• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician Question

George Wallace said:
Now you must all remember that these are the requirements for applicants in one province.  As each province has a different curriculum, they all have different requirements that must be met listed in the Recruiter's manuals.  The CFRCs all have the criteria that need to be met listed for each and every province.

Very true, being from Ontario the Barrie recruiter's information should still stand as I from Ontario. I hope the requirements remain as they are so either courses I take won't be in vein or become obsolete.

Mike

canada94 said:
Very true, being from Ontario the Barrie recruiter's information should still stand as I from Ontario. I hope the requirements remain as they are so either courses I take won't be in vein or become obsolete.

Hard to predict the future at Ontario's colleges. But, The University of Toronto certainly raised the bar in this province, and across Canada, when they introduced Paramedicine as an Honours Bachelor of Science degree.:
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~jtprogs/paramedicine.html

I'm in highschool right now (grade 11), and before I went into highschool it said that MedTechs only need Biology and Chemistry. I didn't take physics so will I need to take it now to get in when I graduate? I'm also taking math if that helps.

If it will help any of you with the question;

The degree we newly graduated CF PAs receive from Univ Of Nebraska is a BSc (Bachelor of Science).

I was under the impression that most Paramedicine Degrees were mainly management, as opposed to practice oriented, degrees.  Kind of like the difference between a BScN and a Diploma RN - alot of filler courses for the degree (now need to duck from the shyte storm that's about to start  ;D).

MM

medicineman said:
I was under the impression that most Paramedicine Degrees were mainly management, as opposed to practice oriented, degrees.  Kind of like the difference between a BScN and a Diploma RN - alot of filler courses for the degree (now need to duck from the shyte storm that's about to start  ;D).

MM

In 2009, the year I retired, of the 50 Paramedics T-EMS hired, there were "26 graduates who are university educated". The news release did not say from what programs. That would be in addition to the two year PCP Diploma. When I joined, all you needed was a high school diploma.
This is the degree program outline:
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~jtprogs/para_sequence.html

The "Paramedic degree" from U of T is the 2 year diploma plus 2 years of Life Sciences courses. The degree from UOIT is an applied degree with mostly management courses. It doesn't change anything in regards to clinical practice nor IMHO does it give you an edge to get into management. With the UOIT degree it's not even eligible to be applied towards a Masters.

Most Medics I work with have a Science degree to begin with so it is of no advantage to pursue this degree as it really isnt EMS specific.

I would however reccommend it to those coming directly from High School as it will give you both a Diploma  (Centennial College) and a full science Degree from U of T.

I would avoid the UOIT program altogether.

Civvymedic said:
I would however reccommend it to those coming directly from High School as it will give you both a Diploma  (Centennial College) and a full science Degree from U of T.

That sounds like good advice for high school students considering paramedicine. Our new chief holds a Bachelor of Health Science Degree from Charles Sturt* University and an Ambulance and Emergency Care Certificate ( from 20 years ago, before it went Diploma ) from Fanshawe College.

*correct spelling.

In the news four days ago. Looks like a lot of Toronto AEMCA grads will not be getting hired by the city. I suppose Centennial ( the other city college ) is having the same placement problem:
http://humberetc.com/2011/02/09/toronto-ems-not-hiring-humber-paramedics-2/

It's not like there is no work for them:
"Farr ( Chief of T-EMS ) said he’s also concerned about morale among paramedics. 'They’re not seeing any downtime on their shifts, they’re going from one call to the next, they’re being forced to work overtime at the end of their shifts, and in many cases they’re not getting their lunches.' ":
http://www.thestar.com/news/torontocouncil/article/927271--city-needs-90-more-paramedics-chief-says?bn=1
Response times are slipping. With the way the election went, I can not say that I am surprised by the news.

I expect Toronto CFRC will be seeing a surge of AEMCA grads. Either that, or they will stay in school to upgrade their Diploma to a Degree.

I have a related question:

I did not take biology or chemistry in high school but I am a university graduate (although not in a area concerning biology of chemistry), would my post secondary education be accepted as fulfilling the prerequisite secondary schooling?

I've asked recruiters this in the online chat from the forces.ca website and they said it would have to be decided case by case, so not alot of helpful information there. hopefully someone here has been through something similar or heard of someone going through something similar. any helpful information would be appreciated.

No answer from me.  I'm just wondering why this thread is under Physical Training & Standards?      ???

PMedMoe said:
No answer from me.  I'm just wondering why this thread is under Physical Training & Standards?      ???

I made it here as it is "Physical Training and Standards". I originally thought standards as in, prerequisites. I now realize that standards is part of the title with PT, so it was misunderstanding on my part.

:)
Mike

This is how my reply was from the online recruiter:
Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Forces (CF).

Medical Technician applicants from provinces other than Quebec require a high school diploma with Grade 12 Biology and one Grade 12 science course (either Chemistry or Physics) and a valid, unrestricted driver’s license.

Applicants from Quebec require a high school diploma (DES) which includes a Secondary 5 level science course (Chemistry or Physics) and either Science and Technology (055-306) or Application of Science and Technology (057-306) in addition to a valid, unrestricted driver’s license.

Find below the link to the occupation description on our Web site:

http://forces.ca/en/job/medicaltechnician-141.

You may apply online at www.forces.ca
Sincerely,

A. ****

Master Corporal/

This is SO CLOUDY.

Why would a recruiter tell me I need Grade 11 Biology (college, as there is NO GRADE 12 COLLEGE BIO). I've changed my high school schedule just to fit everything I was told and now it is apparent that it is not  enough. Hope fully my guidance councilor will allow me to take grade 12 Academic Bio even though I wouldn't be technically allowed.

I talked to a recruiter over the phone the other day about becoming a Med Tech, he told me I needed Bio 30 and another 30 level science as well as math. I only have Applied Math 20 and he said that was fine.

IsraelC said:
I talked to a recruiter over the phone the other day about becoming a Med Tech, he told me I needed Bio 30 and another 30 level science as well as math. I only have Applied Math 20 and he said that was fine.

I'm still in high school, sadly I did not get my courses changed (wasn't allowed) but next year my guidance is allowing me to take all the necessary courses.

- Mike

Back