• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking At Infantry

canadianblue

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking at going into the Infantry, possibly fulltime depending on whats happening with my post secondary as well as my reserve application. However I have a few questions regarding any possible move into the infantry.

As it stands right now I have contacts, and my visions is fairly poor. Would the infantry require me to have 20/20 vision, or would allow for laser eye surgery?

What level of physical fitness is desirable for a person going into the infantry, currently I can do 55 pushups, but after 40 start to slow down some, as well I can do 32 situps in a minute, and do a 2.4km run in about 9:30.

Any reccomendations for somebody at the age of 18 considering infantry?

Thanks for the help, as well I did a search and wasn't able to find the answers I was looking for.

:salute:

Poke around the Recruiting forum on this site. You're bound to get all the info you need. You've been on this site for awhile, I'm surprised you haven't found all that you need. Physically you sound like you'll pass the recruiting physical test without much trouble. Initial training in BMQ, SQ and MOC training will mold you into what you need to be so don't worry too much about your current physical status. Just maintain your current physical state or increase it which is always desired for any physical occupation. As for your eyesite your best bet is to talk to a Recruiter and provide them with relevant info like your prescription. Make a list of questions you want to ask them, I find that that helps. Also take more time in checking out what info Army.ca has, I found it to be extremely informative in my pursuit of a career in the Canadian Forces. Ofcourse you can't forget www.dnd.ca.

Dedication and desire. After you pass the basic fitness test, those are the only two things you need.

Good luck

Oh... wait... eye sight...

There is a minimum level of vision required for combat arms... talk to the recruiters, they'll fill you in.

Just a Sig Op said:
Oh... wait... eye sight...

There is a minimum level of vision required for combat arms... talk to the recruiters, they'll fill you in.

I think it's V3, I was originally qualified as V4, meaning no combat arms.  Went and got the surgery though, best investment I ever made.

But I'm 18, and the biggest thing that I'm afraid of is that the eye doctor will say surgery is unsafe at this time, or it won't help. I really want to get into the CF, and don't want to be waiting for a few years to get in.

Futuretrooper said:
But I'm 18, and the biggest thing that I'm afraid of is that the eye doctor will say surgery is unsafe at this time, or it won't help. I really want to get into the CF, and don't want to be waiting for a few years to get in.

Well you'd have to wait 6 months after the surgery anyway, but 18 is generally when your eyes stop any major changes so you should be good to go.  Best thing to do is go get a free consultation, most of the places do that.

I'm a V2 (I think? pretty sure I am, maybe 3 I can't remember for sure) and I'm in the infantry. I know a few guys who got the laser eye surgery, you'd be fine either way.
Greg

Thanks for the help, so then in my case it would probably be weekend BMQ for me as I would have to wait 6 months.

Back