• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Long stretches of Leave w/o Pay? (merged)

• Thread starter Thread starter sirux0r
  • Start date Start date
I think that if you get out to go backpacking you are rolling the dice when it comes to getting back in.  Besides the minimum one year waiting period to re-apply you, as previously mentioned, may have to complete a pre-security clearance that could take a year or more.  That might not even be initiate until they get your old docs that can take 6 months or more.

If what you really want to do is change occupations you can apply for an Occupational Transfer and that is available in the year you complete 48 months - which is when your contract ends.  We had one person who was able to extent his terms of service to see if he would be picked up by the selection board.  He had meaningful work during the period but in the end wasn't picked up - in fact his MOSID only lets out a few people a year and he was over the limit.  - this could happen to you as well if you are a hard navy trade that is short.

Voluntary Occupation Transfer Program (VOT) opens up about now runs to around Nov and they make therr selections by the March time-frame.

I agree with the one individual who said if you want to hike - hike when you are on leave.  Of note you lose some benefits if you have broken service but you would need to talk to releases about that.

Whatever you do decide - good luck.

Hi, I am thinking about joining the Canadian Forces but absolutely love travelling for extended periods of time. I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible to get leave without pay for 6 months or a year to pursue my travels, and if so, how do I do it? I just don't think 4 or 5 weeks a year will cut it for me and I don't think I could wait until retirement to be able to travel for over a month at a time again.

The short answer: no.

The long answer:

Chapter 8 of the CF Leave Policy Manual:

The purpose of Leave Without Pay (LWOP) is to allow Regular Force members the opportunity to remain in the CF during periods when no service is rendered. Except on enrolment, members must request LWOP. The reason for the LWOP must be in the interest of the CF.

It is unlikely that any competent approving authority would construe your desire to travel to be in the interest of the CF.

From the Leave Manual:

Personal Reasons Regular Force members
CO for up to 14 days;
OCC for up to 30 days, including the LWOP already granted by the CO; and
Applications in excess of 30 days staffed to DGRMC with a recommendation from the CO and OCC for approval by or under the authority of the CDS.

Keep in mind that CF service often involves travel as well - but perhaps not under the conditions you had in mind.

bridges said:
Keep in mind that CF service often involves travel as well - but perhaps not under the conditions you had in mind.
Like the tagline of some members here says, "I'm paid to travel - I just don't get to pick where."  ;D

I know for a fact that this thread has been done before...

recceguy said:
Within the last few months, IIRC.

I remember a similar discussion too.  This one, maybe?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107201.0.html

Keen4 said:
Hi, I am thinking about joining the Canadian Forces but absolutely love travelling for extended periods of time. I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible to get leave without pay for 6 months or a year to pursue my travels, and if so, how do I do it? I just don't think 4 or 5 weeks a year will cut it for me and I don't think I could wait until retirement to be able to travel for over a month at a time again.

Yes, it is possible. I personaly know one Captain who took 1 year LWOP to be a teacher (or something like that) on one of those "sail around the world" schools on a boat.

That being said, it doesn't just magicaly happen. The CF doesn't exists to give you time off - paid or otherwise. You occupy a position that is now going unfilled. The regulation as far as approval authoroty has already been posted here.

If traveling for extended periods is your priority, IMHO, please find employment somewhere else. I need people who show up for work (that takes them all over the world in the first place), not some guy who shows up, takes up a spot and then disapears on LWOP.

bridges said:
I remember a similar discussion too.  This one, maybe?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107201.0.html
Good catch - merge to follow....

milnews.ca said:
Like the tagline of some members here says, "I'm paid to travel - I just don't get to pick where."  ;D

Why thank you, I'll be collecting my royalties now ;)

Back