• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kilts

NATO Boy said:
Tess

Do you know if they offer MacKenzie Tartan? Thought about getting a kilt made up for civie street (Fergus Highland Games, e.t.c.)

Check where they get their tartan's from.   Burnett's & Struth can get tartans from weavers such as Lochcarron who have just about every tartan there is, including my family's which is pretty rare.   I've got a 48th Highlander's (Davidson tartan) kilt kickin' around the house, though it's my dads.   It's a quality kilt, and it was made at Burnett's & Struth.

Michael Dorosh said:
Rest my case.

Use whatever makes you happy, guys, really.    ;)

Rest your case?  Unless you are being sarcastic, then you should have known it was the English language which was being referred to, not the country.

pronto said:
I'm Welsh, but my wife is Scottish - REAL scottish, and she buys me stuff from http://www.littlescotland.com/... Can be a little pricey, but the quality is very high.

I've actually been to that store a few times looking at chanters, which are a slightly more budget friendly way to express my heritage lol. THANK YOU ALL for the information and I'm going to be looking into each source. As for fit I prefer a higher set but If the difference is a few hundred dollars I can settle for less, even if it'll look more like a skirt then... I wore my cousins Reid tartan kilt to the multi cultural festival last year which has a similar fit and even at a MULTICULTURAL festival people thought it was a bloody skirt. Even a piper asked me why my kilt was so low, so maybe the few hundred is worth it eh.

Seamus449 said:
As for fit I prefer a higher set but If the difference is a few hundred dollars I can settle for less, even if it'll look more like a skirt then... I wore my cousins Reid tartan kilt to the multi cultural festival last year which has a similar fit and even at a MULTICULTURAL festival people thought it was a bloody skirt. Even a piper asked me why my kilt was so low, so maybe the few hundred is worth it eh.

Well....As the old SQMS would say:   "You'll grow into it!"    ;D

I guess I should have specified what I meant by too low, I meant the top of the kilt was too low, as in down around my hips rather than up around my waist. The leg length was fine, it stopped right above my knee caps, just enough to show off my skinny little English knees lol  :P

Seamus449 said:
I guess I should have specified what I meant by too low, I meant the top of the kilt was too low, as in down around my hips rather than up around my waist. The leg length was fine, it stopped right above my knee caps, just enough to show off my skinny little English knees lol   :P

Better to be showing your knees than to be showing what's above them with the kilt sitting around your ankles.  If you have one custom made, you can add belt loops which I've seen before.  You can also go with 13 oz over 16oz, but the latter is far more durable.

Back