• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Letters of Reference

Get references from all 3 and use the 2 you like or think sound the best. The third one you can mention in your interview so as not to waste it.

can someone tell me how long a letter of reference is good for?   I tried doing a little search but came up dry. Also if I have a direct letter from my local member of paliament will that work or will it have to be the generic CF letter of reference form?

It is good for one year. I had to get mine redone because they expired. I am not sure if you *have* to have the form, but I suspect they will want it.

mine aren't one year old yet and the cfrc is saying that I need new ones to reapply....anyone shed light on this for me??

If you are going to 'reapply' do you mean you stopped your application and started a new one? That would make sense they want new ones done. Or perhaps they have a new reference form?

my file was closed in July because I turned down an offer.  I am reapplying and the cfat, medical etc just needs updating but she said my letters of reference expired does someone know for sure the timeline?

Good for one year but it is standard to ask for new ones after a file is closed.   Normally they don't have to be on the standardized form but they had better follow the format no matter who they are from.

standard to ask for new ones even though one is going to be from the same person?  As far as format for the other letter it states who he is, who I am, he has known me for most of my life.  He was a former coach in my minor hockey days, and now he knows me as a business owner in his riding.  As far as format what else would be needed?

We call them standardized letters of reference for a reason as they ask specific questions on areas that we would like the reference to comment on.  So you can either do what the CFRC/D asks or ........

I appreciate your info Kincanucks thank you.  I don't mean to sound like a smart a** here but if they are good for one year why would it be standard to ask for new ones?  I am not sure what I have done to you but I always sense friction in your replies.  I am sure duplicating the letter of reference from this past spring has some logical purpose I just can't see it.

Some people require detailed explanations of why they have to do something when it comes to recruiting.  While we certainly appreciate people don't like to accept something on face value it is very important to have set procedures in place in order that everyone is treated fairly and in a transparent manner.  Rest ensure that you have done nothing to me and if my responses seem fricticious (a word?) it is not done intentional as I have always been noted for my abrupt and officious manner.

Hey, I just thought this would be better then starting a new thread. I have both my reference sheets filled out. Now one of my references is my principal and he has known me for 3 years and the other is a old hockey coach and youth leader who has known me for the last 10 years. I just want to clarify that I only need one reference who has known me for 5 years or over because i am pretty sure that is what the recruiter told me. Thanks

Spazz said:
Hey, I just thought this would be better then starting a new thread. I have both my reference sheets filled out. Now one of my references is my principal and he has known me for 3 years and the other is a old hockey coach and youth leader who has known me for the last 10 years. I just want to clarify that I only need one reference who has known me for 5 years or over because i am pretty sure that is what the recruiter told me. Thanks

One of your letters must be able to provide at least five years coverage.

Hi,

It says on army.ca and on the army web site that a reference can be a friend but cannot be a relative.....  Is a girlfriend (not common law)considered a relative? Can she fill out a reference form?

Thanks

Frank

Standard Letter of Reference Form
http://www.army.dnd.ca/25Service_Battalion/images/letter_ref_e.pdf

Under the heading - "Describe your relationship with the applicant"

"He buys me drinks and takes me to movies" might be seen as not quite the type of relationship and reference basis that the CFRC is looking for. I would suggest a girlfriend isn't quite appropriate, but I am not a recruiter and you should check with your CFRC before following this route.

I searched and searched but couldn't find anything on this. I've applied for DEO Infantry, start testing next week and I'm supposed to bring in my 330-60E, but like so many University students I've moved so much in the last few years/worked and went to school non stop and never met any of my neighbours anyways.

So, do roomates or landlords count? In this case my current landlord lives downstairs, so he is technically a neighbour,but does the financial dealings issue negate him?

Neighbourhood reference is an individual who has known you for over six months preferably at your current address. If not, the individual has been a neighbour during the past five years.

Written right in the Instruction sheet.

Back