• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for new pack, any suggestions?

ColeWTaylor

Inactive
Reaction score
Summers just around the corner and it's time to start hiking/climbing again. I don't want something as big as a ruck, probably just an assault pack.

Necessities;
- MOLLE webbing
- room for a 3L bladder
- enough room for the necessities of a day hike
- kidney belt

Would prefer if I could get it in cadpat.

Thanks in advance!

ColeWTaylor said:
Would prefer if I could get it in cadpat.

Do whatever makes you happy, but if you're absolutely bent on buying somthing "tactical" for hiking, consider somthing in olive green or coyote brown if you're planning on wearing it in civis, you will (probably) feel foolish after a while if you buy somthing in cadpat.

If you also want it for wear in uniform in the long run, don't forget, if you haven't been issued one yet, depending on element/posting, you'll end up with a Cadpat small pack, and even if you don't (or you're me, and you hate the small pack because it rubs on your collar bone due to a shoulder injury) wearing a green or brown pack should be no problem.

The motherlode is looking pretty good. And thanks for tip in regards to the cadpat, really good point.

Someone in my unit recently let me have a look at their Eagle Ind. Airborne assault pack, it's a sweet rig. There's no MOLLE on the outside, but it has a ton of useful pouches already on it, and also it's a full clam-shell design which would be helpful if you go Med-Tech because you can bust it wide open and access everything easily. It's also a fair bit larger than the other eagle packs so it can store more shiny things, you can also rig a 522 radio to it on the inside.

Most guys I know rocking non-issue packs don't use CADPAT ones, save maybe the Drop Zone one. I'm a ranger green fan myself but coyote brown seems to be the "thing".  ;)

Something like this maybe:

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-fishing-camping-outdoors-PANTAC-Platapus-Assault-Pack-in-USMC-Coyote-Brown-W0QQAdIdZ354323761

Excuse the shameless plug!

How are field units with allowing their troops to wear Coyote Brown/Ranger Green gear in Canada on ex these days? I would assume a lot of guys still have stuff they grabbed for A'stan...saw a pic in another thread of a guy using a brown pack on ex in the arctic for example.  I realize it varies unit to unit but I'd be interested to know the "average" with regards to that these days.

As for civvy use, I'd say go for the Ranger Green or Black.

Spectrum said:
How are field units with allowing their troops to wear Coyote Brown/Ranger Green gear in Canada on ex these days? I would assume a lot of guys still have stuff they grabbed for A'stan...saw a pic in another thread of a guy using a brown pack on ex in the arctic for example.  I realize it varies unit to unit but I'd be interested to know the "average" with regards to that these days.

As for civvy use, I'd say go for the Ranger Green or Black.

The units I've been in have had no issues with me using a Coyote Brown pack, same with the  desert camo Motherlode I had overseas and Desert Camo BFM I've used on Ex and on my Ql5 a couple years ago.  Around Edmonton, Shilo, and Petawawa you'll see a number of guys with Coyote Brown, OD or Ranger Green packs.  I'm sure it would be the same with the other bases as well.

Also, I second what TN said, the Camelbak Motherlode would be good for what you want, and if you want something a bit larger you can go with the BFM.

Here in Gagetown, Coyote brown packs are all over the place.  They are usually the hip hugging belt, extra large teardrop style with molle sides and a mesh pocket on the pocket on the face.  You would never know we actually issue a Cadpat pack around here sometimes.

Back