• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Keeping in touch with the wife

Sentinel79

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm another applicant patiently anticipating April (Infantry) who has questions about BMQ.

For the married/in-a-relationship people, how to you keep in contact with home? I've seen the pay-phone (in basicup) and was wondering if there are other means of communication (email/text or wifi?).

I've tried to do my due diligence, but haven't found an forums answering this question.

Thanks to everyone for all the other forums that have answered pretty much all my other questions.

:yellow:

It will all depend on where you go for courses, but be prepared to use the phone alot, if you are allowed enough time.

I am leaving for Basic on Saturday. I am bringing my cell phone (which I can tether internet to my laptop)  and laptop (which has a webcam). That being said, I have been told, most likely, i wont see my cell phone and laptop until week 5... I will be allowed to use if permitted my instructors after 6pm and on weekends after week 4.

So really, I have no clue how much I will get to use them... Apparently it really depends from instructor to instructor...

There are a lot of threads about it under basic training sub-forum...

Prior to completion of your indoctrination phase, feel free to utilize the pay phones that are conveniently located. Might want to bring a calling card. Not that you'll really have that much time to sit around and chat anyways. They do a rather good job of keeping you busy during this period. After that, you will most likely to able to use your cell phone most of the time, especially on any weekends you might have free. Enjoy!

Same as any preparation for course training,  prepare for the worst hope for the best. During my basic course we were given instruction to surrender our cell phones on day one. They were returned on the weekends we were privileged enough to receive. Through the week in our evening periods we were permitted to use the pay phones located on our floor. The cannex sells prepaid phone cards, so you may wish to stock up as soon as you get there.

Your days are going to be very full, the amount of leisure / free time will be Nil to none. Do not forget about communication with home. Just keep it brief and to the point.

First of all, I agree with the above post that what you are requesting is a very good thing.  Far too many members leave their spouse in the dark, and it only results in problems in the long run.

If a soldier is single that's fine, but if a soldier is married it is much better to have full support from home, so any initiatives you have to keep that support are to be applauded.

To answer your question, the above responses so far generally cover it.  Here is a consolidated list:

1. Cell phone.  I would recommend it as you can usually use it unless you are in the field in a tactical environment.  Don't expect to be making calls every break, though.  Also, most carriers are okay with you changing your number for free if it is because of a military posting, so you're only getting charged for long distance instead of long distance + roaming (if you still have your old number).

2. Pay phones.  Most shacks have them, but expect line ups if you are doing the calling card thing.  A floor of 100 candidates may have two phones.

3. Wifi internet.  Don't count on it.  If you are semi-qualified and on some sort of year-long course where you are in enhanced accommodations (vice "shacks" with 4-32 per room) then you could potentially order it, but for most courses it's "no".

4. Army-provided internet.  Very base / course dependant.  Some buildings have computer labs where you can use Army computers, but not all websites are allowed (no hotmail, g-mail, etc).  This is not assured either, but if you get an Army e-mail account it would be possible to use on weekends that you have off.

The other points are valid that your evenings are more than likely going to be filled with things to do like ironing and studying, so if you are allowed a cell-phone that you can squeeze a call in for a few minutes, that option is better than waiting in line for a pay phone or going far away to write an e-mail

For the first 5 wks of indoc, if you want to communicate for more than 5 min, snail mail is the best option.  We had 60 members in the blue sector with 2 pay phones...most recruits aren't polite enough to limit phone calls so there are large wait times.  Usually after week 4 or 5 you'll get your electronics back.  A friend of mine and I went in on an internet stick as there is no wifi provided and the internet they provide in the break area for a fee is SO slow, that it's utterly pointless.  If you can you're webcam is your best friend.  But be prepared to have little to no contact the first 5 weeks.  You're labelling everything or shining or cleaning, and typically if staff feels you don't have enough work there are weekend inspections, drill practice extra PT anything to take up all of your time.  After that, they tend to slightly start treating you like humans.  But most of your time is taken during the course.

Great! Thanks for all the replies. After talking it over with recruiters and a few retired sappers, I figured out Combat Engineers is what I'm looking for. Changed my application and immediately got a call for my interview in a few weeks. Looks like I'll hopefully be putting this all into practice sooner than I thought.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Try to encourage "the wife" to get involved with a support group for families/spouses - either in person or on line.  The sooner she realizes that you being out of communication will be happening, and creates her support group, the better.  Her existing family and friends are wonderful, but the support of other people who "get it" is invalueable.  MFRC's are .... of varying use across the country.  Maybe you are lucky enough to be near a good one.  There are often Family Support Groups that operate at arms length from the MFRC, and other informal or on-line communities.

he's right, you cannot underestimate the support of mfrc. the sooner you let your loved ones know you are going away and may be without communication, the sooner she can set up a support network.

i was on the very first tour to the sandbox. we didn't have comms home for the first few weeks nor mail for the first couple of months. the mfrc in edmonton - as well as the rear party of the battalion - played such an integral role in my family support.

get a support network setup - either with the mfrc, friends, family (including the unit you belong to) as soon as possible. all the unit functions that happen before you leave, get your family to participate - even though you may not want to. these are more for your family than you. these forums may be a good idea as well. there are many "wife-network" forums on facebook as well. mine was part of the mfrc in edm while i was playing in the sand dunes.

hope this helps....

Back