• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal MP Wajid Khan defects to Conservatives

zipperhead_cop said:
But this guy didn't just jump ship for personal gain.  He was in a position of helping people that he is intimately knowledgeable on, then Cretin Jr. pulled the rug out from under him.  What was the burning need for that?  If anything, having an inside Liberal guy would have been a better strategy, rather than getting into a hissy fit.  The man was told to choose:  partisanism or service.  He chose service.  It is the Liberal parties own fault they are minus a seat. 

Agreed.  And again yes he will be helping service the country. Does Khan really have to be an MP to contribute in the scope of his expertise? Many people advise the PM without being in office.  Do we have to ignore the fact that the people who lose out are the constituents?  Honestly most people won't care because it doesen't affect them.  But their democratic process has been sullied.

Honestly I would rather have seen him step down and force a by-election.  There is no reason why he can't go on advising the PM win or lose.  

The democratic process was sullied when Mr. Dion went against the previous leader and said that Mr. Khan could no longer do his role of advisor....

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
The democratic process was sullied when Mr. Dion went against the previous leader and said that Mr. Khan could no longer do his role of advisor....

Ahhh, but Mr.Khan was appointed to that job not elected to it by the people of his riding.   Mr.Dion however was elected by his party and as such is carrying out its will as far as their policies as official opposition are concerned.

Don't get me wrong, at face value, Mr. Dion seems to be showing the autocratic tendencies of his previous leader.  A worrying thing and hopefully the PCP will capitalise on it when the next election rolls around (this fall maybe?).  One has to wonder what led to this.  We'll never really know.  I think it is easy to say Dion is playing King Cretin.  But was Khan getting too deep under the covers of the Conservative bed?  Was he alienating his former colleagues?

Anyway, my overall point is that it is too bad that democracy takes a hit when politics are played around with.  And floor crossing, for whatever reason does exactly that.

You better call Mr. Bobbit and let him know your "Directing Staff" icon is burned out.  ::)
I for one would love to see Recceguys quote in the paper.  That would be a riot, CF or not. 

cdnaviator said:
If i am not misstaken he has the support of his ridding association President in this course of action so i would not go that far.  Wish i had the link to where i read this but i'll look.

Is it really any wonder he left? When your Riding happens to have a Ridding Association President vice a Riding Association President, what the heck do the voters expect?

All righty then, now we can go back on track... ;D

The Librarian said:
Is it really any wonder he left? When your Riding happens to have a Ridding Association President vice a Riding Association President, what the heck do the voters expect?

I hate you  ;D

The Librarian said:

Booo-urns!  Boo-urns! :D

Are you guys done apologizing and saying how much you have moved on.........?

Ahem....gents...
off_topic.gif

Regards

1.  Any time a member of parliament switches their party it is an affront to all those in his constituency; including those who supported his appointment.    The PC riding association voted for a candidate and worked really hard to get THAT person elected.  They are done a disservice when people turn tail. Voters vote for members and parties; we all are chumps when people ‘cross the floor’.

2.  Riding associations are supposed to be independent of candidates.  However they can be hijacked by massive member sign ups.  If you have the money, and a loyal group of people, you can take control of a riding association.  Often associations are linked to candidates.  I was president of my riding association for a year and helped get my member elected.  It was fun and exciting, but really not for me.

DSB

I happen to be one of those voters who actually votes for who I think will best represent me and my interests, irrespective of their political stripe. So if my candidate does cross the floor? Well they are still the same person I voted for because I didn't vote for them because of which party they happened to belong to.

Could be Liberal, could be Conservative, perhaps even Independant.

Crantor said:
He ran on a liberal campaign, represented himself as being part of that party and was duly elected by a majority of voters. Democracy in action. By crossing the floor he has ignored his constituents wishes and, albeit minor in the big picture, has hurt the democratic process.

Two points here:

1) Did he actually run on a liberal party assigned platform, or did he run his own campaign with a liberal logo on the sign?

2) Canadians need to stop voting for parties and start voting for people.  This is why political scientists so often argue for coalition-style governments, and so often against two-party/major-party style democracies like the US (and to a lesser extent, Canada). 

Harper actually said it really well today (paraphrasing..) "I think Canadians understand that when we have differences and different objectives, we will work against each other.... What I don't think Canadians understand is when we both agree on something and we still refuse to work together just because [of party alliance]...."

Most people -do- vote for a party, rather than a local candidate, but in all reality, this is increasingly becoming a more moronic method as we go along.  The Liberals today are not the same party as 10 years ago (doesn't mean they are any better/worse) and the liberals during an election will be different than liberals in government and liberals after being in government for another 5 years, even with the same leader!  In fairness, the Cons are actually one of the few parties as of late that has done much of actually doing anything they bothered to run on - which is interesting given the true meaning of conservatism in political science...

cplcaldwell said:
Newmarket-Aurora is probably the stupidest riding in the country Her value is nil, in one of the fasted growing and dynamic ridings in the country, we got Barbie.

Agreed...

Next time can she make her face a little smaller on the signs?  ::)

How's Dion's Shatner impression?

kirk.jpg

KHAN! KHHHAAANNN!!!

Meridian said:
2) Canadians need to stop voting for parties and start voting for people.  This is why political scientists so often argue for coalition-style governments, and so often against two-party/major-party style democracies like the US (and to a lesser extent, Canada).
Here here!!

I think it's about time that Elections Canada took the party affiliation off of the ballot.
I know what you're going to say "mwewewewewe, but how will we know who we are voting for?"
THAT'S THE POINT!!! If you don't know who you're voting for [the individual's standpoint, personality, platform. etc.] then you shouldn't vote. Do your research, learn who the candidates are, party affiliation, etc. and then, when you get to the polling station, you aren't just blindly voting for a particular party, you'd have to do at least a little bit of research first. Either that, or have a requirement that you need to spell your candidate's name on the ballot card.

More of my fellow constituents voice their opinion:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/article/168753

It may be true that most people vote for party rather than person; but, in Canada, when you vote for the party you are also effectively casting a vote for the PM.  The power in the PMO spells that out.  That concentration of power is why I counter that some floor-crossing _strengthens_ democracy: the parties, and party leaders, should not take the MPs for granted as being not much more than proxies in the House.

The instructive point here is that in the case of neither Emerson nor Khan did Harper go on a shopping spree to acquire a vote to stave off impending non-confidence.  It's not hard to believe that the overriding concern has been to juggle the parliamentary arithmetic to ensure the NDP is a potential voting partner (whether the NDP appreciate it or not) in order, in the long term, to reduce chances of failing to pass a non-confidence vote.  However, I suspect that since the parliamentary arithmetic is known well beforehand it tends to dampen hot-headedness in the House.  Dion and Duceppe and Layton are each less likely to indulge in as much destructive and pointless brinksmanship if they know there are two rather than one (or no) alternatives for Harper to prop up his government.  That, if so, would be a good thing.  The government still has to make deals to survive, but over the long term it has to make deals with parties which represent all slices of the Canadian electorate.

Back