• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave ?

• Thread starter Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date Start date
M

maple_leaf_forever

Hey,

I was just wondering about how much Leave Canadian Forces members get each year ? I thought I had read some where that they get 15 days of paid leave per year. But I‘ve just recently read on the DND website that they get 20 days of paid a year ? have they increased it ? or whats the deal ?

any help appreciated.

thanks.

Regular:

A member is entitled to 20 days leave each year for the first five years; afterwhich they are entitled to 25 days. Note that these are working days (weekends don‘t count).

Recently, there has been talk of members with over 25 or 28 years of service receiving 30 days leave per year. Anyone know if its been approved.

Reserve:

Reservists are entitled to 2 days leave per 30 days of service (basically 24 days per year full time service).

The military is fairly generous in terms of time off and I don‘t think anyone can complain about leave and opportunities to "stand down".

Well that sounds decent.

One other thing... I also read that you cannot leave Canada while your on leave... is this correct ? and if so how are you ever supposed to have a hot tropical vacation?!!! lol

Thanks in advance.

... I also read that you cannot leave Canada while your on leave... is this correct ?
Not true at all. There are restrictions on going to certain listed countries (former Warsaw Pact, China, Iran, Iraq, etc). Carribean Islands are fine.

Sweet Deal!

Thanks Gunner, you‘ve been a big help :)

former Warsaw Pact
Could you clarify that, please?

I‘m assuming that means that you weren‘t allowed to go to Warsaw pact nations when it still existed, but now you can go to, say Poland, esp since they‘re joining NATO now...

Sorry, it just seemed to be worded a bit funny, since some countries (i.e. Kazakstan) are still often refered to as former soviet bloc countries... But then again maybe it‘s just me. :)

The whole idea of "listed countries" has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Basically, if you think the country might be suspect, talk to your Security Officer.
I visited Cuba a couple of years back and all I had to do was tell my Secur O, he pretty much said "OK".
Another unit member visited China a few years back too, same sort of thing, except I think the MPs wanted to talk to him before and after the trip.
Another consideration to take into account is your trade and access to secure information. If you‘re a low security risk, then nobody is going to have a problem with you going most places in the world. You just have to be careful when your Noggin is full of Top Secret info.
Hope that clarifies matters....

I guess as a private in the reserves, they won‘t be filling my "noggin with top secret info"

:)

There use to be a CFAO on travel (at least there was a couple of years back...late 80s?) but I didn‘t have an opportunity today to take a look at it to see if it was still relevant. Obviously some of our former foes are now are friends.

For security clearances you have to list countries that you have visited, why and for how long. I would be surprised if there was not restrictions on visiting certain countries, but perhaps only for certain people with high security clearances. I‘ll see what I can find out on the DIN.

I know this is a really old thread, but being that im CT'ing to Reg I was curious about whether or not time off for christmas was included in the 20 day mentioned earlier?

YoungQYR said:
I know this is a really old thread, but being that im CT'ing to Reg I was curious about whether or not time off for christmas was included in the 20 day mentioned earlier?

Yes.

And also no.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day are statutory holidays, above and beyond your annual leave entitlement.

In adition, you will generally receive two additioanl days, at Crhistmas or New Years, as "Special Leave", that again will not count against your annual leave.

Occam said:
He did say "generally"....

Yeah but some people read what they want to read and take "generally" as an entitlement.

Then again, some people on here would read "may" as "must".........

Actually, I think the Christmas/New Year's special is pretty much set in stone - it's the short leave that is optional.

Back