• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Judge: $2M in "gifts" to stripper not taxable

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/08/20/montreal-stripper-canada-revenue-agency-gift-tax-court-decision.html#socialcomments

[ The Judge ]  said the relationship between Landry and the businessman developed to the point where they were like father and daughter and Canada Revenue Agency was wrong to treat the gifts as income for tax purposes.

Hmm... a whole new meaning to Sugar Daddy...

If I gave $2M to a stripper, the tax man would be the least of my problems.  The phrase "domestic homicide" comes to mind ...

Do you not have to declare gifts of $1000.00 or more.....they'll get her on income tax evasion.

There's no picture to go with the story.  >:(

Waiving taxes due is simply another way of subsidizing artistic expression with public funds.  The Association of Cultural Industries and Canada Council take note and quit whining.

Roy Harding said:
If I gave $2M to a stripper, the tax man would be the least of my problems.  The phrase "domestic homicide" comes to mind ...

:blotto: Oh well.

the relationship between Landry and the businessman developed to the point where they were like father and daughter

Ewwww, that's just disgusting.  :-X

GAP said:
Do you not have to declare gifts of $1000.00 or more.....they'll get her on income tax evasion.

You can't be charged with tax-evasion if there's nothing they can tax you for...

The Canada Revenue Agency and Revenue Quebec viewed the sums as income so they each sent Landry income tax bills for $400,000 and $643,000 respectively.

Tax Court of Canada Judge Robert Hogan on Thursday agreed with Landry that the sums were gifts and therefore not taxable under federal law.

Gee, I wish I had $2,000,000.00 to give to a stripper...my wife would kill me then take the $2M ~~~

But CCRA would tax that burial and take the $2M back from the wife...something is fishy there....gotta love the tax man... ;D

:2c:

Back