• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marksman/Distinguished Marksman badge on DEUs wearing/regulations

zeke

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys   this may be a stupid question  

the crossed rifles on the sleave of deus means markman right?   how do you get this badge? and why dont many people have it?

zeke

Crossed rifles mean proficiency.

Crossed rifles with a crown mean marksman.

For profeciency, you've got to pass your personal weapons test.

For marksman, you've got to pass with a certain score.

dont we all pass our pwt's every year?  i know i do.  why dont i have the rifles?

Because you have to have the initiative to go get it from clothing stores yourself, it usually not something a unit will have kicking around to hand out.

It is one of the things that you have to do on your own, along with your trade badges. For my section it is an honour system I told them if they scored marksmen or not and trust them to have the tailor sew the right one on.

what unit are you?  and are theese scores from pwt3 or can you put them on if you got perfect on the pwt1s

Makes sense, though mine was presented to me. Still have yet to get the thing sewn on though.

This is straight out of the "Shoot to Live" pam, and should end all the conjecture.

Qualification Badges
19. All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves the marksman's score with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 are considered a marksman and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles with crown badge.
20. All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves a pass with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 but did not achieve the marksman score are considered a first class shot and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles badge.

PWT 2

Notes.
1. Total rdsâ ”45.
2. Scoring:  
a. HPSâ ”55.
b. Marksmanâ ”46.
c. Passâ ”33.

PWT 2 - Night Supplement

Notes.
1.   Total rdsâ ”30.
2.   This supplement constitutes part of PWT 2 only.
3.   Scoring:  
a.   HPSâ ”20(one point per hit).
b.   Passâ ”10 points (50%).
3.   A marksman from the daylight tests must achieve a pass on the night supplement in order to retain the marksmanship qualification

Anyone know where i can find the full criteria for weapons qualification and scoring? i.e. ranges, target size, time, etc...

ours were given from our scores from all three and mine was presented to me at the christmas dinner from the CO

19.  All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves the marksman's score with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 are considered a marksman and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles with crown badge.

Thats sort of interesting....

The Marksman Badge used to require a marksman score on the PWT3, right? Shooting marksman on the PWT2 isn't that hard at all, considering that there is no rundown.

A. CROSSED RIFLES WITHOUT CROWN: AWARDED TO SGTS AND BELOW WHOSE
PERSONAL WEAPON IS THE C7 OR C9, AND WHO ACHIEVE 85 PERCENT OR
MORE OF THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE SCORE (HPS) ON STAGE 3, PERSONAL
WEAPON TEST LEVEL 2 (PWT 2), AND ACHIEVE A PASS ON THE PWT NIGHT
SUPP

B. CROSSED RIFLES WITH CROWN:
(1) AWARDED TO SGTS AND BELOW WHOSE PERSONAL WEAPON IS THE C7 OR
C9,AND WHO ACHIEVE 85 PERCENT OR MORE OF THE HPS ON STAGE 3, PWT
3, AND ACHIEVE A PASS ON THE PWT NIGHT SUPP, OR
(2) AWARDED TO SGTS AND BELOW WHOSE PERSONAL WEAPON IS THE C8,
AND WHO ACHIEVE 85 PERCENT OR MORE OF THE HPS ON STAGE 3, PWT 2,AND ACHIEVE A PASS ON THE PWT NIGHT SUPP
3. MARKSMEN ARE ENTITLED TO WEAR THE BADGE PROVIDED THAT IT IS
AUTH WITHIN THEIR PARENT COMMAND. A MEMBER WHO HAS QUALIFIED AS
A MARKSMAN MAY ONLY WEAR THE BADGE WITHIN THAT CALENDAR YEAR.
IF, FOR WHATEVER REASON, THE SHOOTER IS NOT RETESTED THE
FOLLOWING YEAR THE ENTITLEMENT TO WEAR THE BADGE IS REVOKED
4. PERS CURRENTLY WEARING A MARKSMANSHIP BADGE MAY CONTINUE TO
DO SO UNTIL ONE YR HAS EXPIRED SINCE LAST TESTED, OR UNTIL
RETESTED IAW REF B AS DIRECTED BY THEIR CHAIN OF COMD, WHICHEVER
COMES FIRST
5. ANY QUERIES WITH RESPECT TO THIS POLICY SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO
DAT 3-3-2, [I deleted the telephone contact info]

(2) AWARDED TO SGTS AND BELOW WHOSE PERSONAL WEAPON IS THE C8,
AND WHO ACHIEVE 85 PERCENT OR MORE OF THE HPS ON STAGE 3, PWT 2,AND ACHIEVE A PASS ON THE PWT NIGHT SUPP

And that's why we should all have C8s.

(I've never done PWT 2, in fact I don't actually know what the PWT2 is, so I'm going to assume it's not as demanding as the PWT 3)

"And that's why we should all have C8s."

There may well be a reason to all have C8s, but that ain't it.

C7 PWT 3 went to 300 metres.  C8s PWT at max 200 metres.  If we replaced C7 with C8, we better make sure it can pass a PWT at 300 metres.  Having carried and shot C7, C7A1, and C8, my faith in the present C8 at 300 metres is not there.  I have no doubt others more knowedgeable and experienced in this than I - Kevin B comes to mind - know of C8s or variants thereof that can do this.

The most I have ever put out of an individual C8 before being given a new job with a new weapon (another gripe) is prob 500 rounds or so, and I have heard that most C8s don't start to get in their groove until they have had about a thousand rounds through the pipe.

Tom

Hi!
I tried to sort this out myself and find the correct info on this topic. I also talked to Cbt Arms types to find the answer.
If you're given the Marksman/Distinguished Marksman badge from your unit's RSM after a good shoot at the range and be told to put the badge on your DEU (Land forces DEU, right sleeve, close to wrist) ,can you wear it for an unlimited period of time OR do you have to acheive the same feat everytime you requalify on the C7 in order to be allowed to still wear it.

I would appreciate your insight on this...

Cheers!

Delavan

Perhaps a look into that book that is the bible (small b) on these things; CF Dress Regs.......Army marksmen of the rank of sergeant and below who have qualified as a first class shot or marksman, based on annual classification results for the service rifle, are authorized to wear marksmanship badges, embroidered in CF and old gold on rifle green melton cloth, on service ................

Back