• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

marines recruiting canadians

slowmode said:
... the marines are glamorized to much by movies..when I assure you it will be nothing like it.

Hi Mr Slo,

Kind regards to you.

The US Marines I worked with were always sharp and 'hard corps' devoted professionals, nothing glorified about them, or what they did. Thats both USMC I have been with in peacetime and on operations in Iraq.  If thats what this person WW, wants to do, to give them a try, why not, just the attitude and the way he is prancing around here is rubbing me the wrong way.

I am sure he will get his eyes opened, and the fantasy romantic dreams of being in a foreign defence force will end abruptly in something called a reality check. Only .0001% of those wanting to do such really have the intestinal fortitude of going through with it. Talk is cheap WW. You may also want to try www.defencejobs.gov.au if you are really feeling gung-ho.

Have a good diddly day now.

Happy days,

OWDU

Correct. He can join the Royal Marines. The whole application process would be done at his own expense (ie, accomodation whilst awaiting PRMC, medicals etc), he would be given indefinite leave to remain under section blah de blah of the immigration act (for the period he chooses to serve). Once discharged, after 5 year service he can apply for citizenship, or he has 30 days to leave the UK. HM Forces pensions are both transferrable to the Canadian Forces (as well as CD time) or paid out in sterling in the country of residence..

The majority of HM forces jobs will be open to him, apart from int and some other high-tech sig trades. However he can apply for UKSF.

And whilst I was never a royal, nor even commando trained, I think it behooves me to state that there are two kinds of marine: Sub-marines and Royal Marines.

They don't say '99.9% need not apply' for nothing.

I'm sure USMC are professional, hard troops, but for downright switched-on-ness, balls, camaraderie and elitism I think RM are hard to beat.

slowmode said:
Why not join the Canadian Forces. the marines are glamorized to much by movies..when I assure you it will be nothing like it. Just stick with the Canadians

Agreed on joining the CF, but...can you tell me/us how you can assure anyone what the USMC is like?  I've read books too.  Do you have more info than the books or movies do?

Overwatch Downunder said:
You may also want to try www.defencejobs.gov.au if you are really feeling gung-ho.

OWDU,

If I can add to your post, I think this job is would be a good go.  Have you any comments on these troops?

If I was alittle younger, alittle lighter  ;D and had a back at 100%...I'd be seriously looking at this one.

The guy has his mind made up to go USMC. He's asking if anyone can get him going in the right direction.

He IS NOT a 16 year old kid asking what to do with his life. I'm sure he's given plenty of thought to it. Leave him be. If you can't help with his question, don't post.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hey, it WW here. listen, I respect the CF. As I said I was in reserves for 5yrs (I know, I know a weekend warrior). I the reason I did it, is to test the waters. Now if a was a retard who glorified movies I would've just join the CF regs, in stead of testing the water to see how serious I was at making a full career. 5yrs at 4RCR was not a walk in the park! I earned my cap brass and was very proud of it!! You gentleman know this, you probably served with reserve member while on taskings or open theaters. I have used most weapons in the CF (except the ones that cost the Canadian tax payer x number of dollars). I do understand that you do not want to see a fellow Canadian to join foreign force. I've had many discussions with my bros in my unit. I would like to see what is outside of the CF box. I've heard all about the negative aspects of the marines and what they do. I no longer look at it as a US /Canadian thing. I look at it as North America thing. Where in this together, for good or bad. The world is headed in this current downward spiral. No one can tell me that one force is better than the other. All forces are all professional at what they do, and take great pride at standing tall. We all think we are the best, because we are very loyal to our units to which we belong. I'm not naive! I do know what goes on in the world since I'm a history buff/major. I'm sure you'll see alot of me kicking around in your discussions and I probably would agree with you on most topics. I know all about how the current wars were started, bush and blah, blah, blah. I'm just one man, who knows right from wrong that has no control over anything other than my own destiny. Who knows? Maybe I will never be a marine due to where I was born. So it is written! But, not without trying! As a marine, I would receive a free education, Nat papers, and will have more doors open with much more possibilities. There will no red tape to prevent me from doing as I will in North America. There is a bigger world out there gentlemen then Canada. I CONSIDER MYSELF A PROUD CANADIAN CITIZEN, BUT A WORLD CIZITEN FIRST WITH MUCH MORE RESPONIBITIES. To OWDU, much respect. I've took a look at your link, the ADF and was impressed with those opportunities as well. I've checked out ADF in the past but did not see those possibilities for Canadians in Aussie land. Fate it seems will guide me to my personal path, whatever I choose. This is why I chose to leave a post, to hear about the thoughts of others. Even though I would've realized what a Canadian site would have to say about joining a American force! My bad, gentlemen! Though I do respect your thoughts, And you never know what will happen! That being said I will never fully leave the CF. As an 16yold would quote Arnold Schwarzenegger "I'll be back". and with a different outlook than most.

Check out the landed immigrant status thingy.....somebody has to guarantee to support you for a year upon your arrival in the states (this may be old info), and the USMC did that for me at that time....times/rules change....

I know some native guys are getting in using some obscure non-discrimination thing about the indian tribes both here and in the US.

other than that....good luck, and if you make it.....semper fi 

WOODYWOOD said:
I've checked out ADF in the past but did not see those possibilities for Canadians in Aussie land. .

Dear WW,

Thats odd, ran into three former CF members on our welcome home from Iraq parade in Brisbane back in June.

Right now in my unit alone, we've had four men, and one woman come accross from the UK in the past year, now commonly referred to as a 'lateral transfer'. The Army here is straving for experienced soldiers from from Commonwealth countries, dangling the citizenship carrot after three months service in the ADF. I had to wait two years.

The career advancement for Canadians, Kiwi/s and Poms, etc has never been better. I don't know where you got yourt research from, but for some time the grass has been much greener for those interested in coming accross. 14 yrs ago, I was welcomed with opened arms, and now the future has never been more bright for those that feel the need for a second life.

Happy days,

OWDU

There was a Canadian poster here at army.ca by the nom de plume of McAlister who as a Canadian joined the USMC.Havent heard from him since but if he can be contacted might be a wealth of info for you.

Wow, that took forever to register. Anyways, check it out WW, here' s what you need to do:
First off, are you a Native Canadian? And if you are, then you need to be able to prove it to your Marine recruiter, i.e. a letter from whatever reservation your from saying that you are OVER 50% Indian blood.  Once you can prove that, they will work with you, and get the process started on getting your Social Security Number.  If you are NOT a Native Canadian, talk to a U.S. Army recruiter and they may still work with you, the Marines is a lot harder to get in to for some reason. However, the bottom line is this, you WILL need a U.S. Social Security Number before anyone will be willing to work with you, how you get that without being Native Canadian is beyond me. Again, talk with the Army if all else fails, it's not a for sure thing, but they may still want to work with you. Just remember this, if you DO join the U.S. Military, you WILL end up in Iraq at some point. I am a Native Canadian in the U.S. Army and was in Afghanistan and Iraq, Afghanistan wasn't too bad because there are a lot of different countries there to include the Brits and Canada. However in Iraq it was just Americans. I didn't work with anyone else. It was a long a ways from home and it sure felt like it too.

I had one friend that left the CF reserves to join the USMC he was surprised at the lower level of basic training (circa 1981) However he did enjoy himself and glad he did it. He only did one stint as he missed Canada. He had one US parent. From my reading the current USMC is very switched on, keep in mind that by the time you have completed your basic training and are attached to a unit, there will be a high likelyhood that you would be fighting beside Canadians in Afghanistan. Although it is also possible that you may spend a good chunk of you stint at sea guarding parts of the ship. The US military does have excellent education program and I advise you ask about what benefits are attached and can he still qualify for them after his contract is finished and he moves back to Canada. He might also be able to transfer to the CF afterwards if he desires.

SolitaryRunner said:
However in Iraq it was just Americans.

Welcome to the site, you'll have lots of fun on here.

During my time In Iraq (based out of Camp Al Tahweed, Union III in Karhk (hope I spelled that right), we worked along side US and UK forces, and I observed many others. Some were the former Soviet state of Gerogia, South Korea, El Salvador, some other European countries, and of course Australia. Lots of Allies sharing the pain, but of course the US was in large numbers.

I will agree it was a long way from the wheatfields of southern Sakatchewan where I grew up.

Have a good day,

Serenity now,

OWDU

Well done you.

Be prepared to be successful.

Be prepared to fail.

Have fun!

D&B

Thanks, Steve.
  This is not what I was looking hear. Although, I probably knew the outcome. I'm stubborn at times when I have my mind set on something. When I tried to join the USMC , and I had the same response. If not more problems because of NO American relations. I think I needed to hear this from you, because I hear ed of so many rumors that it could be done. I googled time to time to see if there any changes in joining. That's when I saw a link to one of PJ's old posts. I thought, maybe, just maybe.... I took the chance on writing on a Canadian blog about joining the UMSC. Duh........... However, while rubbing some other solider the wrong way (ie, OWDU. sorry man!). I discovered something that may bring me, the adventure that I'm looking for. Something "outside of the box" as I stated earlier. Ironically, It was OWDU. That made the suggestion that I try the Australian Defence Force. Now the wheels are turning! gentlemen, Something I now felt for some time! I Thank you all that posted, and all your help. I'm just glad that I posted. Even though I may of stepped on some parade boots (joking). It looks like, I will be standing tall as a career solder in our Commonwealth nations.

Again, thanks to all, with respect to OWDU.

WW.

If you are serious about joining the USMC, apply for your I-551 - which is your green card/temp citizenship. From there, you may apply to their armed forces.

As far as I am aware, there is no existing bi-lateral agreement between the US and Canada for entry plans of citizens from either nation to enter into the respected nation's armed forces, mainly due to a legal/government standpoint - it is unethical (patriotism & loyalty). So if you are dead serious and have really researched this, you would know that an i-551 is your only "chance".

Good luck,

Edit: Typo - Grammar

I completely agree with you Steve99. Submitting your I-551 paper work will not gaurentee anything, but it is the only "chance" that one has to become an US citizen in order to pursue the USMC. (unless if they fall under other protective immigration acts, which is not the case in this instance for Woody - and thats a whole other chapter ;) )

We simply do not know the facts or details surronding Woody's circumstances, so I wouldn't want to offer any "policy" advice. An immigration lawyer knows best ;)

Woody, would you mind to share the details in pretaining to how future endeavour'ers may look at the ADF as an alternative?

Take care,

I was searching the internet for information about Canadians enlisting in the USMC and came across this discussion.  My son graduated from basic training at Parris Island SC on July 25.  He has lived his entire 21 years in Canada.  He was successful enlisting, but the key here was his status as a dual citizen.  That made it very easy for the recruiter.  He was told a Canadian could enlist but he would first have to establish residency in the US and I am sure that would be the biggest hurdle.  In fact his recruiter in southern Louisiana was a citizen of South Africa with one parent a US citizen.  However, my wife is a US citizen and when all three of our children were born she made a point of registering their birth at the US embassy in TO, thereby attaining US citizenship for them.  Along with that they also have a Social Security number.  In our sons graduating company of over 300 there was also another Canadian and an Australian and both of these were also dual citizens with one parent a US citizen.  I assume to establish legal residency in the US would basically be the same as getting the green card and that could be very challenging.

As a side note our son, in his graduating company, was selected as the Honor Graduate as well as receiving the High Shooter award for his marksmanship training, and the Ironman Award for the most physically fit graduate.  Bascially he swept all of the awards that were given during the graduation.  His Senior Drill Instructor told him that he has not seen one graduate sweep all of the awards like that.  And it was pretty cool to see his name in the program with his residency as "Ontario Canada".  His intention now is to finish his last year of college for his BS degree and then attend USMC OCS (Officer Candidate School) in Quantico VA.  As an officer he will not be able to keep dual citizenship and will have to renounce his Canadian citizenship,which for me was the only downside for this whole process.

I can understand the desire for some Canadians to want to be a US Marine.  Almost all of the basic training is based around instilling the USMC culture in their heads.  I don't believe any of the other US armed forces approach their training in this way.  I saw a sticker that read "for a US Marine there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance".

WOODYWOOD said:
Thanks, Steve.
  This is not what I was looking hear. Although, I probably knew the outcome. I'm stubborn at times when I have my mind set on something. When I tried to join the USMC , and I had the same response. If not more problems because of NO American relations. I think I needed to hear this from you, because I hear ed of so many rumors that it could be done. I googled time to time to see if there any changes in joining. That's when I saw a link to one of PJ's old posts. I thought, maybe, just maybe.... I took the chance on writing on a Canadian blog about joining the UMSC. Duh........... However, while rubbing some other solider the wrong way (ie, OWDU. sorry man!). I discovered something that may bring me, the adventure that I'm looking for. Something "outside of the box" as I stated earlier. Ironically, It was OWDU. That made the suggestion that I try the Australian Defence Force. Now the wheels are turning! gentlemen, Something I now felt for some time! I Thank you all that posted, and all your help. I'm just glad that I posted. Even though I may of stepped on some parade boots (joking). It looks like, I will be standing tall as a career solder in our Commonwealth nations.

Again, thanks to all, with respect to OWDU.

WW.

thought i'd add my 2 cents in this having done the reverse to what your trying to do.  Firstly your biggest issue will probably be citizenship, from memory and reading through a large amount of info i believe the minium time to get citizenship is 3 years (i also believe they have introduced a test now which they didn't have prior something like the canadian citizenship exam). there is also medicals and other stuff done to even obtain landed immigrant status prior and even then you will need some form of support there to assist you until you get on your feet.

here is a link for overseas applicants
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentCentre/overseasApplicants/

FAQ's for overseas applicants
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentCentre/faq/OverseasApplicants/

just to highlight one part of this which i guess is always open when you contact a recruiter there. keep in mind that is for people with no military experience

Non Australian Citizen or Non Permanent Resident without Military Experience
Currently there is no avenue of entry available for you to apply to join the Australian Defence Force. Further information in relation to applying for permanent residency can be found by accessing the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship website

you will also have to undergo the following, criminal background check, i'd actually get this done before you get there due to delays in post and such. proof of schooling to compare to the Australian school system as it differes greatly from canada. also if you do have previous military service you will need all your qualifications which you can hand off to the ADF for a RPL assessment, again not an easy task i'm still undergoing mine from australia to canada and has taken well over 1 year.  Hope this doesn't burst your bubble too much but it's a difficult thing to do believe me, I joined the ADF then transfered to the CF and it was much easier to join the military of the country that i lived in rather then hop over the place to re-establish myself in another country.

if you are really interested in the ADF or the USMC best of luck to you and if you want it you'll make it happen somehow

USMCCDNdad said:
As a side note our son, in his graduating company, was selected as the Honor Graduate as well as receiving the High Shooter award for his marksmanship training, and the Ironman Award for the most physically fit graduate.  Bascially he swept all of the awards that were given during the graduation.  His Senior Drill Instructor told him that he has not seen one graduate sweep all of the awards like that.  And it was pretty cool to see his name in the program with his residency as "Ontario Canada".  His intention now is to finish his last year of college for his BS degree and then attend USMC OCS (Officer Candidate School) in Quantico VA.   As an officer he will not be able to keep dual citizenship and will have to renounce his Canadian citizenship,which for me was the only downside for this whole process.

I can understand the desire for some Canadians to want to be a US Marine.   Almost all of the basic training is based around instilling the USMC culture in their heads.   I don't believe any of the other US armed forces approach their training in this way.  I saw a sticker that read "for a US Marine there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance".

Wow. Congratulations to you and your new Canuck-Marine. You must be very proud to have seen him top a world class organization's selection program.

The only way to do a lateral transfer to the ADF right now is if you are a Sgt.

Back