• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

McKenna's Msg to the Kindergarten known as Kanada

TCBF

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
McKenna tells Canadians to stop being smug when dealing with U.S

Canadian Press

Saturday, June 04, 2005

OTTAWA (CP) - Frank McKenna, Canada's tough-talking ambassador to the U.S., has some advice for Canadians dealing with their powerful neighbours to the south - stop being smug and take the chip off your shoulders.

Americans are offended when Canadians attack them and endlessly moralize about what they should be doing differently, he said Friday.

"In short, a self-righteousness that isn't very flattering," McKenna told The Canadian Press annual dinner, a gathering of journalists and power-brokers.

McKenna, fresh from media tours in the U.S. where he tried to correct false American impressions of Canada, turned the table on his Canadian audience, calling on them to have a better understanding of Americans.

The world changed dramatically for Americans on Sept. 11, and dealing with the shock and fear of the next attack "trumps all other issues and all other relationships," he said.

"As Canadians, we intellectually acknowledge this reality, but we do not comprehend the full depth of the emotional scarring caused by that extraordinary event."

"It has changed America. Americans are consumed with the need to protect their physical security and economic security."

McKenna said that Ottawa's increase in spending for the military and foreign aid budgets have been well-received in Washington.Traditional diplomatic fights such as softwood lumber and BSE remain.

But fear of terrorist attacks is behind the latest diplomatic spat.

The recent move by Americans to have all foreign carriers register their passenger lists if they fly over the U.S. is causing trouble around the world.

Americans are also preoccupied with social security reform, soaring oil prices and being reliant on external markets for the majority of its supplies.

The growing economic might of China has given rise to an increase in protectionist rhetoric in the U.S., he added.

"Although Americans respect us and like us, they do not think about us very much," he conceded.

To raise Canada's profile, McKenna is looking to support from a fifth column - "the Canadian diaspora."

There are up to three million expatriate Canadians living in the U.S. and McKenna said he's looking to marshal them so they can help Ottawa on issues of importance to Canada.

TCBF said:
To raise Canada's profile, McKenna is looking to support from a fifth column - "the Canadian diaspora."

There are up to three million expatriate Canadians living in the U.S. and McKenna said he's looking to marshal them so they can help Ottawa on issues of importance to Canada.

Perhaps he should look at the reason a large number of the Canadian Diasporia is in the United States: freedom and economic opportunity. I suspect he would get as many people marshalled who would want to kick the Liberals in the teeth and actively oppose any measure which strengthens the current regime as he would people who would work to help him. As for the rest, let them enjoy their retirement in Florida or Arizona.....

Perhaps he should look at the reason a large number of the Canadian Diasporia is in the United States: freedom and economic opportunity. I suspect he would get as many people marshalled who would want to kick the Liberals in the teeth and actively oppose any measure which strengthens the current regime as he would people who would work to help him. As for the rest, let them enjoy their retirement in Florida or Arizona.....

BINGO

Well, except for the retirement part  :)

a_majoor said:
Perhaps he should look at the reason a large number of the Canadian Diasporia is in the United States: freedom ... <snip>

Hmmm...is Canada not free? I do not understand this part of your post. Can you help me here?
(Economic opportunity and the rest of your post I concede as probably true.)

Hmmm...is Canada not free? I do not understand this part of your post. Can you help me here?

They're probably talking about guns. Guns are important to us I guess. :)

"They're probably talking about guns. Guns are important to us I guess."

- Wrong thread. 

Tom

Yes, that was a bit too quick on the draw. My apologies, and back to your scheduled programing.

Self righteousness is just human nature. We ALL want to think that we're cute and different. Sometimes I think we vastly over estimate the public's capacity for rational, in-depth analysis.

McKenna is looking to support from a fifth column - "the Canadian diaspora."

"Fifth column"! :) That was the best term he could think of at the time?

"Sometimes I think we vastly over estimate the public's capacity for rational, in-depth analysis."

- Right you are.

Yet, somehow, without being able to articulate it, most people know right from wrong, and have a fair grasp of natural justice.  While the chattering classes are debating Karla's rights on release, Larry Lunchbox is asking Suzy Sewingkit why Karla is getting out at all, or why she and Bernardo were not hung back to back. 

One of the reasons Reagan was so successful, was that people sensed he thought the way they did, and - like them - knew right from wrong, even if he could not/would not articulate it.  His enemies never gave him credit for his strengths.  He knew how to debate - and most importantly - where and when to debate.

"We ALL want to think that we're cute and different."

Yup.  I'll pass on the cute, but we all have to feel we are an essential piece of someone's jigsaw puzzle, somewhere.  Could be the 'self-esteem' thing - there we go, back to Karla again. 

Leaving Mazlow, et-al, I think a big prob with us vis-a-vis the US is that a lot less people interact with the Americans  than before.  We seem to lack the individual understandings that survive - even thrive - temporary international fits of immaturity.  Perhaps this too, is largely a chattering classes phenomenon.  That would include our media 'elite', naturally.

Frank McKenna is a small town lawyer, who became a small Province Premier, and who was sent to
Washington DC to represent Canada's perspective on world events, and Canada's relationship
with the USA - whatever that is at any given moment. Americans whom we have known and worked
with over the decades don't think about Canada very often, if at all, in the normal course of a year,
but if anybody can make a positive impression in the USA, it is the Honorable Frank McKenna, a
professional politician, turned statesman, with lots of business and street smarts, and a knack for
getting ordinary people "on side". President Regan had that ability; it is no accident that he is known
as "the great communicator", as articulate as Kennedy or Clinton, but with a common touch. McKenna
may return to Canada to seek the Liberal leadership after the Martin flunkies sink his ship - two NB
politicians were significant in NB, Louis Robichaud and Frank McKenna, who, each in his own way,
changed the old Province for the better. MacLeod

x-grunt said:

In Canada, it is illegal for you to campaign for or against a candidate or position in a federal election UNLESS you are doing so for one of the established parties. (As a sop, there is a very limited amount third parties may spend on an election, the amount that can be spent nationally over the election campaign is less than the cost of taking out a single one page ad in a national newspaper).

In Canada, there are various mechanisms to deprive you of your property. Example, the city council of Burlington recently did a hostile "Heritage" designation on entire neighbourhoods surrounding the downtown core. IF you are a lucky home owner, you may pay taxes and have obligations to the city, but you MAY NOT paint, renovate, repair etc. your own house without the approval of city council.

The less said about travesties like the Gun/knife/cat registry the better.

The fact very little is said about such things is an ominous indication as to where we are going.

Free enough for you?

a_majoor said:
Free enough for you?

I'm not going to be a total pessimist here.  At least in Canada, I did not have to put on a uniform, take up a rifle, and a patrol the polling stations like I did in the Balkans or as I am sure many others had to do in Afghanistan.

x-grunt said:

Yes, Canada is a free country but the difference between the US and Canada is this:

In Canada, you are a subject who is extended freedoms and priviledges.  The attitude: "we know what is good for you".

In the US, you are a citizen "you have rights".

As much as this may stir up a hornets nest, it is true.  After living in Canada for 30 years, I never knew how free Americans were until I moved here.  Here, the government does not control every facet of our lives and the opportunities are abundant.  American laws are formulated to protect the individual.  Canadian laws are formulated to protect the interests of the Crown, the individual tends to come second.  Muskrat89 can vouch for this as well.

PJ D-Dog

Big Kudos to McKenna....

It's about time a public official had the stones to step up and say that.

M.  :salute:

Back