• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

K9 Units

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
I don' t think we have any in the CF but is this a capability we should be lacking in this day and age of terrorism and WMD?

Hey Ex

I think the MP's have dog handlers. There used to be some in Trenton...Whether they are still there and have that capability I don't know.

Slim

The idea of K9 Units for the Eng. has been proposed for years for Mine Clearance,one of the excuses for not implementing the idea "it's too cruel on old Odie" and what ever other excuse's they can come up with.
Here in Vancouver there is a Center for training dog's for the N.G.O.'s involved  with Mine Clearance.
They get some of their dog's from the pound.
I would rather see the dog's used in this way instead of being put down at least they get some one who cares about them.

K9 Units are a good idea,work well and are cost effective.

Rumour has it, before my time there was a K9 unit at CFB Esquimalt, however, the dog didnt last long after it tore the living crap out of the detective office!!!!!!

LOL........................................STOP THAT!........besides, they didnt have Timbits back then!

No Timbit????? WTF what kind of military is it without any timbit!!! ;)

LOL...................I can just see one of my old infantry Sergeants saying this......

"Timbit!!!???..WTF is a Timbit???...........you want a small dognut???. christ sakes man, just eat the fu*)%# thing!!!!!!"

I am very keen on the idea of K9 units in many capacities.  When would you NOT appreciate a member of the team that can detect the enemy with nose and ear far before any human sense can?  Many excellent stories came out of Korea and Vietnam in which dogs negated enemy ambushes, raids, and minefields. 

Arguments against:

- From discussions with some handlers I was told that after two years of training the dog is only available for 2-4 years of duty before retirement.  Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

- Once an animal is retired they require a certified handler due to their specialized training and potential threat as a weapon.  The socially unacceptable alternative is to put the animal down.  Keep in mind pound animals would have been put down anyhow.

Those argument against sound pathetic to my ear in opposition to the derived benefits.  Can anyone on base imagine the idea of a kennel and training facility maintained through extra-curricular duty by the handlers and OC?

Tebo,

the career span of a dog is much longer than 2 years. I think you are looking at 5-7 years depending on the dog. Also most police dogs are integrated into civie homes upon retirement very easily. For military and police functions the dogs arent "weapons" per sae. The americans use them with lots of success.

Back