• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lancaster in Resolute

Aaahhh.... here it is:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=13

BASIC INFORMATION :
Designation: Centurion Olifant MK-5 MBT
Manufacturer: OMC Engineering
Service Date: 1950
Type: Main Battle Tank
Crew: 4

PERFORMANCE STATISTICS:
Powerplant: 1 x V-12 Rolls Royce Meteor 4B Diesel Engine with an Output of 750 hp.
Max Speed: 21.5 mph
Max Range: 60 miles

Our Plane will never fly due to too much structural corrosion in the main spar and many other systems. Another reason is that if you fly it, you can crash it. Our goal is something more like 500 years down the road to have a time capsule of intact surfaces, fasteners, plating types, etc. It is being put back together in "a deep sleep" with internal components coated in cosmolene or synthetic grease. WHen it was mounted on the plinth, they used a torch to cut out a big part of the main structure, and this is where the worst of the structural conrrosion started. We bought a section from another Lanc that had been on a gunnery range in Alberta (FM 118) that we are using to make patterns and recoupe componentry for our plane. We have a total of 5 Merlins for the plane. Our Merlins are missing their engine tags, therefore they can never be used on another  flight certified aircraft. The cylinders are too corroded as well due to being stored with no spark plugs.

Why do you not try contacting a aviation company.  Like um  Lancaster themself.  The only problem you might run into is that some parts might be controlled goods and you would have to be a approved buyer, if there are any authorized for no military use.  And how you become one, I have no idea, but the company might be any to help you out.  I know we just sold them a whole bunch of parts from the old T- Birds and Lab  helicopters, alot of Aircrafts parts are compatable with other Aircraft.  I found a Airspeed indicator once from a Avero Aero made 1954 and the computer system said it could be used on a Herc.

Hope that helps

My father was part of several aerial photo missions using Lancasters from 1950 to 1953 in the Canadian Arctic, and has a few photographs which he took in 1951 of the two Lancasters which crashed in 1950 at Resolute. You can contact me if you would like copies.

DEK, since this thread is five years old, and the original poster has not been active on the forum since then, you should try sending your message by PM; hopefully his e-mail is still a current address.

Back