• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lost in Afghanistan, Ott, Citizen Opinion Article

kilekaldar

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's the link to it. http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/opinion/story.html?id=cc5a2273-90bb-4918-8d49-bd3f567b9a7d
Any reactions to this?

Lost in Afghanistan
As Canada prepares to move its forces to the troubled Kandahar region, it must consider whether it's making an impact on the war-torn nation

Colin Kenny
Citizen Special
Friday, June 10, 2005

Canada's military presence in Afghanistan is based on sound premises. Unfortunately, that doesn't automatically mean what our troops are doing there -- and will do there -- will have much of an effect on Afghanistan's future, or the future of the world.

The original invasion of Afghanistan was a response to the al-Qaeda-led attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the fanatical Taliban, a cruel and despotic regime providing al-Qaeda sanctuary. Afghanistan was a hotbed for terrorist training, and Canada's commitment to fighting terrorism made our participation a no-brainer.

Threats to the security of Canadians are best fought as far away from Canada's borders as possible. Afghanistan represents a case study of trying to eradicate a threat before it arrives on our doorstep.

There are 700 Canadian troops in Kabul, the now relatively peaceful capital, down from the 2,000 that participated in the first rotation of Canada's NATO mission, and fewer than the 1,250 that will be in more-volatile Kandahar by February (250 will move in August).

This is our largest overseas deployment by far right now. If we are going to be there, we should be performing as effectively as possible. Are we? Will we? Is there really any chance of being effective, of transforming this society into anything resembling a peaceful democracy?

I visited Kabul recently as part of an attempt by the Senate committee on national security and defence to get a handle on some of these questions.

We spent $115.9 million on in-theatre operations in Afghanistan last fiscal year. Because Canada is moving on to a new mission, one might argue that there is no point in dwelling on how well it has fulfilled its latest one. But given the commitment of scarce Canadian resources, Canadians should be assured that we will be getting bang for our buck as we move forward.

The current commitment clearly has more tail than teeth. Because of the need to maintain our base at Camp Julien, provide security for it, and man a rapid-reaction force for NATO's personnel across Kabul, we get a limited product for our 700-person deployment.

The main components of that are: a reconnaissance squadron supporting a nearby German Provincial Reconstruction Team; a group of 14 personnel evaluating British, American and French efforts to train the Afghan Army; and some intelligence gathering.

That isn't much for such a large commitment of money and people, especially when there is little to no interaction with the local population.

One would have thought that Kabul would have been the ideal place for Canadian troops to maximize their interaction with Afghans -- to take the helmets off from time to time and try to humanize the NATO mission and earn some genuine respect and admiration from the locals.

It's not for a politician to say where and when this kind of interchange is possible -- that's up to local commanders. However, it is important. And if it isn't possible in Kabul, it is extremely doubtful it is going to be possible in Kandahar, where the Taliban remains an elusive and powerful presence.

What we saw in Kabul in terms of winning hearts and minds wasn't encouraging. We saw Canadian soldiers accelerating through the streets inside their armoured vehicles, decked out in helmets, sunglasses and scarves to protect them from the incessant dust, machine guns swivelling at the ready.

Maybe that was just a snapshot. Maybe there has been plenty of interchange in recent months and we just didn't see any of it or hear about any of it. Let's hope.

But the "Triple D" concept -- combining defence with diplomacy and development -- is supposed to be at the core of Canada's approach to reconstructing failed post-Cold War states, yet there appeared to be little connection between Canada's military presence in Kabul and its diplomatic presence: the Canadian Embassy.

So, is Canada likely to mount a more meaningful contribution toward the rebuilding of Afghanistan when new troops move into Kandahar in August? Gen. Rick Hillier, newly appointed chief of defence staff, testified before our committee on May 30, and suggested, for a start, the force going to Kandahar would focus more on the product.

"I am a little concerned about the ratio of the number of people required to support versus the number of people who operate ... we have to be more ruthless ... if we put 200 men and women in uniform, having another 500-plus contractors to support that in-theatre is something that draws my attention right away."

Everything has to go right in Kandahar. It is a far more dangerous place than Kabul. Even when U.S. forces have scored successes in knocking out large cadres of Taliban fighters, reports indicate that these are quickly replenished by new fighters from Pakistan.

Kandahar will present the increased likelihood of combat, and Canadian fatalities. That is inevitably what you get when you intervene anywhere the bad guys are still a force, and the Taliban is surely still a force in Afghanistan. For the most part, their fighters prefer to engage, retreat to the mountains and wait for the right moment to engage again.

This raises two questions. The first is whether the Canadian government is ready for the risks that will come with the move to Kandahar. It had better be, and it had better ensure the troops are as well supported as they can be.

Second, is there any hope of making a difference?

There is not just a fierceness to the Taliban and their fellow travellers. There is an incredible patience. This patience sustained the relentless opposition to the Soviet occupation of the 1980s. These people exhausted the mighty Soviet military and drained the Soviet economy before Moscow finally acknowledged defeat.

If Afghanistan is going to change, it's going to take a very, very long time. One major I talked to called it a "five-generational project."

The men in the mountains will be there five generations from now. I can't think of anyone I know who wants a Canadian presence in Afghanistan five generations from now. So how long will it take to accomplish ... what?

Christopher Alexander, Canada's ambassador in Kabul, calls Afghanistan one of the great causes of the 21st century. He says the end game will depend on the three Ps -- Pakistan, poppies and the private sector.

Can the West get Pakistan to stop playing host to Muslim extremists training young zealots for war? Can infusions of economic aid help boost the average Afghan income above $1,000 a year, which some very optimistic people contend would undermine the warlords who run the lucrative opium trade? Will international investors shrug off the dangers of Afghanistan and help rescue its stagnant economy?

Perhaps all these things will happen eventually. Then again, perhaps just getting near the poppy fields causes pipe dreams.

There are good reasons for Canada's being in Afghanistan. But as we approach the next stage of our mission there -- one that may well involve body bags -- one has to wonder whether the cost is going be worth the gain.

Is there any strategy in place that will get us where we want to go? I wish I had a good answer to that. So far I haven't seen one.

Colin Kenny is chair of the Senate committee on national security and defence. He can be reached by e-mail at kennyco@sen.parl.gc.ca

[Taking DEEP breath.]

WHO the fuck does this think he is - has he been to Afghanistan outside Kabul, has he talked to anyone serving there or who has served their?  We had a very limited role in Kabul - especially in Roto2 and beyond when we lost our operating sectors.  He seems to think we should stay in camp and handout Ice Cream  ::)

Kandahar on the other hand gives the mission a focus - something we as Canadian soldiers need.  If he polled the troops slated to go to Kandahar - he woudl notice that they are eagre to go and make a valuable contribution to the secuirty of Afghanistan, and the trickle down of greater stability world thus Canadian stability.

KevinB said:
[Taking DEEP breath.]

WHO the fuck does this think he is - has he been to Afghanistan outside Kabul, has he talked to anyone serving there or who has served their?   We had a very limited role in Kabul - especially in Roto2 and beyond when we lost our operating sectors.   He seems to think we should stay in camp and handout Ice Cream   ::)

Kandahar on the other hand gives the mission a focus - something we as Canadian soldiers need.   If he polled the troops slated to go to Kandahar - he woudl notice that they are eagre to go and make a valuable contribution to the secuirty of Afghanistan, and the trickle down of greater stability world thus Canadian stability.

Hey Brother

Chances are that this monkey was sent with an agenda...Anyone can wear blinders if told to by higher... :P

No evidence of this, just my humble opinion...

Slim

Let's face it,

Canada is not in Afghanistan to make it a better place. We are there so we dont have to contribute to the war against terror in Iraq.

Our commitments are in high profile areas, and we place an emphasis on force protection, over any operational requirement to "make Afghanistan a better place". Because of this, you can be certain that if casualties are taken in a big way, our presence there will be "re -evaluated" and probably cancelled.

If we wanted to help the afghans, we would be patrolling their borders for them and simultaneously seeking out the enemy in concert with the US. Not attempting to rebuild one or two villages and making targets ourselves in the process.

Thoughts?

Actually, he did talk to the group I am working with...as mentioned breifly in his article as one of two groups who are actually out doing something which will actually make a difference.

And yes, its all part of his agenda...I also believe decreased SPo2 levels might have something to do with his viewpoint.

Nice to see he is back in Canada, and feeling well enough to review his aides writing before putting his name on it.

Senator Kenny said: â ? What we saw in Kabul in terms of winning hearts and minds wasn't encouraging. We saw Canadian soldiers accelerating through the streets inside their armoured vehicles, decked out in helmets, sunglasses and scarves to protect them from the incessant dust, machine guns swivelling at the ready. ...  But the "Triple D" concept -- combining defence with diplomacy and development -- is supposed to be at the core of Canada's approach to reconstructing failed post-Cold War states, yet there appeared to be little connection between Canada's military presence in Kabul and its diplomatic presence: the Canadian Embassy. ... Kandahar will present the increased likelihood of combat, and Canadian fatalities. That is inevitably what you get when you intervene anywhere the bad guys are still a force, and the Taliban is surely still a force in Afghanistan. ... There are good reasons for Canada's being in Afghanistan. But as we approach the next stage of our mission there -- one that may well involve body bags -- one has to wonder whether the cost is going be worth the gain.â ?

Those who follow my ramblings in the Military News and Politics fora will know that I support the 3D (Diplomacy, Defence and Development) model.  But a key point, which Sen. Kenny and too many others miss is that these are three distinct and separate (albeit overlapping) Ds.

The confusion in too many minds results, in some small part, from the fact that Canadian soldiers are, very often, and when the tactical situation allows, fine diplomats and efficient and effective development aid providers, too.  I suppose almost everyone here on army.ca understand the impulses that drive Canadian soldiers to help less fortunate people and so on â “ when they can.

Sen. Kenny seems to have confused the real business of soldiering with the spare time, informal diplomacy and development which so many Canadians soldiers do so well.

Within the 3D model the first duty of the soldiers is to make things safe for diplomacy and development to get started â “ this requires helmets and goggles and swivelling machine guns.  In the next the block (of the Three Block War) we may find soldiers with helmets still on, protecting the development workers; in the third block we may find soldiers with helmets off, doing that good old fashioned informal, spare time diplomacy/development for which Canadian soldiers are well recognized.  When we have soldiers in the third block it is almost time to bring them home â “ they are great grass-roots diplomats but there are so few of them that we, Canada, cannot afford to leave them too long in situations where that role is possible.

If I understand the PRT concept, it is based on the 3D model.  You, tough, well disciplined, well trained professional soldiers, should be in your element doing it â “ in all three blocks.  We must remember, however, that the 1st block is your primary duty and it may consume all you time and efforts.

The three block and 3D concepts, as I (imperfectly) understand them, exist at all levels from strategic to sub-unit/tactical: at the strategic level we are trying to make Islam and Arabia/West Asia safe for some forms of diplomacy and development because, right now, they â “ Islam in general, and Arabia and West Asia in particular - are providing recruiting pools and safe havens for our declared enemies.  Strategically, we are defending our homelands by finding and defeating the enemy â “ and make no mistake we are dealing with a real enemy â “ on his home ground.  At the local, tactical level you are effectuating this strategy â “ when you work in all three blocks of the 'war.'  Only you can do the first block and you must do most of the second, too â “ aided by uniformed, armed Canadian police officers, etc.  When you are in the third block you have almost finished the mission, it may be almost time to go home or, more likely, to some other place where the 1st block is dominant.

Sen. Kenny seems to think that the 3rd block where the government wants you to operate because that is where Canadians, broadly, expect to see you.  He asks, perceptively, I think, â ?... whether the Canadian government is ready for the risks that will come with the move to Kandahar.â ?

Edward Campbell's post should be required reading for the Minister of National Defence and senior
military people like the CDS and Members of the Defence Committee, House of Commons. As far
as we know, Kenny is a political friend to the CF, but the preception that Ottawa based media have
an "agenda" is correct. Minister Graaham is considering using CF Afganhnistan for drug interdictions -
what is the reaction to this concept on the Army.ca site, please. MacLeod

Edward - excellent post -and I fully agree it should be a required read.

IMHO, much of what he has to say about Kandahar and our commitment there is true.  However, his credibility is blown out of the water by:

The main components of that are: a reconnaissance squadron supporting a nearby German Provincial Reconstruction Team; a group of 14 personnel evaluating British, American and French efforts to train the Afghan Army; and some intelligence gathering.

That isn't much for such a large commitment of money and people, especially when there is little to no interaction with the local population.

First of all, Recce Sqn is supporting KMNB, which is hardly a PRT.  There are no PRTs operating in Kabul Province at all.  This says something very dangerous to me about the Senator's visit:  he had absolutely no idea what he was looking at, despite his extensive background dealing with defence issues.  And if he thinks that there's little/no interaction with Afghans by the Sqn, he again shows his stupidity (yes, I'm using that word deliberately).  Senator Kenny has a decent record of supporting the CF - sometimes against his own party, but is off the mark here.

Drugs.  We don't want to get into this.  The Afghan drug program is led by the UK, who are taking a very sensible approach.  Unfortunately, the US was (a couple of months ago) pushing very hard for an eradication program, much like Columbia, and was willing to spend billions of dollars to do it.  Since many Afghans rely on poppy crops to make a living (probably having only a limited concept of what their harvest does to people in Western countries), there has to be an alternate provided to them.  The US approach will just p**s people off, creating more Taliban sympathizers.

Edward has very perceptively outlined the issues.  I know that Ottawa had difficulty getting the other government agencies to sign up to the PRT concept initially largely because there was concern that a PRT was "too military", largely because the military component of the PRT is there not for development reasons, but to protect those civilian agencies engaged in development/reconstruction work - in other words, Block 1 in Edward's description.  I believe that the Senator's confusion (being charitable) is the direct result of the false reality the Canadians have lulled themselves into over the role of the Canadian military - the happy blue "peacekeeper" that doesn't point machine guns at anyone.

Perhaps the deployment of the PRT and (more importantly) the follow-on force next year will help to alter that perception...  The public could be in for a helluva shock.

My 2 cents.

TR

Perhaps Edward should forward his comments on further to the Senator.  If not with his permission I will certainly do so.

Teddy what is the British way of dealing with the drug problem?

Ok, this may seem wierd or like a stupid question, but I'm rather confused.
Is Canada redeploying to Kandahar this August or next August('06)??? And does anyone know what we would be doing there?

Here's a thread that discusses a lot of the open source info regarding Canada's future plans in Afghanistan:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23553.0.html

You should be able to find the answer to your question there..

Whiskey_Dan said:
Ok, this may seem wierd or like a stupid question, but I'm rather confused.
Is Canada redeploying to Kandahar this August or next August('06)??? And does anyone know what we would be doing there?

Answering that would violate Opsec...  lets just smile and nod on that point

Trinity said:
Answering that would violate Opsec...   lets just smile and nod on that point

Not it won't as its all in open source...

The initial troops working the PRT will be in place this Aug. As for what it will be doing, I am no expert on, nor quite up on thier mission. But more info can be found here:

http://www.canada-afghanistan.gc.ca/menu-en.asp

Thanks for clearing things up, I've been wondering for so long cause of all these damned news reports. I don't know which one to trust anymore.
Knew I could get way more reliable info right here.
Cheers,
Dan

CFL said:
Perhaps Edward should forward his comments on further to the Senator.  If not with his permission I will certainly do so.

Teddy what is the British way of dealing with the drug problem?

I am willing, but I think I need some more inputs.

I have attached, below, a First DRAFT â “ it is in PDF format.  I merged some of Teddy Ruxpin's ideas with some of what I said.  It still needs more â “ from you people.

Let me know if you think I have made a useful start; let me know what you want added or deleted, too.

Mr. Campbell,

I heartilly encourage you to send your letter to the Senator, but also respectfully suggest that you send a retort in the form of an opinion article to the media, notably the Ottawa Citizen. In the past they have published reactions and counter-arguments to their articles, hopefully they will again. It's vital that we fight miss-information in the public forum, because the image of the CF in the media is by what the military will live or die. With a government more concerned with optics over substance, we need to make sure that members of the public who actually pay attention get a realistic picture or what's going on, which I'm afraid the Senator is not supplying, either through ignorance or some private agenda.

I've already sent this short letter to the paper, hopefully it's vague enough not to violate Opsec, but get the point accross(I'm not entirely clear on what I can say as a serving member)

Dear Ottawa Citizen,
In response to Senator Colin Kenny's article in Friday's June 10th the Ottawa Citizen, I would like to express my disappointment in his attitude towards the challenges ahead in Afghanistan, and the general tone of the last part of the article being 'this is going to be hard, why try?'. In response I'd like to point out one of the lessons I've learned so far in my short time in the military.
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, quick, or guaranteed of success. Simply because something appears time consuming and difficult is no reason to give up and go home.
Past the political posturing, the bottom line is that the Afghani people need help to reestablish security, and from that will flow peace and property. I firmly believe that this deserves some risk, some effort on our part. No doubt there is a continual learning process involved and changes to be made in the way we approach the challenge, but perseverance, not defeatism will be key.

Thank you.

A couple of quick points from me:

1.  The US counterdrug program was not off the ground when I was there.  Ms Rice was pushing hard for the eradication program and the US had assigned funds, but (as far as I know) nothing had really been done.  Eradication in a US context would have meant direct action against the poppy growers and a concerted effort against the distribution network.

2.  I am not an expert on what the UK was doing, although I worked very closely with the UK officer responsible for some CD work in Kabul.  The UK program was civilian and was aimed at shifting the economic base away from opium towards other crops.  In addition, they also managed programs aimed at strengthing Afghan CD assets, training police, drug detection (including dogs), customs improvements, instruction on search and seizure techniques, etc..  There were also some things I won't get into here.  Suffice it to say that you did not see heliborne British soldiers burning poppy fields.

3.  I have no comment on which approach would have been more successful, aside from a gut feel as I stated before.  One of the problems is that those involved in distribution are often community leaders, making prosecution of a successful campaign quite difficult.

Edward:  the letter's excellent.  A couple of suggestions.  First, a short letter is more likely to get published.  Second, I wouldn't get too far into comparing the UK and US approaches to CD issues, given that the above represents virtually my entire knowledge on this subject (I was concerned with other things while deployed).  If you like I can ask my UK buddy (currently at Indian staff college) for more detail...

Cheers,

Teddy

This is good.  Lets not delay too long in sending the senator your letter.  I agree that a shorter letter would be best for the paper but I see know reason why you can't go on longer in a personal email to the senator.  It may get answered quicker if you also include in the subject line something like "Concerned Soldier".

We will send a letter to Senator Colin Kenny, Senate of Canada, Defence and Security Committee
whom we know from his perspective on Canadian airports in the National Airport System. I will
point out to him however that I do not know enough about Canadian Army operations in
Afghanistan to submit an educated point of view, but will ask that he and his Committee pay
particular attention to letters from those who contribute to this site - Senator Kenny is a very
thoughtful member of our Government - I would say, without hesitation, that he will listen
carefully to ca. Forums members and contributors,points of view. MacLeod

Back