• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legendary Vandoos ‘do the job right'

Anyone old enough to remember a Cpl. and SMG ?

As I recall, the individual was a supply tech, posted to CFS Carp.

Old Sweat said:
Anyone old enough to remember a Cpl. and SMG ?  As I recall, the individual was a supply tech, posted to CFS Carp. 

I believe you are refering to Denis Lortie and the event was in 1984.  Or are you refering to Mark Lepine in 1989?

I was referring to Lortie. Did Lepine have any military service?

Cant say for sure, some sources he was a reservist, but others said he was rejected from the reserves.  Cant recall where I read this...was it on a thread here?  I tried a search but didnt see anything I recognized.

GreyMatter said:
Cant say for sure, some sources he was a reservist, but others said he was rejected from the reserves.  Cant recall where I read this...was it on a thread here?  I tried a search but didnt see anything I recognized.

I just did a quick google on him and a the first couple of hits all said he tried to join and was rejected.

Danjanou said:
I just did a quick google on him and a the first couple of hits all said he tried to join and was rejected. 

I saw those too, but dont have much faith in the ability of those sources to portray facts correctly. 

GreyMatter said:
I saw those too, but dont have much faith in the ability of those sources to portray facts correctly.   

Seen, however if he had any military connection at all I'm sure the anit gun lobby and others would have brought it up at the time. Where Brent Taylor leader of the Squamish Five/Direct Action received his weapons training comes to mind.

Danjanou said:

If my memory serves me correctly, Lepine had tried to join the military and was rejected. However, there was a military connection. Apparently, he received some firearms training from an uncle (cousin?) who was a member (former member?) of the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Like I said, my memory may be a little hazy, but this kind of sticks in my memory.

Old Sweat said:
Anyone old enough to remember a Cpl. and SMG ?

As I recall, the individual was a supply tech, posted to CFS Carp.

Correct, he worked at the Diefenbunker.  He was also a neighbour, lived a few doors down from me on Uplands at the time of the incident.  While I didn't know him well (a very private, quiet kind of guy) I don't believe that he had ever served with the VanDoo.

Im sure everyone has a story about a run-in with Vandoo soldiers, or Quebecois soldiers in general,

I take a little bit of offense to the last portion of that statement.
Ok, I won't lose any sleep over it though! But think about the ones how cares...I know quite a few.

And BTW, back on topic, the "legendary thing"...a legend is made of people talking about it ,isn't it? Don't give them more attention than the other soldier then BAM! Here the legend goes. I realize that it's coming from a journalist again DAMN IT! They are what they are, nothing to do about it.

The thing that really bugs me though is that now that the Vandoos are deploying to AFG, the french news channels are talking about it like "we are now in AFG!", JEEZ wake up medias! There are already a lot of fine soldiers that sacrificed their lives to that mission and a lot more that contributed to the mission.

I've heard a legend about a vandoo lav firing on a LDSH tank on live fire exercise, probably just a legend. And i can understand anyone who got a bad experience which X or Y regiment to hold a grudge, who could blame them.

SiG_22_Qc said:
I've heard a legend about a vandoo lav firing on a LDSH tank on live fire exercise, probably just a legend.

More like the "Mad Vandoo of Wainwright"........not a legend, but a rumour spread so often to sound like a legend.

3rd Herd said:
Our favourite military expert and reporter missed one in his report on the Van Doos. Anyone old enough to remember a Cpl. and SMG ?

Said Cpl was a supply guy that was stationed @ the Diefenbunker in Carp Ontario.
He took a wee bit of a drive to Quebec to do his dirty deed..... However, the Legislature's master at arms who faced and talked Cpl Lortie down from his rage was a former R22R officer.

And this guy stared down the barrel of an SMG

Well, given that I have worked around the "pesky beavers" pert much my entire career, I can safely say that 99% of them are good soldiers who do not need to take a back seat to any other fighting soldier.

geo said:
Said Cpl was a supply guy that was stationed @ the Diefenbunker in Carp Ontario.
He took a wee bit of a drive to Quebec to do his dirty deed..... However, the Legislature's master at arms who faced and talked Cpl Lortie down from his rage was a former R22R officer.

And this guy stared down the barrel of an SMG

I was in Ecuador when this happen and I went to the small embassy and was invited into the ambassadors office to watch the news film about it. A impressive performance by the Sergent at Arms.

heh.... (thus my description of him being "master" :))

Back