• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just another newbie...

Bianca

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on here for months and finally signed up because I feel like I have finally made a decision towards my future. I have a couple thoughts/questions and would really appreciate any feedback/comments towards anything I say, regardless of whether you disagree or agree.

I'm 23, from Montreal (currently in Ottawa) and made the decision a few years ago that I wanted to join the CF. I graduated high school in Montreal, did one year of CEGEP and then went straight to start a BA here in Ottawa. My original idea was to graduate and apply for a DEO program because I was extremely interested in the Public Affairs Officer position. Over time I've read your posts, done research, talked to recruiters through the chat on the Forces website (I am planning to go to the CFRC here in the coming weeks) and have slightly changed my mind. I have really lost my motivation towards my university degree. I don't want to spend 2 more years building up student loan debts and working just to pay the bills. I want to join the CF ASAP. On top of that, recruiters have told be the PAFO position is constantly over-subscribed, and I've read and heard stories of people with not only BAs but also MAs not getting the position. Plus, my BA is in PoliSci and therefore not one of the preferred degrees. All of these factors have led me to decide that I will not be returning to university this coming fall, and instead focus my attention on working full-time and saving money, starting to pay off student loans, and most importantly getting a personal trainer and starting a strict program to prepare myself for BMQ.

I was wondering (and have tried the 'search' but didn't find much) when they ask for transcripts, do they want transcripts for degrees which are not finished? Because this past semester my focus dropped completely and well, my marks are far from stellar. But I assume if I am not going the DEO route then a university transcript isn't really what's going to be focused on. I could be wrong of course, and that's what I'd like to know!

I have looked at a bunch of job descriptions, Signal Op seems to be standing out for me, but I'm open to anything (which I'm sure I will be directed to if I pass the CFAT, etc.)
Just wondering... what if I do enter a NCM (oh I hope I'm using that acronym right) position and once my contract is up I decide I want to actually go back and apply for PAFO. Can you do a ROTP once you've already done a contract? And since I have already started a BA would I be able to finish the one I have and then apply for a transfer or since my contract is up do I count as a new applicant anyway? I know this is wayyy far off into the future and a huge pile of "what ifs" but I'm still curious.

I am aware that the entire application process can take time, but I don't have a criminal record, I've always lived in Canada, I think everything's okay medically (I wear glasses, but I've read enough to think I'm fine for most positions since my vision isn't that bad,) and I already have some security clearance since I work for the government now (though I'm sure the CF will do their own clearance.) I want to work on my fitness significantly before I even have to go in for the medical, interview, etc so I might wait until I am satisfied with that.

Does it seem that I'm missing anything? I am so excited for this but also anxious, cause I know the smallest technicality can hold up an application/the entire process. I'm at the first stage here, and I know the best thing to do is to go to my CFRC and talk to them. I guess I just wanted to say hi (even though I feel like I know most of you already since I've been reading your posts so often) and let you know I will be posting more often (well, as much as a clueless civilian like me can.)

Oh, and I guess I should inform my family that I'm dropping out of university... to join the armed forces. That will be fun!

Anyways I apologise if this was long and boring to you, as I'm sure most "Hi I'm new!" posts are, but if you are still reading, thanks!

Bianca said:
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on here for months and finally signed up because I feel like I have finally made a decision towards my future. I have a couple thoughts/questions and would really appreciate any feedback/comments towards anything I say, regardless of whether you disagree or agree.

I'm 23, from Montreal (currently in Ottawa) and made the decision a few years ago that I wanted to join the CF. I graduated high school in Montreal, did one year of CEGEP and then went straight to start a BA here in Ottawa. My original idea was to graduate and apply for a DEO program because I was extremely interested in the Public Affairs Officer position. Over time I've read your posts, done research, talked to recruiters through the chat on the Forces website (I am planning to go to the CFRC here in the coming weeks) and have slightly changed my mind. I have really lost my motivation towards my university degree. I don't want to spend 2 more years building up student loan debts and working just to pay the bills. I want to join the CF ASAP. On top of that, recruiters have told be the PAFO position is constantly over-subscribed, and I've read and heard stories of people with not only BAs but also MAs not getting the position. Plus, my BA is in PoliSci and therefore not one of the preferred degrees. All of these factors have led me to decide that I will not be returning to university this coming fall, and instead focus my attention on working full-time and saving money, starting to pay off student loans, and most importantly getting a personal trainer and starting a strict program to prepare myself for BMQ.

I was wondering (and have tried the 'search' but didn't find much) when they ask for transcripts, do they want transcripts for degrees which are not finished? Because this past semester my focus dropped completely and well, my marks are far from stellar. But I assume if I am not going the DEO route then a university transcript isn't really what's going to be focused on. I could be wrong of course, and that's what I'd like to know!

When they ask for transcripts, yes, they are going to want to see all of your transcripts. That having been said, a single semester of bad marks, unless they are truly abysmal, aren't all that likely to completely kill your overall marks, and as well, if you are applying for a position that requires a high school diploma, poor marks in a single semester of university are unlikely to hurt you.

I have looked at a bunch of job descriptions, Signal Op seems to be standing out for me, but I'm open to anything (which I'm sure I will be directed to if I pass the CFAT, etc.)
Just wondering... what if I do enter a NCM (oh I hope I'm using that acronym right) position and once my contract is up I decide I want to actually go back and apply for PAFO. Can you do a ROTP once you've already done a contract?

Signal Op is indeed a good trade to be looking at right now. It's both overall short on personnel, as well as being one of the trades that has recently had trouble meeting its recruiting goals. The only way you can apply as an ROTP candidate after having enrolled as an NCM in the regular forces is if you enrolled, served some time, decided to get out, got out, and then decided to re-apply as an ROTP candidate. If you join as an NCM, and later wish to become an officer, the quickest method to do so if you do not have a degree yet (Or in your case, have part of a degree) is to apply for the University Training Program NCM, or UTPNCM. This program is, in essence, an ROTP program with more stringent entrance requirements (a combination of rank / qualification requirements, as well as requiring completion of a few university level courses, which you obviously have already completed.) Do a search on this site for UTPNCM, and you'll find a wealth of information on the program.

And since I have already started a BA would I be able to finish the one I have and then apply for a transfer or since my contract is up do I count as a new applicant anyway? I know this is wayyy far off into the future and a huge pile of "what ifs" but I'm still curious.

From what I can tell, for both ROTP, if you get out, or UTPNCM, if you are still serving when you apply, the transferability of the courses your currently have under your belt would depend upon how closely the courses you have match the required courses at the university you eventually complete your degree, for the particular program you eventually take. For example, should you enroll as a Signals Op, and decide that you want to become an Army Signals Officer, well then you'll require an engineering or science degree, thus most of your current BA courses will likely not be transferable. If you decide instead to try out for, and are accepted into, one of the other trades for which a BA is acceptable, then much of it may be transferable. Please note that if you have to spend an extra 2 years in school because you chose a trade for which the work you have already done is not transferable, this will result in an increase of the obligatory service that you incur.

I am aware that the entire application process can take time, but I don't have a criminal record, I've always lived in Canada, I think everything's okay medically (I wear glasses, but I've read enough to think I'm fine for most positions since my vision isn't that bad,) and I already have some security clearance since I work for the government now (though I'm sure the CF will do their own clearance.) I want to work on my fitness significantly before I even have to go in for the medical, interview, etc so I might wait until I am satisfied with that.

If you think this will be an issue, I highly suggest taking care of it before you apply.

Does it seem that I'm missing anything? I am so excited for this but also anxious, cause I know the smallest technicality can hold up an application/the entire process. I'm at the first stage here, and I know the best thing to do is to go to my CFRC and talk to them. I guess I just wanted to say hi (even though I feel like I know most of you already since I've been reading your posts so often) and let you know I will be posting more often (well, as much as a clueless civilian like me can.)

The only thing that I think you're missing is an option, and one that I highly recommend. You do at this point of time have the option of joining the reserves while continuing your education on your own, and then applying as a DEO. Whilst a member of the reserves, you not only would be able to get paid, and have them pay off a portion of your educational expenses, but you get a chance to "try it before you buy it." The chance to get a feel for how the Canadian Armed Forces is a fit for you, and vice versa. You come out of it with a radically different plan, based upon actual experience. Perhaps a MARS Officer, of a LogO? Or maybe you'll decide that the life of an NCM is just fine for you. Or you emerge convinced that your original plan is the way to go. In any case, once you do join the reg force, if you chose this path, you'll be doing so with your eyes wide open.

Bianca said:

Bianca. I was kinda in the same boat as you.  I had an unfinished degree and had two years of less than impressive marks at UofG in a BSc. program.  I didn't have my university transcript when i did my application but it was brought up in my interview and the recruiter said that even though i didn't have good marks in university, the transcript shows that you at least made it there. She said to me that if it ever came to a promotion and it was me with a couple years of university against someone with only their highschool diploma, it may help out to have that transcript.  So i didn't have it for my application process but i was told to bring it to BMQ and it would be added to my file.  So if I were you i would get your university transcript. I am going infantry by the way and leaving June.7 for BMQ.

Bianca said:
Oh, and I guess I should inform my family that I'm dropping out of university... to join the armed forces. That will be fun!

I'm in the same boat on that one  ;)

Thank you so much, gcclarke! I am definitely going to give more thought to the reserves option. And UTPNCM sounds like an amazing option. I appreciate you getting back to me!

pgrieves- that's really good to know, I'm glad they take the fact of being in university and doing part of it into consideration. Good luck at BMQ! You must be pretty damn excited.

bender- I told my mom this morning. She was unbelievably supportive. I have a feeling the rest of my family won't have the same kind of reaction. My dad might go into shock. Good luck with your turn breaking the news!

Bianca,

Sounds like you have put much thought into this and came up with an extremely logical solution.  I also tried the university route straight out of high school and found it wasn't for me either.  Although, in retrospect, I think it's because I was in the wrong program.

If you're not busy tonight, come to the Meet 'n Greet at the Lieutenant's Pump starting around 1830 (6:30 p.m.).

Bianca,

If you are looking at reserves while in university and still interested in becmogin a PFAO, the Naval Reserve has that as as an option. I would suggest, in Ottawa, give HMCS CARLETON recruiting office a call.  You would receive training in your respective occupation while earning money to pay for your education.

Back