• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal's road ahead for the CF

Well Like some guys have said before. We have heard this from the Gov over and over again about giving more money to us. But it would be nice for once if they actually did.

:mg:              :fifty:

:cdn:

YAY, "NEW" Equipment, just like the "new" C130-H's right? All under 30 years old!
Think this new gear will arrive by the time I join up with the regs in a couple years? Sure hope so, it'd be nice to use gear the was younger, not older then me.
Let's hope politics doesn't get in the way this time.

Bograt said:
Sniff, sniff. Do any of you smell that? Smells like pre-electioneering to me. Either that, or I'm having a stroke.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  But wait, maybe it's true . . . the Liberals have finally opened their eyes to our defense needs. . . and maybe the gov't will start building Avro Arrows, buy some aircraft carriers and hire more personnel so the CF may actually have more members than the NYPD !  ;D

Personally, I find this wishlist to be pretty reasonable. Unlike the Mulroney White Paper, this wishlist isn't promising the moon. The Mulroney white paper had something like a half-dozen{don't quote me on the #} nuclear submarine in the offering.

If the Liberals were promising the moon, I think we could kiss the next white paper goodbye, like Mulroney did with his.
I applaud the government for making some reasonable choices, and setting a time table for CAPITAL expenditures. New equipment instead of extra, one-time only, money to keep the current stuff going. Let's hope these new expenditures will come through before I finish university{I'm a first year student, thank god finals are finished}.

From the Toronto Sun
Thu, December 23, 2004

Grits to share military plan

OPPOSITION TO HAVE ROLE TWEAKING DEFENCE BLUEPRINT IN FEBRUARY

By STEPHANIE RUBEC, OTTAWA BUREAU

DEFENCE MINISTER Bill Graham says his government will allow opposition MPs to tinker with the new military blueprint to be released in February. Almost three years after announcing a new defence and foreign review with great fanfare, the Liberal government is preparing to reveal its policy, which will set out federal priorities for years to come.

"The review will help the forces get a sense of what the government is saying," Graham said. "Then it will be clear what transformation will take place so they can do that role."

Graham said the blueprint will be made public in February, shortly before the federal budget. It will then be sent to committee where MPs will hash through it with the help of military experts.

Graham said he doesn't expect major changes from opposition MPs, and believes the policy paper will find support among academics and politicians alike.

"I hope that by now we will have refined a government paper that will largely find approval," he said. "There may be disagreement on details but there won't be, I don't think, disagreement on the general direction of where we're going. We'll want to make sure we've got it right."

Graham said he expects the new year to bring the realization of his government's commitment to hire 5,000 regular force soldiers and 3,000 reserves.

"I'll be looking at the budget to support us, to enable us to do that," Graham said.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has signalled his willingness to inject new money into the military to pay for his throne speech commitment.

Graham said he also wants the defence department to figure out how to compress the process of buying major equipment -- such as trucks for the military, replacements for the Hercules transport planes, and supply ships -- down from 16 years.

He said once the blueprint is public, his government will be more willing to move ahead with big buys.

Thats real nice Graham  believes that the paper will find support among "Academics and Politicians".  That kind of sentiment scares me, I would like it a whole lot better he believed that the paper would have the support of the top brass at DND (at minimum).  I as a ground pounder frankly don't give a rats @$$ if it has the support of some egg-head university prof or fat cat politician. As for the money commitments I will believe it when I see it.

Tougher, meaner breed of peacekeeper needed: Graham
MIKE BLANCHFIELD
Ottawa Citizen
(Printed in Edmonton Journal - 22 Dec 04)
OTTAWA

Canadians had better prepare for a meaner, tougher version of the stereo typical peacekeeper because almost all of the new 5,000 personnel for the Armed Forces will go towards army soldiers in the hope of doubling Canada's foreign fighting force, Defence Minister Bill Graham says.

â Å“The nature of peacekeeping itself has changed,â ? he said Tuesday in a year-end interview.   â Å“You have to fight your way in. You're going to have to go into a situation where you're going to have to fight to establish stability first and then you're going to have to bring democracy, and institution building and humanitarian aid.â ?   That characterization is squarely at odds with the kinder, gentler peace-keeper image that Prime Minister Paul Martin put forth last year when he promised the additional troops during the federal election campaign.

Canada will return to Kandahar next year and will likely work with the French on a provincial reconstruction team in Afghanistan's volatile south. Graham announced he would travel to Kabul next month to consult with Canadian soldiers stationed there as part of the NATO protection force for Afghanistan. As the Canadian Forces nears completion of its defence review, Graham said the new realities of fighting terrorism and other unconventional threats has rendered obsolete the familiar perception of Canadian peacekeepers â Å“patrolling a lineâ ? in less-threatening locales such as Cypress or the Suez.   Graham said he believes Canadians realize the world has changed and will accept more of their soldiers, in greater numbers, operating in harsher conditions on foreign soil.

He said he'd be ready to present his defence review to Parliament before the House of Commons reconvenes in early February.   The defence review is part of Martin's broader foreign policy review, which included his campaign promise of 5,000 additional full-time personnel for the Forces. At the time Martin predicted the new troops could be dedicated to a new peacekeeping brigade.
But Graham made clear the addition al troops â ” which he conceded would take years to recruit and train â ”would bolster existing units, such as the JTF2 elite special forces commandos.   â Å“We've got a good structure at the moment ... What we've got to do is give it more muscle,â ? Graham said. 'The vast majority would go towards the army, but not 100 per centâ ? The navy and air force would see limited personnel increases. Graham said the army currently has the capacity to sustain two groups of 1,200 troops abroad at any given time, in addition to another 800 to 1,000 support troops.   â Å“If we add the 5,000 we should be able to ... almost double that,â ? he said. â Å“So we could keep a substantial larger number of troops abroad for a sustained period of time.â ?

Canada has scaled back its record number of 4,000-plus foreign troops, including the 2,000 soldiers it had in Afghanistan until the end of last summer. Canada has 700 soldiers in Kabul as part of the NATO-led force. Graham would not say whether all the addition al troops would end up in Afghanistan. But the landlocked Central Asian country, whose former Taliban rulers hosted Al-Qaeda terrorists while they plotted the Sept 11 terrorist attacks, is now the focus of Canada's foreign military efforts for the foreseeable future. Graham met last week with Gen. Henri Bentegeat, the chief of the French defence staff, and the two agreed that it would make sense for Canada to team up with French forces in southern Afghanistan next year.

CanWest News Service

Canadians had better prepare for a meaner, tougher version of the stereo typical peacekeeper because almost all of the new 5,000 personnel for the Armed Forces will go towards army soldiers in the hope of doubling Canada's foreign fighting force, Defence Minister Bill Graham says.

â Å“The nature of peacekeeping itself has changed,â ? he said Tuesday in a year-end interview.  â Å“You have to fight your way in. You're going to have to go into a situation where you're going to have to fight to establish stability first and then you're going to have to bring democracy, and institution building and humanitarian aid.â ?  That characterization is squarely at odds with the kinder, gentler peace-keeper image that Prime Minister Paul Martin put forth last year when he promised the additional troops during the federal election campaign.

This is actually shocking stuff to hear from a Liberal like Graham. He might actually be getting the fact that you have to have soldiers first before you can have peacemakers/keepers.

Hatchet Man said:

â Å“The nature of peacekeeping itself has changed,â ? he said Tuesday in a year-end interview.   â Å“You have to fight your way in. You're going to have to go into a situation where you're going to have to fight to establish stability first and then you're going to have to bring democracy, and institution building and humanitarian aid.â ?   That characterization is squarely at odds with the kinder, gentler peace-keeper image that Prime Minister Paul Martin put forth last year when he promised the additional troops during the federal election campaign.

This is actually shocking stuff to hear from a Liberal like Graham. He might actually be getting the fact that you have to have soldiers first before you can have peacemakers/keepers.

I've heard that stuff being thrown around Ottawa since i got in in 93......i am not holding my breath ! Anybody remember the 1994 white paper  ?

Merry Christmas to all...and to Mr Graham "Show me the money!" :dontpanic:

Marauder said:
"The forces over the last few years have been stretched. We've had what they call a very heavy operational tempo. It's like driving a car too long without replacing the bearings. There are some bearings that need to be replaced," he said.

The next time Bill wants to use a car metaphor, he should ask his chauffer for a better one. I don't remember ever replacing any "bearings" on my Sunfire. (Although I did change a tire in the middle of Bon Echo park in the pouring rain at o'dark stupid this summer while driving back to Pet from leave at home.)

And now kids, we know why they are called "limosine liberals". "rolleyes"

Not be a dick, but its a simile

I don't doubt that the CF will be lucky if it sees a third of what the white paper is talking about. I just can't believe that the liberals would say something like that out loud! Must be Christmas smoke-blowing or some other type of election foolishness.

Be nice if it was true though. I mean it sounds like someone actually took the time to sit down and figure out what the CF needs.

I guess we'll see...

Cheers

Slim :salute: :cdn:

I was listening to the radio on the way home from work today and the high forehead from some prestigious university or other, who was doing the speaking, said that despite all the promises to the CF about new this and new that and the increase in manpower (5000 troopies) the armed forces shouldn't really expect anything signifigant for the next roughly 40 (40?...how they came up with that number I don't know but thats what he said) years or so. Apparently its just another method for the liberals to stay in office.

I am going to try and find a link to this program for all to see as the speaker said quite a bit more that I didn't include (good memory, just short)

Cheers

Slim

"so the CF may actually have more members than the NYPD !"

.....you do realize you just said the CF would be in the ten highest countries personal wise right??? funny

Get ready for a cabinet shuffle. Bill Graham will wind up in healthcare and that's the last we'll see of the defense proposal!

Slim

Kirkhill said:
Rumour, fact, or idle speculation?

Complete 100% home-grown idle speculation...Born out by past events and my own pessemism.

Don't get me wrong, I woujld love to see things get better. I just have a hard time believing it now.

Keeping the fingers crossed though...

Slim

Ok now I believe you and am seriously worried,

Cheers ;D

Slim said:
Get ready for a cabinet shuffle. Bill Graham will wind up in healthcare and that's the last we'll see of the defense proposal!

Slim

What did I say!!!

Prime Minister Appoints New Deputy Minister of National Defence
August 5, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Paul Martin today announced the appointment of Ward P.D. Elcock as Deputy Minister of National Defence.

Mr. Elcock is a seasoned executive with more than thirty years' experience in the Government of Canada, where he has held positions at the most senior levels.  Prior to becoming Director of the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service in 1994, a position he held for ten years, Mr. Elcock had served with the Privy Council Office, where he held during five years, the position of Deputy Clerk of the Privy Council (Security and Intelligence) and Counsel, one of the most senior positions in the organization. He also served as Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet (Legislation and House Planning/Counsel) for six years.  Mr. Elcock has a B.A. in Political Science from Carleton University and a LL.B. from the Osgoode Hall Law School (York University).

The Prime Minister took this opportunity to thank Hélène Gosselin, Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence, who acted as Deputy Minister since December 2003.

This appointment is effective immediately

Back