• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major Site Upgrade

Flavus101 said:
We all appreciate the work! 

We can all show our appreciation for the work!  :)
https://army.ca/subscribe/

For what it's worth, I am using Fedora Linux with Firefox and have had no problems.

Mike

Please confirm that the slow responses I am experiencing with this site are a result of your heroic efforts and not the result of government agencies reacting to subversive activities on the part of Milnews.ca.

You know what I'm talking about Tony.

Hahah, I confirm nothing. :)

Except that I have been making changes and the slowness is likely part of that. (Should be less and less as I make more fixes).

Sorry for the long day without green (and blue, etc.), the server was rebuilt from a new OS install, which took some time.

With this, I can *guarantee* some problems, please report them here. Hopefully they will be easier to fix than under the last server.

It's a bit slow, and I got one "Server too busy, please try again in a few minutes..." message when I tried to navigate to a new topic abut 10 minutes ago.

Thanks for all you do for us, Mike.  :salute:

Extremely sluggish.

As stated, however, thank you for all you do in order to keep this site up and running!

:salute:

Extremely slow and error codes when trying to browse today, barely able to make this post, takes 30-45 seconds to load a page...

Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
Extremely slow and error codes when trying to browse today, barely able to make this post, takes 30-45 seconds to load a page...

Abdullah

Attachments

• slow.jpg
    slow.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 382
Still very slow at 0615 Hrs (EST), but thanks again for all you're doing for us Mike  :salute:  ... your wife is a saint!

E.R. Campbell said:
Still very slow at 0615 Hrs (EST), but thanks again for all you're doing for us Mike  :salute:  ... your wife is a saint!

And then there's the putting up with the army.ca thing.  Oh wait,......is that wh,....umm,...never mind, carry on Mike. ;D

The connection will often time out.  It will then put up a blank page saying that "army.ca failed to load" or some such message.

Actually, it says:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Like Techno, I too am having issues:

army.ca took too long to respond.
Try:
Checking the connection
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Using CHROME 55.0.2883.75 m and Windows 10 ver 1607 OS Build 14393.447

I have just found out I could not log in or even access the page with Internet Explorer. Instant on with Google Chrome....

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
Larry

NFLD Sapper said:
Like Techno, I too am having issues:

army.ca took too long to respond.
Try:
Checking the connection
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Using CHROME 55.0.2883.75 m and Windows 10 ver 1607 OS Build 14393.447

Same here intermittently for about a week now right up to the last few minutes. Problems both logging in to the site and changing pages within the site. Also running Windows 10 ver 1607 OS Build 14393.447 with Chrome Version 55.0.2883.75 m. Tried it on Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 with same problems.

:subbies:

Still, at 0530 Hrs, the same as the other are reporting ...

+ First, not connection at all, then intermittent and slow response; and

+ Using OSX Sierra and Chrome, both up to date.

But this is a report, not a complaint ... we all thank you, Mike, for all you do for us.  :salute: and  :subbies:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-12-08 12.50.28.png
    Screenshot 2016-12-08 12.50.28.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 377
Folks,

Sorry about the roller coaster ride over the last week or so. Some of it was just poor server performance, and other times it was me tinkering. Unfortunately new ground for me (and apparently, the entire technical expertise of the Internet!) so there was a lot of trial and error, often going backwards before making small progress forward.

As of this moment, the last set of changes made seem to be positive. Performance is where it used to be, and the server is not kicking out errors. (At some points, it was throwing hundreds of error messages a second. There was some Machiavellian comedy that occurred when - on top of everything else I was fighting - the server disk ran out of space due to the torrent of error messages.)

I like to jinx myself, so I'm going to call this 'fixed' at the moment. Please report any issues and I will tackle them as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your patience, I realize how frustrating it is when things aren't working!

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:
Please report any issues and I will tackle them as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your patience, I realize how frustrating it is when things aren't working!
If you have time now that this is 'fixed' could you have a look at my Brigade HQ; it's really not working well -- you have no idea the frustration level.
    :pop:

Echoing ERC's post, many thanks; the site is addictive.  :nod:

Back