• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals lie about Gun Registry Costs and Army Recrutiting not working: AG rept

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060516/ag_report_060516/20060516?hub=TopStories

Liberals hid costs of gun registry, Fraser says
Updated Tue. May. 16 2006 2:58 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The former Liberal government went to great lengths to hide the true costs of the controversial gun registry, Auditor General Sheila Fraser said in a scathing report released Tuesday.

Though the decade-long expense of the controversial registry through the end of fiscal 2005 has been tallied at $946 million -- coming in below an earlier approximation of $1 billion -- government officials concealed the actual amount, Fraser said in her first report since the minority Conservatives came to power earlier this year.

"It is more than simply a disagreement between accountants," Fraser told a news conference, in reference to the 2004 decision that hid nearly $22 million in overspending by the Canadian Firearms Centre that year alone.

"We believe that decision did not respect the government's own policies nor the Financial Administration Act. So this is a serious matter."

In addition to the 137-page main chapter, Fraser issued a separate 25-page special report on the registry to detail the way senior bureaucrats buried the cost of the gun registry.

The report finds that nobody kept written records of key meetings.

Fraser also noted that government officials refused to give up their client-solicitor privilege on conversations over the legality of the accounting decisions, denying the auditor general from access to key information.

"These officials also stated that legal advice should not determine the correct accounting treatment," says the report.

The main gun registry chapter outlines how errors in the Canada Firearms Centre's first registration computer system were repeated during the second generation registration system.

The first system, which was estimated to cost $94.5 million, had been pegged at nearly $190 million by 2005.

An "ill-considered" decision to develop a second system, says the auditor, is now years behind schedule and is costing about $90 million in costs against an initial approximation of $32 million.

Fraser said that the Firearms Centre made inroads in tightening organization and reporting indirect costs.

But she added that the accuracy of registry information can't be confirmed and that the centre's performance reports fail to prove about how well the program is performing.

"It is critical that any program in government be able to show what they are accomplishing," said the auditor.

The Firearms Centre must "start to develop some of those performance measures and improve them over time."

Fraser's criticism came as Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day prepared to announce changes to the controversial gun registry.

CTV News has learned those changes will include an amnesty for rifle and shotgun owners, which would mean that only handguns and semi-automatic weapons will be placed on the list.

Fraser's report also outlined shortcomings in the management of First Nations, military recruitment and tax debt collection.

"Taken as a whole, the eight chapters of this year's report paint a picture of mixed progress," Fraser said, noting most of the troubled areas are longstanding.

Fraser's damning indictment of program administration under the former Liberal government is likely to provide fodder for partisan bickering in the House of Commons.

Other findings in the auditor general's report:

Canada's military is doing a poor job or recruiting and retaining new members, Fraser found. Despite the processing of some 20,000 applicants, a Canadian Forces recruiting program has produced only 700 trained soldiers since 2002.
The Canada Revenue Agency can't seem to work out who owes an accumulated total of $18 billion in undisputed back taxes still owing at the end of March 2005, nor how to collect on those tax debts. Fraser says the agency will have a hard time improving its debt-collection record without making significant changes to the way it operates.
The federal government has made "unsatisfactory progress" on recommendations aimed at helping natives, including failure to implement land agreements and examine patterns of drug deaths.
Ottawa too often entered into long-term leases for office space that ultimately cost more than if the buildings were to have been purchased.

Not much new here, I guess. Goes hand in hand with complaints about the recruiting system we've discussed on this board. Think things will finally change? Recruiting in our regiment went up 300 percent with the prospect of overseas employment made public - but the applications get bogged down at CFRC.

The only corrective action that is going to make long term progress is identify the people who made these decisions and apply the full force of law against them; termination of employment for unsatisfactory performance of duties, suspension or repayment of benefits improperly earned during this time period, and the ultimate sanction; jail time for defrauding the taxpayer.

No written records of key meeting? No problem; Obstruction of Justice.

Since people were clearly not following the "system", proposals to fix the system are beyond the point. Get rid of the offending people, give them unsatisfactory performance ratings in their letter of termination to prevent them from being hired by any other government agency or company that wishes to deal with the government and they can go flip burgers or drive cabs.

I'm not so sure the issue lies at the CFRC's themselves. It seems that a great number of questions fielded here are related to the time required for the security clearances required (enhanced reliability?) which are done by NIS (someone correct me if I am off here). How long does that usually take? I have no knowledge about how NIS is put together as a unit or how many positions they have dedicated to these clearances. I do know that a number of our training establishments are back logged, especially some of the tech schools that run lengthy courses. It takes time to finish a qualified soldier.

I would question the AG on just what a "trained soldier" is. Are we talking QL5, your 4's, what is the line that they are using? 700 troops in 4 years, across the CF, seems ridiculously low. CFSEME in Borden could (when I was there) pump out 100+ QL3's on top of 70+ QL5's and specialty courses per year. That's just one school.

No records? No paper? I love hearing things like that. I should try it.

"Sir, do you have an accounting of your financial activities for March 3-11, 2006?"

"Nope. Never did."

"Oh... okay then. So... wanna job in upper management?"

"Sure, if you cover my golf fees."

"Course, not coming outta my pocket. Welcome to the CFC."

The problem with recruiting is ultimately one about risk management.  Through the '80s and '90s (and probably longer than that), the tolerance for risk was reduced, which is one of the inevitable laws of bureaucracy.  The specific risk is to have an irregular enrollment- each one of these is costly, there's potential for legal entanglements - all in all, they're something that you want to avoid.

The problem is, once you're monitoring every application as if it has a potential to be irregular, you're making the enrollment process much more cumbersome than it needs to be.  When it takes a long, difficult effort to join, people naturally leave.

The other half of it is a training system that's so far backed up that there are people who do their entire initial engagement without getting trained (take a swing by Borden to see the result).

That said, I cannot believe that the ratio is 30:1 for applicants to trained soldiers... unless they're counting reserve applications and not counting trained reserve soldiers.  The only other explanation is that since there's almost a full year of initial training, that most of the applications came in the last year, and that bumper crop is only now coming off course.  Normally, I expect about a 9:1 ratio of applicant to trained soldiers- hardly good, but substantially better than is indicated in the report

Here's a better break down.  From the Star no less. ;)

A statistical sample of 13,500 applicants showed that 1,200 were found medically unfit, 1,600 were physically unfit, 950 failed because of drug use, 1,200 failed the aptitude and other screening tests and 3,800 others lost interest or backed out somewhere during the process. That left 4,750 actual recruits.

In the last four years, the military recruited 20,000 people, but was left with a net gain of only 700 trained, effective personnel. During those four years, 16,000 people left the military. Thousands of others are still in training, which can take from two to seven years.

13,500 Applicants
-1200 Medically Unfit
-1600 Physically Unfit
-1200 Failed Aptitude Tests
-950 Drug Use

=8,550 Potential Recruits
-3800 That Gave Up (Too Long in the system or found a better offer?) There's the lost opportunity.

=4750 Actual Recruits

Another way to look at it:

20,000 Actual Recruits since 2002 
- 16,000 Leavers (More lost opportunity?)
= Net gain of 700 effectives over 2002 levels.  More are in the system but in training and unavailable for service.  (An opportunity here by revising career progression?  Cbt Arms before getting Trades Training?)

It seems that a great number of questions fielded here are related to the time required for the security clearances required (enhanced reliability?) which are done by NIS (someone correct me if I am off here). How long does that usually take? I have no knowledge about how NIS is put together as a unit or how many positions they have dedicated to these clearances.

Okay you are off here and you don't know what you are talking about.  (snippy enough?)  The Criminal and Credit check portion of the Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) is done through DPM Sec 2 in Ottawa and this can take approx three to four business days if there are no issues.  When there are issues then the time required to complete the ERC is significantly lengthened.  The remainder of the ERC is done by the CFRC/D and this includes reference checks, educational checks and address checks and this in itself does not take very long.  A simple search would have prevented you from posting erroneous information.  I guess that is considered 'snippy'.

He did say correct me if I am wrong (which you have done).  No need to get snippy.

-1200 Medically Unfit
-1600 Physically Unfit

hmmm, are they saying that the 1200 that were 'medically unfit' were physically fit? 1600 physically unfit means what? Overweight? Underweight? Can't run 1.5 km?

I wish I could compare this to a sampling of 13500 recruits for WW2 and see what the statistics are.

I think this is a candidate for two separate topics because they deal with two different topics: Liberal book cooking (what the reports says anyways) and  military recruitment.

Liberals lie
Message Ends.

All politicians lie, give the Conservatives more time and they'll be the same, just like the others.

Dont know if this rumor is true but I heard that the CF is fast tracking Infantry.... Anybody heard anything?

Typical Media hyperbole. The books weren't cooked! They reported costs on differing fiscal years with the advice and consent of the Comptroller General. Sheila didn't like that - too bad... No one cooked any books, and all the monies were accounted for (from 2003 on, anyways)

Kirkhill said:
- 16,000 Leavers (More lost opportunity?)
= Net gain of 700 effectives over 2002 levels.  More are in the system but in training and unavailable for service.  (An opportunity here by revising career progression?  Cbt Arms before getting Trades Training?)

Mods, you may want to consider spitting the thread into two: a gun Registry/corruption and a Recruiting bashing.

The challenge within the recruiting world is not how many people are recruited, but rather how many members retire/leave the forces. IIRC we loose 5-6000 people a year as a result of retirement and other reasons. In the coming years (next3-5) the demographics are such that many qualified senior nco and junior and senior officers will also be eligible for retirement.

Also the recruiting process is different depending on trade. For some trades in high demand (ie infantry and combat engineer) the process is typically much faster than say MARS and PLT (who's boards meet periodically).

I don't know if Ottawa has outlined an acceptable period of time an application should progress through the recruiting process. Reference what I said earlier, I don't know if it would be possible. Based on what I know in a CFRC DET it can take about a month to three months to process an application. (We must fly in medical staff and PT staff), 6-8 weeks for the medical (for some trades), another period of time to wait for the boards and have an offer made. When an offer is made, a candidate may not start his course immediately. This is dependant on what is going on in St. Jean.

I can say that recruiting offices are working very hard to get people through. Last fiscal year, our small det exceeded our recruitment target by over 100. We are on track to exceed that  number this fiscal year.

Keep in mind as well that this is a volunteer military. Also we must ensure that we meet a minimum standard of quality for applicants.

As I said in another thread concerning the AG Report and recruiting, it appears we are now wrestling with the challenges created by the FRP and cuts of the past.

The othe consideration of people leaving the CF are the other agencies in the government that are hiring.  And with better pay.
The CF is gettin a 2.3% pay increase in Oct.  RCMP got 9.7%.

CSIS, RCMP, and a handful of other agncies are hiring tech positions.  Making their offers attractive compared to our month-to-month pay for those who have applied.  In some cases with the Security Clearances, that is where these agencies scoop these people up too.

Want to retain people in the regular force and reserve forces, you have to begin with better pay, and more attractive packages.

I think the AG was pointing out the the NET increase was only 700. That was allowing for the loss of personnel getting out. She's probably right that a new focus is needed, maybe some of the recruiting ads I saw on this site could be adapted to the CF.

As to the CF pay increase, I believe the RCMP was a 3 year contract, thus if the CF got 2.3% per year that's 6.9% over 3 years..not the same, but not that far out either.

As for the pay for the forces, taken in context as to what civilian life offers for the same jobset skills, they are not that poorly paid. There is a huge investment in training a person that is generally not available outside, unless you pay and do it yourself. The CF benefits rock compared to Non-government jobs.  Is the pay and benefits what you would like? Probably not, but that's mostly human nature, no matter what job we are in.

Back