself included) described suffering from nightmares after we deployed to Somalia on HMCS Preserver.  Some of them continued long after we stopped taking the medication.  Again, no numbers, and nobody official has ever solicited my input as part of a study to find out how prevalent the problem was.

Problem is, I don't think there is a study on how the drug affects patients who are taking it coupled with a highly-stressful environment like deployed operations in a war zone. There may be a majority who have no ill-effects, but we can't call BS on the members who are having issues without scientific backing.

Vivid technocolour dreams on the day I took it, but fine the other six days of the week with no lingering issues.

There may be a majority who have no ill-effects, but we can't call BS on the members who are having issues without scientific backing.
I totally agree there. The numbers could super low, but does not mean it does not happen to people.

Took the pills on 02 tour, gave me vivid gory violent dreams. stopped taking it after I started hallucinating. Still have the dreams- couldn't say whether pills are partly to blame or not.

Here is the Health Canada site giving drug warnings about Larium...AKA Mefloquine:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/public/_2005/lariam_pa-ap-eng.php

Two key points I will highlight, as does Health Canada:

1. Do not take 'Lariam' to prevent malaria if you

have or had depression
    have had recent mental illness or problems, including anxiety disorder, schizophrenia (a severe type of mental illness), or psychosis (losing touch with reality)
    have or had seizures (epilepsy or convulsions)
    are allergic to quinine or quinidine (medicines related to 'Lariam')

2. If you use 'Lariam' to prevent malaria and you develop a sudden onset of unexplained anxiety, depression, restlessness or irritability, or confusion (possible signs of more serious mental problems), or you develop other serious side effects, including a persistently abnormal heart beat or palpitations, contact a doctor or health care provider. It may be necessary to stop taking 'Lariam' and use another malaria prevention medicine instead.

This was known in 2005.

If you were not completely honest on your questionnaire (which I know was done in 2005) before you got the meds, or did not report adverse symptoms while on the meds, then you should not be surprised how the government lawyers will present the case against you.

Anecdotal:

Myself and friend going to Honduras: same malaria medication and dosage.

Me : no effect
Friend:  strange dreams

I'll stick to Gin and Tonics or better Rum and Tonics

AJFitzpatrick said:
Anecdotal:

Myself and friend going to Honduras: same malaria medication and dosage.

Me : no effect
Friend:  strange dreams

I'll stick to Gin and Tonics or better Rum and Tonics

It's quinine resistant there and most other places now.  Nice try though...at least you'll have fun while you're getting sick though :nod:.

MM

Hatchet Man said:
I took mefloquine, and got the crazy dreams (don't know about nightmares, but I would definately wake up, with a sense of well that was f'ed up).  I still get the dreams though, and I have been back for over a year.

Find a military health provider and talk about it.  If they're recurring, it's probably not a medication issue.  There are plenty of resources out there, and there are folks who are there to help.

(Indeed, there are a few on here who can steer you in the right direction - PM me if you want to get in touch with one).

dapaterson said:
Find a military health provider and talk about it.  If they're recurring, it's probably not a medication issue.  There are plenty of resources out there, and there are folks who are there to help.

(Indeed, there are a few on here who can steer you in the right direction - PM me if you want to get in touch with one).

Or PM me too.

Rider Pride said:
Here is the Health Canada site giving drug warnings about Larium...AKA Mefloquine:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/public/_2005/lariam_pa-ap-eng.php

Two key points I will highlight, as does Health Canada:

1. Do not take 'Lariam' to prevent malaria if you

have or had depression
    have had recent mental illness or problems, including anxiety disorder, schizophrenia (a severe type of mental illness), or psychosis (losing touch with reality)
    have or had seizures (epilepsy or convulsions)
    are allergic to quinine or quinidine (medicines related to 'Lariam')

2. If you use 'Lariam' to prevent malaria and you develop a sudden onset of unexplained anxiety, depression, restlessness or irritability, or confusion (possible signs of more serious mental problems), or you develop other serious side effects, including a persistently abnormal heart beat or palpitations, contact a doctor or health care provider. It may be necessary to stop taking 'Lariam' and use another malaria prevention medicine instead.

This was known in 2005.

If you were not completely honest on your questionnaire (which I know was done in 2005) before you got the meds, or did not report adverse symptoms while on the meds, then you should not be surprised how the government lawyers will present the case against you.

Except none of that was explained to us in 03. I was almost bounced from my tour because I would take it on Wed, turn into Mr Hyde  for Thurs, Fri, Sat. Start to level out on Sun, Mon. Have a normal day Tues and start all over again on Wed, when I had to remedicate. Once I went onto Doxy, at my request, no, demand, I levelled out and was OK. They did not want to switch me. I had to make the MO put it in writing that it was my request.  I served with Samolia vets in Afghanistan that were given three times the dose we received. Given the pshycotic episodes I had at my dose, I can only imagine what they had to endure.

If you were lucky, and didn't endure any effects, good on you. Please don't discount those that did have effects and are still bothered by symptoms today. The Army always seems to be the guinea pig of any weird drug trial the government needs doing without incurring cost.

Proof being: Were military pers told at the time of the side effects that civilians are told of now? Of course not. We were told to take it or be charged. That was our choice.

dapaterson said:

Appreciate it , although I am not totally sure if its a mental thing, drug thing, or something I should be worried about.  My dreams don't concern me persay...cause they aren't nightmares really, its just they are just really fucking weird and wild, think the movie suckerpunch,  with totally random disjointed  but vivid as hell imagery, and I don't have the same dreams its a new ride every night.  I guess whereas a coworker will say hey I had this crazy dream where I won the lottery, blah blah blah, I will be like meh, I dreamt The Joker (Heath Ledger's Joker Character from the movie) was at my house for thanksgiving, and said my moms cooking was terrible then flipped the table and tried stabbing me in the face.  Thats the kind of stuff I experience, no nightmares just, waking up going ok... that was weird.

Back