• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

Nope, no bias at all......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/05/01/pol-vp-greg-weston-harper-anniversary.html

Harper's real agenda visible in budget bill

A year after the country last went to the polls, Stephen Harper has assumed the near-dictatorial powers

To be fair- Greg Weston is a columnist and political commentator.  He is under no obligation to approach the truth, as he is not presenting "news"- he is offering opinion.

I received a reply to my complaint about political bias, polls used and broken vote compasses but it's a load of malarky and not worth taking the time to copy and paste here. I started to reply but thought better of it and decided to make better use of my time.

Besides their steadfast denial that they could actually improve, they take a pretty snotty tone in their replies. But I will admit that it was a long reply and appeared to be well thought out, even if it lacked much in the way of desire to improve. Basically it felt holier than thou. Whoda' thunk that?

Scott said:
I received a reply to my complaint about political bias, polls used and broken vote compasses but it's a load of malarky and not worth taking the time to copy and paste here. I started to reply but thought better of it and decided to make better use of my time.

Besides their steadfast denial that they could actually improve, they take a pretty snotty tone in their replies. But I will admit that it was a long reply and appeared to be well thought out, even if it lacked much in the way of desire to improve. Basically it felt holier than thou. Whoda' thunk that?
Sounds like the same reply I received as well.  You're right about the snotty and high horsed attitude of the author.

Scott said:
jollyjacktar said:
Sounds like the same reply I received as well.  You're right about the snotty and high horsed attitude of the author.
I'm guessing that in a megalith the size of the CBC, it's not a single "author" who does these things.  If it's like government, it's sorta "written by committee", with many poking their spoon into the pot to stir.  That also explains the high-end, non-plain-text responses.

Scott said:
Good call

My favorite line is:
First, it will be reviewed by a Commons finance committee ill-equipped to deal with environmental, immigration and other non-fiscal matters.

But Greg Weston is well equipped to judge that a Commons finance committee is ill-equipped to deal with .......

My opinion of Greg Weston and his abilities have not changed. Pompous is one word descriptor.

SeaKingTacco: On CBC radio yesterday, he was not introduced as
Greg Weston is a columnist and political commentator.

He was introduced as CBC's Senior Political Analyst.

Good for me but not for thee....

http://bcblue.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/media-think-cbc-ceo-lacroix-120-lunches-are-ok-but-not-odas-16-oj/

Media think CBC CEO Lacroix $120 lunches are OK but not Oda’s $16 OJ
April 30, 2012 — BC Blue

The Ottawa Press Gallery members would never hold one of their own to the same standards they demand of a government minister especially when that person runs the CBC.

Last November CBC CEO Hubert Lacroix was caught expensing 2 soup and sandwich lunches for $240 (see here) and there was a grand total of 1 story written about it. Compare that to Conservative minister Bev Oda’s expense abuse coverage where there have been over 400 articles, columns and editorials written in the past week.

Every Canadian journo or politician who called for Oda’s resignation should demand the same for Lacroix.

I was wondering were Weston was, he used to be the national political guy for Quebecor.  I always thought it odd since he was always attacking Harper.

Thucydides said:
Good for me but not for thee....

http://bcblue.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/media-think-cbc-ceo-lacroix-120-lunches-are-ok-but-not-odas-16-oj/

Fair enough comment for a simpleton who doesn't realize that the OJ wasn't the problem - it was switching hotels and travel arrangements. And that it wasn't the first time she's been caught doing it. Just saying.

Redeye said:
who doesn't realize that the OJ wasn't the problem

It might not have been the problem but you sure heard all about it from the media.......repeatedly.

Just sayin'

::)

CDN Aviator said:
It might not have been the problem but you sure heard all about it from the media.......repeatedly.

Just sayin'

::)

Yes, and from pretty much all media outlets. I saw the story first on the G&M's website. Why did they highlight that in the headline? Because it was a hook to get people to read the story. And there is a story there - and it's not a new one. All the attempts at moral equivalence in the world don't change that.

These stories are not undesirable.  The Conservatives will commit fewer blunders to avoid a microscope that constantly observes.  Fewer blunders means more likelihood of re-election.

Between the media concensus that the US is "ungovernable" and the Canadian system is "near-dictatorial", I wonder what form of government would meet their approval.  It could not possibly be a function of party rather than structure, surely.

Brad Sallows said:
Between the media concensus that the US is "ungovernable" and the Canadian system is "near-dictatorial", I wonder what form of government would meet their approval.  It could not possibly be a function of party rather than structure, surely.

Not that I speak for the media, but my guess is that a couple of things would have to change:
1.  The "first past the post" system would have to be massaged into something that more closely reflects the popular vote; and
2.  Governing parties would have to stick to the principles that got them there, even after they're in power, and quit trying to sneak stuff past us.  :rofl:

But IMO, the media as a group is another part of our quasi-democratic system - a complement to HM Loyal Opposition, if you will.  If they're investigating things that the government (any government) is doing, which we wouldn't otherwise know about, I'd think that our society is well served by their presence-? 

bridges said:
Not that I speak for the media, but my guess is that a couple of things would have to change:
1.  The "first past the post" system would have to be massaged into something that more closely reflects the popular vote; and
2.  Governing parties would have to stick to the principles that got them there, even after they're in power, and quit trying to sneak stuff past us.  :rofl:

But IMO, the media as a group is another part of our quasi-democratic system - a complement to HM Loyal Opposition, if you will.  If they're investigating things that the government (any government) is doing, which we wouldn't otherwise know about, I'd think that our society is well served by their presence-?

The +'s and -'s of first past the post don't add up any worse than those of other systems. In democracies they have to retain popular support or they get voted out of office and have some of thier work reversed.

What I find in poor taste is equating anything that happens in Canada with a dictatorship. In a real dictatorship like Cuba the opposition is shot or imprisoned and all other politcal parties banned. We still have ballots that list more than one name.

bridges said:

Except when they're hyper-partisan like the current crop of federally funded muckrakers.

bridges said:
Ah, but who do the media "work" for and accountable to?  The private sector media works for its owners/shareholders, so we know where the buck stops there (pun intended).  CBC is funded by the state, but is not a "state broadcaster" like Voice of America is.  Re:  accountability, care to ask how folks on this forum feel about how CBC's dealt with their complaints?

At least with the Official elected Opposition, we get a chance to vote for/against them.  With the media, yes, we can choose, but when some only go for what's sexy/splashy, and some go against the government, no matter who the government is, it takes a pretty discriminating media consumer to sort out what's what.

DBA said:
What I find in poor taste is equating anything that happens in Canada with a dictatorship. In a real dictatorship like Cuba the opposition is shot or imprisoned and all other politcal parties banned. We still have ballots that list more than one name.

Agreed.  IMO, the fact that we're fortunate enough to have a comparatively good system is all the more reason to continue striving to improve it.

milnews.ca said:
Ah, but who do the media "work" for and accountable to?  The private sector media works for its owners/shareholders, so we know where the buck stops there (pun intended).  CBC is funded by the state, but is not a "state broadcaster" like Voice of America is.  Re:  accountability, care to ask how folks on this forum feel about how CBC's dealt with their complaints?

At least with the Official elected Opposition, we get a chance to vote for/against them.  With the media, yes, we can choose, but when some only go for what's sexy/splashy, and some go against the government, no matter who the government is, it takes a pretty discriminating media consumer to sort out what's what.

If your argument is that the CBC shouldn't be critical of the government because the variety of approaches makes it too hard for non-discriminating media consumers to choose... I'd say not to worry - there will always be some who stick with their favourite no matter how many (or few) sources there are. 

As for complaints, mine to the CBC have been dealt with in about the same manner as my complaints to private broadcasters over the years:  usually no response, sometimes a form e-mail and occasionally an individual, thoughtful response. 

And as for bias, I also listen to NPR from northern NY, and I can tell you that they're pretty vigorous about investigating anything affecting people in the region, regardless of whether Democrats or Republicans are involved, or public or private interests.  For comparison's sake, their funding model is different - listeners and advertisers make up about 60%, and the rest is a combination of state-funded and internal revenue.

If the NDP were to form the next government, I'd bet you - and I'd hope! - that the CBC would be just as pointed in their investigative journalism as they are now - to the extent allowed by diminished capacity due to cutbacks.  In the meantime, I'd be curious, if a national poll were taken, how many people appreciate the CBC holding the government accountable and how many would prefer they just lay off. 

bridges said:
In the meantime, I'd be curious, if a national poll were taken, how many people appreciate the CBC holding the government accountable and how many would prefer they just lay off.

How about a third choice of just stop giving them taxpayer money and let them fend for themselves.

No matter how you feel about them, taxpayers shouldn't be paying a cent for Mother Corp.

bridges said:
...In the meantime, I'd be curious, if a national poll were taken, how many people appreciate the CBC holding the government accountable and how many would prefer they just lay off.

That's begging the question - you imply that CBC activities "hold the government accountable."  The Auditor General and Parliamentary Budget Officer hold the Government to account - not the CBC, nor any other media organization.  Media informs and, as a private entity attempts to maximize profit, and as a public entity attempts to maxmimze its programming services within Federally-allocated resources. 

I'd wager that Canadians on average are just as disappointed with an organization whose President doesn't have an issue with spending $120 for a lunch to chat with his CRTC colleague, as they are with a Federal Minister who buys a $16 orange juice while travelling abroad.

Regards
G2G

Back